Gransnet forums

AIBU

Women athletes’ clothing

(117 Posts)
Nannymags27 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:00:43

AIBU in thinking that what the women wear in, for example, gymnastics and athletics is verging on the obscene? I understand the need for streamlined clothing but some of them might as well be wearing nothing ?‍♀️.

sweetcakes Tue 02-Aug-22 14:01:30

Yes.

Septimia Tue 02-Aug-22 14:06:17

Agreed - and some of the men's is rather revealing, too - far too much detail visible!

yggdrasil Tue 02-Aug-22 15:18:21

Tradtional Greek Olympics, athletes and gymnasts was all done in the nude. What is obscene about a human body?

J52 Tue 02-Aug-22 15:22:23

You are being unreasonable. Athlete’s clothing is designed to be stream line in order to take the most advantage of speed against air resistance.

Baggytrazzas Tue 02-Aug-22 15:24:56

I've obviously not paid enough attention to either the male or female athletes clothing so will watch much more closely for the next few days then come back with my opinion later. But I'm not sure how it could possibly be offensive in any way - is a body not a body and most of us have got similar " bits" ?

Blondiescot Tue 02-Aug-22 15:30:33

Offensive? Really? Some people must be very easily 'offended'...

Mattsmum2 Tue 02-Aug-22 15:30:35

I guess they have to wear what they have to wear. I see the female athletes from the Maldives are covered down to their knees and wear a head covering, quite a disadvantage but there you go!

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 16:06:21

I keep looking but can't find anything obscene yet.
Well done, Latalia!

BlueBelle Tue 02-Aug-22 16:24:13

I haven’t seen anything obscene or offensive or concerning what would you like then to wear something that only shows their ankles
Totally unreasonable I m afraid nannymags they all look fine, watch what they re doing instead of what they wear

Fleur20 Tue 02-Aug-22 16:25:07

Well I think there IS a disparity between the male and female gymnasts in particular... the men have short and vests but the women have skintight leotards.. and these ride up their buttocks sometimes.. and apparently they are penalised if they then adjust/ pull them back down.
I see no reason the women shouldnt be wearing the same shorts and vests.. equality and all that!!!

Galaxy Tue 02-Aug-22 16:32:33

There have been a number of incidents of female athletes complaining about the clothing they are expected to wear compared to males.

Blondiescot Tue 02-Aug-22 16:44:19

What about some of the skimpy costumes they wear in those ice skating and dancing programmes on TV? Surely they're just as revealing?

Katie59 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:09:07

Septimia

Agreed - and some of the men's is rather revealing, too - far too much detail visible!

Nothing new about that male ballet dancers have always had everything on show but covered up.
Even in the ultra conservative times 100 yrs ago.

Cold Tue 02-Aug-22 17:10:54

I haven't seen any "obscene" clothing

I most sports there is a choice of clothing anyway

We really need to stop bodyshaming young female athletes

Visgir1 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:11:50

No.. . I wish I could wear them

BlueBelle Tue 02-Aug-22 17:13:21

Don’t you watch what they re doing and not what they look like in their sports clothes
I guess you fainted whenthe lady footballer took her top off ( although her bra was a big old sports bra that revealed nothing

Kim19 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:17:52

Can't say I've noticed. Probably too interested in their performance. Wouldn't offend me either way. I'm aware of the human body. I was actually relieved for our second goal scorer that she was well covered underneath as I believe she pulled off her shirt in sheer euphoria without rational thinking. Wonderful.

halfpint1 Tue 02-Aug-22 17:24:39

Well when the female gymnastics do their stuff often their
all in one , which is skin tight to begin with, does go up their
bottom. Thats a bit too uncomfortable to look at.
Many moons ago one of my daughters was in a volleyball
team, shorts and a tea shirt, she was about 15 and it was a
biggish competition, she remarked to me afterwards how
she hated some of the male spectators who 'leered' at them.
So even the competitors are uncomfortable with their attire
at times.

MissAdventure Tue 02-Aug-22 17:33:43

Not knowing anything about athletics, are the women given a choice on what to wear?
If not, then of course they should be.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 02-Aug-22 17:47:32

I have never understood why women need to have their midriffs bare for running but men wear t-shirts which meet their shorts. Does anyone know if there is a practical reason?

Rosie51 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:11:53

MissAdventure

Not knowing anything about athletics, are the women given a choice on what to wear?
If not, then of course they should be.

I think it's changing now, because there was dissent, but the rules for beach volleyball dictated that female competitors had to wear skimpy bikini briefs (the side measurement not to be greater than a couple of inches or something similar) and crop top, while the male competitors wore a vest and shorts. Pure sexism!

vegansrock Tue 02-Aug-22 18:12:09

I’m guessing the topped top that women athletes wear is also a bra top, whereas if they wore a long vest, they’d have to wear a sports bra underneath and that would be an extra layer.

Summerlove Tue 02-Aug-22 18:15:16

Fleur20

Well I think there IS a disparity between the male and female gymnasts in particular... the men have short and vests but the women have skintight leotards.. and these ride up their buttocks sometimes.. and apparently they are penalised if they then adjust/ pull them back down.
I see no reason the women shouldnt be wearing the same shorts and vests.. equality and all that!!!

Men often wear small leotards - or leggings with feet.

Women can and do compete in full body suits. many high profile athletes have discussed this and choose to wear the smaller leotards. They view it as the uniform of their job.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:16:42

vegansrock

I’m guessing the topped top that women athletes wear is also a bra top, whereas if they wore a long vest, they’d have to wear a sports bra underneath and that would be an extra layer.

I think you are correct.

Minimum clothing equates to minimum chaffing and helps with drag/aerodynamics, all athletic disciplines have an army of sports scientists behind them.

Clothing in sport is not normally a fashion choice, but covered by multiple regulations.