Gransnet forums

AIBU

Etiquette after taking in a neighbour's parcel?

(101 Posts)
BlushingSheep Tue 27-Sep-22 01:15:41

Today, I, against my better judgement, took in a neighbour's parcel. This is not a NDN but someone a little further down the street who NEVER comes and collects. I always end up calling there several times over the course of a few days before I can offload it (and, the delivery guy always leaves a card) After the last time I vowed never to do it again, and yet...

So, here's the thing. If I take in a parcel for a NDN, they come and collect it from me and vice versa. I thought this was the normal way of things. It's your parcel so you go and fetch it.

What do you do?

rowyn Wed 28-Sep-22 14:32:17

Deliver present package. Then refuse to take in any more parcels for that address. You don't need to tell the neighbour - just the delivery person!

melp1 Wed 28-Sep-22 14:49:55

I would take in for neighbours either side and if it was for someone I knew on the street ( but nothing large as it would stay in my front porch which isn't very big. Would probably take it round if they hadn't collected after a couple of days.
Having said that we were once left a card which just said Karn on it & had no idea where it had been delivered, had to contact the delivery firm who then gave us the address of some new people on the street, so sometimes it may not be your neighbours fault that they haven't collected.

HeavenLeigh Wed 28-Sep-22 14:51:59

Well I no longer do it simply because I’ve had some parcels left with my neighbour and despite me knocking and ringing their bell they take days and I’m not joking there’s four of them live there and they just do not answer the door I can see them looking at me through there blinds as they are tilted it’s a power thing! I ve also told them please do not take my parcels in as we can collect them at our usual pick up depot which is a darn sight easier than waiting four days to get our parcels handed over, so no I don’t take anyones parcels in for them! I find it all very weird with this one family

HeavenLeigh Wed 28-Sep-22 14:56:33

No I wouldn’t be doing it blushing sheep! The person that the parcel is for will have their name on it they will get a card telling them where it is, it’s down to them to go and collect it , not having the person taking them in job to deliver it , unless they like being postman Pat,

4allweknow Wed 28-Sep-22 15:03:07

What's the point of the delivery person telling someone where their parcel is if they don't go and collect it. I always go and collect anything if left with a neighbour afrer all they have done me a favour by taking it in. Would never expect them to deliver to me.

HowdidIgetthisold12 Wed 28-Sep-22 15:15:57

3dognight

I’m not sure there is a right way tbh.
I only take parcels in for neighbouring houses maybe two or three doors max each side, and the ones I can see across the road from front window.
I would always try to take it over at the first opportunity, or husband would. Some people have huge items delivered and I just want them out of my way.
For someone who never collected quickly, especially if I had tried to take it round a couple of times I would lock it in the shed till they came and asked after it.

This happened to me a few times with neighbours right opposite. In general they didn't speak he would wave but she completely blanked us. Like you a few times I knocked on the door - no answer - despite their cars being outside. In the end I just gave up and took the parcels in and they had to collect as and when. Same thing with another neighbour never deigned to say thanks for taking parcel in so I just advised courier that I wouldn't take his parcels in at all. I don't need to be a doormat for crappy neighbours

Theoddbird Wed 28-Sep-22 15:32:22

Still trying to figure out what an NDN is. Why do people not use proper words...sighs

biglouis Wed 28-Sep-22 16:08:41

Still trying to figure out what an NDN is. Why do people not use proper words...sighs

Well on a thread that is clearly about taking in parcels for close neighbours that should not be too difficult to grasp!

Maybe some people are using tablets or phones to post and others have arthritic hands so use common abbraviations such as NDN, MIL, and so on. Good job this is not mumsnet with the numerous abbreviations they use over there. Some folks even own Ddogs and Dcats.

welbeck Wed 28-Sep-22 16:28:11

Petalpop

It never happens down our road. We all have porchways and delivery drivers just leave them there. I never wait in for a parcel because I know it will be left in the porch, even my veg delivery each week.

if the porches are unlocked, don't the parcels get stolen ?

Thisismyname1953 Wed 28-Sep-22 16:50:57

I’m disabled and can take a while to get to the front door, especially if I am upstairs when the courier arrives. In the tick box I request that they leave my parcels in the front porch. I think initially they were worried about doing this as it is not an enclosed porch but I’m ouch
Ky enough to live in a very low crime area . It’s a cul de sac of about 30 houses with no passing foot traffic as most people leave in their cars . Also our house is in the corner , well set back from the road and I’ve not lost a parcel yet , Touch wood?.
I prefer them not to knock as my DD is a nurse working 12 hour nights and the knocking sets the dogs off barking which wakes her up ?‍??

sunglow12 Wed 28-Sep-22 17:26:47

My middle son took in a neighbours delivery parcel and got bitten by the peoples dog so badly he spent 7 hours in A and E to have stitches ; tetanus injection and a week of antibiotics. If he had taken his 2 small sons they could have been bitten in the face ( have seen that as a nurse) . The people were going to take back to dog rescue but they wouldn’t take him back until he had a psychological assessment and so still there !

HeavenLeigh Wed 28-Sep-22 18:25:31

Big Louis NDN is next door neighbour

Treetops05 Wed 28-Sep-22 18:46:27

I once had a delivery chap appear and ask if he could leave a parcel for next door. They'd only just moved in, so I said yes. 'Great, I'll go and get them...' and skips off. Them I thought? THEM?? Then four men come staggering down the drive, with parts of a DIY kitchen! Was that all? No - another 15 to come, an oven, American fridge, microwave and dishwasher ! I refused and they left among a cloud of foul language

CanadianGran Wed 28-Sep-22 20:30:42

granjan, love that! I do have the what3words app, which is also good for emergencies.

jerseygirl Wed 28-Sep-22 21:30:41

I used to take in parcels for a neighbour like that. I dont take any parcels in for anyone now

jocork Wed 28-Sep-22 23:25:30

I've had parcels delivered to neighbours when I was at work but the delivery driver failed to leave a card. I got as far as contacting the company to say it hadn't arrived when I happened to see the neighbour who said he'd had my parcel for ages. He was waiting assuming I'd collect and I had no idea it was there! I rarely take in parcels for neighbours as they are at home more than me but if I do I'm happy to take it round unless it is heavy.

On one occasion, years ago, I received a parcel addressed to '52 Priory Rd' which was left behind my bin and a card through the door. Since my house is no. 25 in a differently named road but opposite 'Priory School' I was unsure what to do, but decided to take it to the intended recipient as obviously they would not know where it was. They were very grateful. I also contacted the delivery company 'Hermes' to tell them what I'd done and suggest they were a bit more efficient in future. Sadly their customer service department were as inefficient as their delivery drivers. They could not understand the situation and thought I was complaining about a missing parcel. There was a prolonged exchange of emails while they continued to misunderstand the situation, so in the end I suggested that as I'd carried out the delivery perhaps they should pay me for doing so! Their next email offered me a discount on my next order with them! My response? "In what world do you think I would ever send a parcel with your company whatever the discount!"

Even now I groan inwardly when I realise that a parcel I'm expecting will be delivered by them, though I haven't had anything go missing so far. It seems the company has changed its name. Presumably trying to shake of its atrocious reputation!

biglouis Thu 29-Sep-22 00:15:40

Yes HeavenLeigh I know what NDN means. Its made quite clear in the OP's opening remarks that this is about taking in parcels for neighbours..

Someone else upthread was complaining about the common abbreviations used on this forum and why can we not write the actual words. If you join a forum and then complain about common usages it makes you look rather like a newbie who has not bothered to learn the ropes.

Gabrielle56 Fri 30-Sep-22 08:38:31

I'm strict on who accept delivery for. Just because we're retired it was becoming obvious that some cheeky bl33ders were putting our number as alternative delivery option!!! Ok methinks we'll see about that trick! I refuse point blank ALL deliveries other than immediate NDN both sides and a chum opposite.delivery people soon get the message and stop trudging up my drive to dump the packages! Be strict and protect yourself too from dodgy incidents resulting from maybe damage or missing stuff for neighbours you don't have anything to do with otherwise.!

Gabrielle56 Fri 30-Sep-22 08:41:07

If any one of the past deliverers had been 'funny' with me they would have had their package left on the front doorstep or better still , chucked over the back fence, fitness allowing on my part!!!!

biglouis Fri 30-Sep-22 16:02:44

A few years back - before the internet - I had a job re-advising people when their catalogue goods were going to arrive. People would order heavy stuff like fridges, coorkers etc. Then when I told them which day their goods were arriving they would begin bleating about being at work. At the call center we were under pressure to make X calls in the shift so you can well imagine that these calls were brief. Responsibility rested with the customer.

What emerged was the recognition of a body of people who lived in a fairlyland where they ordered goods which magically appeared in their homes with no effort.

Nowadays we have the internet and smart phones which make such matters far easier. If people are going to order stuff its upto them to take a bit of adult responsibility for their own deliveries. If the postie or courier leaves a card you have the option of picking it up from the depot/post office or arranging online for a delivery on a day you can be in.

I rarely miss a package delivery (for myself) but when I do get a card I am straight onto the computer to arrange redelivery and make a note in my diary. Its certainly not rocket science.

Blod424 Wed 05-Oct-22 15:15:14

I have worked from home for many years, so was a “sitting duck” for all the parcel delivery companies. I didn’t mind taking in a few parcels, but during lockdown it increased tenfold. It got to the point where I put sign on my door stating I would no longer take mail or parcels for any other household.
I didn’t care what neighbours thought as I had done my bit, and was rarely thanked. The catalyst for this action was when I was once accused of stealing the legs from a coffee table delivery. The driver had only left one parcel with me, (the table top it transpires) and had driven off before realising it was a 2 part parcel. Neighbour collected parcel 1, then arrived at my door in an angry mood and accused me of stealing the table legs (obvs parcel 2). The driver returned about 30 mins later with parcel 2, and I refused to take it but directed him next door, and watched as they took parcel 2 in. They never said a word or apologised. It was then I made the sign and put it on my door where it still is.

MawtheMerrier Wed 05-Oct-22 15:18:14

I understand OP has left the building - having revived the “non-issue” of a year ago.

notgran Wed 05-Oct-22 15:47:16

MawtheMerrier

I understand OP has left the building - having revived the “non-issue” of a year ago.

? What do you mean please?

MawtheMerrier Wed 05-Oct-22 17:00:26

This was the older thread, almost exactly a year ago!
A prominent contributor is also no longer in the building
www.gransnet.com/forums/aibu/1301571-Taking-in-parcels-for-neighbours?msgid=28954359

biglouis Tue 11-Oct-22 00:25:47

why on earth would you say you had no intention of asking the NDN for the package. She had made no attempt to bring it around or let me know it was there

Oh do TRY reading a my post a little more carefully.

I knew because of past performance this woman was a thief and the package contained a glitter bomb. If it had been an expensive piece of jewellery I would have sent round my nephew and his scary big mate to get it. I knew there was a 99% chance of her keeping and opening it rather than bringing it around. It was a wonderful opportunity to teach her a lesson about stealing mail. I bet she is still findng bits of red glitter in her house.