Gransnet forums

AIBU

Women athletes’ clothing

(118 Posts)
Nannymags27 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:00:43

AIBU in thinking that what the women wear in, for example, gymnastics and athletics is verging on the obscene? I understand the need for streamlined clothing but some of them might as well be wearing nothing ?‍♀️.

Fleurpepper Tue 23-Aug-22 17:40:44

MawtheMerrier

Because spectators watch diving?

What is there to be self conscious about? confusedconfused

Spectators watch diving for the diving? Or is it like beach volley. Why should young women have to show their bums to entertain- the boys/men don't.

Franbern Mon 22-Aug-22 08:41:00

When athletes oppose the outfits they are told to wear, then I give them my full support. (eg: beach volley ball), however, the gymnasts and divers (both groups have been mentioned on this thread), have not made any sort of protest or appear to be at all unhappy with their attire.
Their beautifully toned, and healthy bodies just look wonderful.

happycatholicwife1 Mon 22-Aug-22 01:41:36

No, you are not.

Caleo Tue 09-Aug-22 11:28:13

I saw a TV programme yesterday about sharks. Their skin is super-stream lined. The textile gurus invented a textile that imitates sharks' skin and it is so efficient at increasing swimmers' speed they had to ban it in competitions.

It seems athletic clothing is very thoughtfully engineered.

annodomini Tue 09-Aug-22 09:40:14

The (very) briefs the male divers wear appear to be painted on! They might as well be wearing posing pouches! But they do enable spectacular performances. Can they get any more brief?

Galaxy Tue 09-Aug-22 08:57:30

I am not sexualising anything I am supporting the female athletes who have complained about their attire. Those who have complained dont feel happy in their attire such as the Norwegian team who were fined for their protest. But yes much easier to shout prude.

Franbern Tue 09-Aug-22 08:51:36

They feel good and happy in those cossies. No diver or gymnast, etc would be able to compete properly if they were NOT comfortable in their attire.
Wish people on here would stop trying to sexualise everything and just sit back and enjoy and appreciate the incredible talent and work displayed.

MawtheMerrier Mon 08-Aug-22 12:38:00

Because spectators watch diving?

What is there to be self conscious about? confusedconfused

Fleurpepper Mon 08-Aug-22 12:20:33

Franbern

When two of my daughters were involved in high level competitive diving, they could never find costumes that had high legs. Most of the female divers back then (late 80's/early 90's) would carefully be tucking up the legs of their cossies, in order to try to make their legs look longer. Much more uncomfortable than the present day cossies which have proper high leg cut.

By the time a diver reaches the level of being able to represent their countries as such big events, they are well used to wearing their costumes in front of audiances, and are far more concerned about their dives and entry into water, than anything else.

Fair enough- but what is the point. Why do they have to get used to it?

MawtheMerrier Mon 08-Aug-22 12:17:24

I don’t accept for a minute that “body image pressure” has anything to do with high cut legs on cossies or skimpy budgie smugglers. Grant the divers some intelligence, please.
Have some grans run out of things to cluck about? grin

MawtheMerrier Mon 08-Aug-22 12:13:12

Chardy

If you're watching the mixed synchronised diving, the difference between the male and female attire from the back is 'noticeable'.

The hips and derrière of males and females are different too, for anybody who hadn’t noticed.

Chardy Mon 08-Aug-22 11:42:23

If you're watching the mixed synchronised diving, the difference between the male and female attire from the back is 'noticeable'.

ixion Sun 07-Aug-22 14:28:20

By the time a diver reaches the level of being able to represent their countries as such big events, they are well used to wearing their costumes in front of audiances, and are far more concerned about their dives and entry into water, than anything else.

Ah, thank you! I hadn't thought of it like that!?‍♀️

Franbern Sun 07-Aug-22 08:49:13

When two of my daughters were involved in high level competitive diving, they could never find costumes that had high legs. Most of the female divers back then (late 80's/early 90's) would carefully be tucking up the legs of their cossies, in order to try to make their legs look longer. Much more uncomfortable than the present day cossies which have proper high leg cut.

Summerlove Sat 06-Aug-22 22:46:41

You’re welcome

I went down a rabbit hole searching myself a few days ago

ixion Sat 06-Aug-22 22:13:24

Thank you - that's very interesting!

Summerlove Sat 06-Aug-22 22:06:21

ixion

^the swimsuits are so high cut the girls must have Brazilian waxes to be able to wear them!!!^

Some of these girls are 17. Can you imagine the sixth former who has discovered a talent at, say, school or club level, possibly struggling with self-consciousness or body image of a developing teenager, finding that to perform at this level, they have to wear outfits they are not comfortable with and undergo waxing etc they really hadn't bargained for?

Can anyone establish who sets these outfit rules?

FINA has to approve suits. However There appear to be quite a few brands that have approval so I’m wondering if it’s down to the athletes themselves to choose what they like best

NanKate Fri 05-Aug-22 22:21:15

On the whole I think the costumes worn by both men and women in the games have been fine and show off their streamline/slim bodies. Hope I’m allowed to give a up thumbs up ? to slim, honed bodies. Sadly my body has seen better days.

Mattsmum2 Fri 05-Aug-22 20:04:52

ixion

^the swimsuits are so high cut the girls must have Brazilian waxes to be able to wear them!!!^

Some of these girls are 17. Can you imagine the sixth former who has discovered a talent at, say, school or club level, possibly struggling with self-consciousness or body image of a developing teenager, finding that to perform at this level, they have to wear outfits they are not comfortable with and undergo waxing etc they really hadn't bargained for?

The diving men have no visible hair!

Zonne Fri 05-Aug-22 19:52:59

On the other hand: sportsbrief.com/athletics/21363-embarrassing-scenes-italian-runners-penis-middle-race/

ixion Fri 05-Aug-22 19:18:12

the swimsuits are so high cut the girls must have Brazilian waxes to be able to wear them!!!

Magrithea Fri 05-Aug-22 18:35:33

Nannymags27

AIBU in thinking that what the women wear in, for example, gymnastics and athletics is verging on the obscene? I understand the need for streamlined clothing but some of them might as well be wearing nothing ?‍♀️.

i was wondering the same watching the diving last night - the swimsuits are so high cut the girls must have Brazilian waxes to be able to wear them!!!

Fudgemonkey Fri 05-Aug-22 17:36:37

The trunks of the men in diving ?why can't they wear more! ? ?

Summerlove Fri 05-Aug-22 13:14:08

Cold

Actually the athletes wearing the smallest outfits seem to be male divers - will we be telling them to cover up?

Of course not.

On other threads here Ladies talk openly about ogling certain Male movie stars. Apparently that is acceptable.

nadateturbe Fri 05-Aug-22 13:04:01

Fleurpepper

No, not at all. But no need for exposing all either.

Agree.