Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hairdressing rant

(55 Posts)
honeyrose Fri 22-Jul-22 22:26:24

What is it with hairdressers?! They often don’t understand that one centimetre off the length means one centimetre off the length - please!! They nearly always cut off much more. My hair is collar length and I had it cut today. I indicated how much I wanted trimming off with my thumb and first finger as the word “centimetre” or “half an inch” seems to mean nothing. The hairdresser even agreed with me that that was all that was required. So what do I see on the floor afterwards? About an inch and a half of hair. The photograph I showed the hairdresser - twice - for the style I wanted wasn’t adhered to without a word as to why not. Why do I often come away from the hairdresser without the result I want, even though I’ve tried my hardest to explain my requirements? This was a new hairdresser I tried today, but it has happened before with other stylists. Frustrating.

Baggs Sat 23-Jul-22 10:38:55

I think they need to get to know your head so going to new hairdressers often won’t help.

maddyone Sat 23-Jul-22 10:47:08

I have a fantastic hairdresser. I used to go to her colleague, who was also good, but very sadly she became ill with cancer and died. I moved over to my present hairdresser who owns the salon, and she’s equally good or even better than my previous hairdresser. However I never go to the salon without my previous hairdresser, who became a friend as well as a hairdresser.

travelsafar Sat 23-Jul-22 10:59:36

I used the same hairdresser for years and the younger girls came and went. The owner started cutting my hair and i wasn't always happy with it. During lockdown and afterwards i did i admitt neglect my hair and just let it grow clipping back my fringe in an attempt to grow i out. Finally i decided to go get it cut to jaw length. Did i use that hairdresser....no i didn't as i thought one of the more stylish ones in town would have up to date methods of hair cutting and styling. It was a disaster. An expensive one too. I ended up going back to my original hairdresser 2 weeks later and made some feeble excuse, she was fine and said dont worry we will sort it out. She did as well. Although she is a very oldfashioned HD, lots of older ladies having perms and shampoos and set i will stick to her for the future. I intend to grow it but i need my fringe trimming and a small amount trimming from the bottom to encourage thickness, on a regular basis I can cope with her maybe being a bit scissor happy. A lesson learned indeed.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Jul-22 11:25:58

Men always get exactly the cut they ask for.
If they want a comb over, they're given just that.

None of this "that will be too long" business.

Esmay Sat 23-Jul-22 11:35:35

The only person that I trust with pair of scissors is my daughter .

She's not a hairdresser , but a highly gifted artist snd art teacher .
She does lots of people's hair including hairdressers .
She has a feel for creating things -anything .

My hair is really curly and the times that I've come out of the hairdressers in tears are too numerous to count - fringes cut right up my forehead and hair inches longer one side than the other .

As I've tried to explain about my hair I can see the look of bored indifference of the faces of most hairdressers .
If they did a good job I'd be back !

So it's really long .
I trim it myself when I dye it .
If I had a short cut - I'd use the clippers , which I use on my father's and son's hair routinely .

The first time would be awful and after that - I'd be used to doing it !

Mine Sat 23-Jul-22 11:42:23

Iv got long hair so only get a trim every 6months...I'm laughing at some of the descriptions of your haircuts grans...Especially the ones about the "demi waves"...

Lucca Sat 23-Jul-22 11:48:52

MissAdventure

Men always get exactly the cut they ask for.
If they want a comb over, they're given just that.

None of this "that will be too long" business.

Not necessarily! My bloke kept getting awful haircuts and was far too nice to say anything so kept going back! I put my foot down and made him go somewhere else finally

Nanna58 Sat 23-Jul-22 11:57:19

I had a Demi Wave to ‘ give it some body’ many years ago thinking it would be easier to deal with as I was having a back operation. Best thing I could have done, I was so upset about the state of my hair I didn’t give the operation a second thought!?

midgey Sat 23-Jul-22 11:59:28

Lucca I totally agree, my husband went to a Turkish barber with a long beard and quite a lot of hair, he came out looking bald with a quiff! I couldn’t help myself but just collapsed in hoots of laughter. Poor man!

MissAdventure Sat 23-Jul-22 12:01:30

grin
My ex went to the Turkish barbers here, and came out with long sideburns, a comb over, and a twirl looking moustache.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Jul-22 12:06:19

I have a wonderful hairdresser - he does exactly what I want and even cried when I asked him to shave my head before it fell out with chemo.
I have difficult hair now as it is very thin and where once was curly is now dead straight but I always come out feeling wonderful.

Nanna58 Sat 23-Jul-22 12:16:13

?Dragonfly, he sounds an absolute treasure

Ali08 Sat 23-Jul-22 12:51:21

Chewbacca

Do you remember those huge, wide toothed combs you had to use? My hair was so tightly curled, they were like bed springs, and it was just a mass of frizz in a morning and nothing could get through it! They seemed to last forever too!

Afro combs.

Smileless2012 Sat 23-Jul-22 13:54:28

I found my current hair dresser when we moved here. She's excellent and I've never had it cut better but, my fringe can be an issue. If I don't keep an eye on the proceedings she has been known to cut it too short.

She calls me 'fringe gate'grin.

Cabbie21 Sat 23-Jul-22 14:15:27

I have had various hairdressers at the same salon. One was great but could talk for England, and stopped work to do so. When she left to have a baby I-tried various others, found one I liked, but she left to start her own business. Then the salon merged with another, with huge staff turnover. My hairdresser is now the new owner. After lockdown she was so patient, trying different cuts and colours until I was happy. She doesn't chat much either. She now does exactly as I ask, no problems.

SachaMac Sat 23-Jul-22 14:24:08

I have had some very good hairdressers but then they often move on to pastures new & don’t or can’t say where they’re going. The salon then try to get you to book in with a different stylist who may not be as good.

I have had a few disasters over the years, including the wash n go perms but then many of us had those in the 80’s. A few years ago I had a lovely sleek bob, I went off to what was my usual salon for a cut and came out with what can only be described as a ‘bed head, dragged through a hedge backwards’ style & cut, nothing like the style I asked for, it was my birthday & I actually sat & cried when I got home.

I think on occasions sone hairdressers can get a little complacent, especially when you have been going for a long time. I was kept waiting ages the last time I went to my regular HD, then I had to try & rearrange my next appointment due to another commitment and they couldn’t fit me in for weeks which was no good to me. I have stopped going there now & have found a great stylist at a more local salon. I do think a change is good every now & then.

Franbern Sat 23-Jul-22 15:09:52

Do wonder what hairdressers think when show photos as to how we want our hair to look, when they know there is no way that it is possible for this to happen. Rather like going into a boutique with a photo of a top model and saying this is what we want and we are just five foot tall, and size 18!!!

A hairdresser can only mould our hair so far. Particularly when we are just asking for a cut and blow dry sort of thing.

As for cutting too much off, think this is partially to do with getting everything nice and even. So, when hairdresser stands and looks at you through the mirror fingering the two sides of the hair, they are trying to get both to the same length. So a small amount of one aide, may be just that too much and a bit more has to come off other side.

Personally, I would much prefer to come out with it too short rather too long still. Saves me having to go back and spend more money there for a few weeks. Hair has that incredible habit of growing!!!!

Lovetopaint037 Sat 23-Jul-22 15:25:33

I Havel a good hairdresser. Went to her for a few years as she listened and actually did what I wanted. Then she changed salons and I asked if she would do my hair at home. She has been coming for about five years. I pay her £60 although it would be a lot more at her salon. Worth every penny. Just relax and she does a good job and we have a nice chat.

biglouis Sun 24-Jul-22 16:38:27

I cant remember the last time I went to a hairdresser because I have long hair so its easy to keep tidy. I just get my nephew to chop half an inch off the ends once a month. If I say to trim half an inch I can trust him to do that.

Yammy Sun 24-Jul-22 16:47:08

Chewbacca

^I think the demi wave was the ultimate "totally different than you wanted" hairstyle.^

OMG MissA I'd forgotten about the demi wave! In the 1970s, I had bone straight, shoulder length hair and had a demi wave to "put some body" into it. I came out looking like a spaniel! grin

When I had my poker straight hair demi waved DH told me I looked like Shirley William the then M.P she must have been about my mother's age. He's still my DH but wasn't for quite a few weeks at the time.grin

Chewbacca Sun 24-Jul-22 16:53:56

grin If the demi wave was supposed to be a more relaxed version of a perm, I'm glad I never tried the full thing Yammy!

annodomini Sun 24-Jul-22 17:36:25

I have had only one perm in my life. Never again. Demi-wave? Think poodle!

Yammy Sun 24-Jul-22 18:01:50

Chewbacca

grin If the demi wave was supposed to be a more relaxed version of a perm, I'm glad I never tried the full thing Yammy!

I think they got the size of the rods wrong it looked like seaweed. I spent ages trying to blow dry it straight every time I washed it but it just seemed to get curlier and it cost a bomb at one of The hairdressers in N/C at the time.

Baggytrazzas Sun 24-Jul-22 23:24:08

Yammy

Chewbacca

I think they got the size of the rods wrong it looked like seaweed. I spent ages trying to blow dry it straight every time I washed it but it just seemed to get curlier and it cost a bomb at one of The hairdressers in N/C at the time.

Yammy - seaweed!! [grin[grin[grin[grin[grin my sides are hurting laughing.

I had one demi wave " to give my fine straight hair body" that lasted until it grew out. About a year. Then my mum decided that a home perm kit in a pink box - think it was called a Prom - would be a good idea. My reddish fine collar length hair with no actual style it just sort of hung around then became an orange frizz that sat high around my head like the sun, for about a year then was straight to my ears with a frizzy orange bush below my ears. No hair conditioner in those days - pure frizz until it eventually got cut out after 2 years. never ever again. I didn't have an afro comb then but I do now and use it every day to comb conditioner through.
I might be over compensating for the earlier deprivation !

clementine Tue 09-Aug-22 17:32:20

Interesting , glad it's just not me who isn't happy with hairdresser. My problem is I have been going to the same one for about 20 years, then he married and both he and his wife who had been a colleague opened up their owns along and I have been with them ever since,. The problem is , he does the same old same old every time, never suggests anything different . If I show a photo I may get a slight variation but that's it. Regards colour, it's his wife who is the colour expert but despite doing my hair for years, I can come out with a different colour at various times. Last couple times it was perfect , this time much too dark yet she always refers to my " card" so I don't understand how it can vary . Hopefully with plenty of washes it will lighten as I have a significant event coming up and of course that's the time the colour isn't right.

they are now away on two weeks holiday so I can't even go back and ask for it to be lightened !!