Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you lend your books?

(63 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jul-22 18:32:16

At the start of covid I lent a friend a book which was first in a series I liked. I would like to reread the series now and have asked her to return the book. First she said she never had it,then a while later she found it but has not returned it.I mentioned the series again to another friend and both said they had not heard of the author. As a last resort I said I was returning books I had bowwowed and did anyone have any of mine. No was the answer so I think I will have to buy another copy!

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jul-22 18:32:43

Borrowed.

PamelaJ1 Sat 16-Jul-22 18:32:54

Not any more!

Shelflife Sat 16-Jul-22 18:37:07

Don't know know what it is about books , lend them to someone and they never come back!!

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jul-22 18:41:22

I discovered my dil has a different system to me. When she puts her initial on a book it means she and her mother have read it and it can go. When I initial it it means I want it back!We understand each other now but I did lose several hard backs due to this misunderstanding.

VioletSky Sat 16-Jul-22 18:49:18

I dont lend books anymore...

Some people read books once and done...

Some people will revisit a few things...

For me, I will read the same 15 to 20 series of books over and over.

And I was about to say I have heard this is an anxiety thing because you know what comes next but, actually, all these books I have been reading since I was quite young and they were just given by my uncle and father.

I think in an unhappy childhood they were a safe place.

I read far less these days.

Either way, when books didn't come back it was too stressful so I stopped lending them.

Sara1954 Sat 16-Jul-22 19:02:50

Absolutely not!
My brother was born at home one winter’s night, and all my dad ever had to say about it, was that the midwife borrowed a book and never returned it.

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jul-22 19:07:04

I want to re read the series because I heard the author puts in things I missed the first time and also the characters pasts are important.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jul-22 19:07:23

I've hardly got any now.
I packed them up and sent them on their way.

Someone used to borrow books from me sometimes, and they came back all scribbled over by her children, and with pages torn out.
That really annoyed me.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-Jul-22 19:07:31

Yes, but only to people i trust, and only books with my name in them!

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jul-22 19:07:45

Its Louise Penny. Has anyone read them?

H1954 Sat 16-Jul-22 19:11:02

No, I stopped lending stuff years ago as did my OH. We have a sign on the garage door "the bloke who lends tools is on long term sick"!

kittylester Sat 16-Jul-22 19:21:14

Only to one friend and we check and recheck which we want back or can pass on. Been doing it this way for.40 years.

M0nica Sat 16-Jul-22 19:28:47

rarely

welbeck Sat 16-Jul-22 19:32:30

why don't you just buy another copy.
it's easier than ever now, with the internet to trace even out of print books.
that's what i'd do, rather than worrying about it.
and never lend them again, of course.
don't put yourself in a position where your peace of mind is beholden to other people's behaviour.

Mine Sat 16-Jul-22 19:53:40

I'm re reading a book just now that I read many years ago...Its the first time Iv ever done this....I buy books and pass them on to friends or charity shop when I finish reading them...

Patsy70 Sat 16-Jul-22 20:02:14

I happily lend/give books to family and friends, who always ask if I’d like them back. I would only ask for them back if I haven’t read it already myself (I have a Kindle, so rarely read books these days).

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Jul-22 20:14:25

Usually give them away when we’ve read them, 99% paperbacks.

Zonne Sat 16-Jul-22 20:30:40

Only to a couple of people. I used to be less selective, and learnt the hard way that wasn’t a great idea.

I borrow books from the same people, and keep half a bookshelf specifically for those, so there’s no danger of them getting mixed in with
my own, or lost.

AreWeThereYet Sat 16-Jul-22 20:38:37

Except for my 'comfort' books that I read over and over and never lend to anyone I just give them away once I've read them. Unlike Mr A who keeps every book he buys and lends them only to me.

Floradora9 Sat 16-Jul-22 20:59:31

kircubbin2000

Its Louise Penny. Has anyone read them?

Yes I have read them all and enjoyed them.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Jul-22 21:01:00

My friend used to say that paperbacks were meant to be read and passed on.
I do that but put my initials in if I want the book back.

Hardbacks I tend to keep and also some paperbacks I might re-read.

However, there's a limit to just how many books we can house!
We still have books from our childhood, books from our parents, reference books, books about hobbies.
We'll never be able to downsize.

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Jul-22 21:12:47

No, not anymore same as vinyl records.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Jul-22 21:15:35

timetogo2016

No, not anymore same as vinyl records.

I still remember the vinyls I put into the first Blue Peter Grand and Buy Sale!

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Jul-22 21:16:01

Bring and Buy Sale !!