Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder why famous people feel they have to over share personal stuff

(164 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 08-Jan-23 14:15:49

No not another one about Harry!

I was just reading an article about Katherine Ryan stand up comic, bantering with Jonathan Ross, never a good idea given his track record. I stopped watching him ages ago I really don't like him. Anyway back to Katherine Ryan, admittedly I've only ever seen her on WDYTYA so I can't say whether she's funny or not It was reported among other things , she said this "her husband would sometimes abandon her to play golf as she has only 3 holes as opposed to 18" If a man said that I'd regard him as a sexist pig, so is it any better to hear that from a woman. Personally I don't think so, nor do I find such crassness remotely funny, just poor taste.

I'd be interested to know what others think.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jan-23 12:41:00

It can be very funny, though.

youtu.be/4_iLElHqv-w

Tanjamaltija Wed 18-Jan-23 12:33:41

Being vulgar is not good - especially when you use an old, sexist joke.

Bridie22 Mon 16-Jan-23 18:37:54

Nighty Night brilliant series 🤣

FannyCornforth Mon 16-Jan-23 17:24:00

Lucca grin
I often use the ‘two big lads and a wheel barrow’ comment in various situations about myself!

Oreo Mon 16-Jan-23 17:11:29

To answer the OP, it’s cos they have an over inflated sense of their own worth and think the world is interested in their every move.🙄

PinkCosmos Mon 16-Jan-23 17:00:27

Katherine Ryan was interviewed by Louis Theroux a while ago. I saw half of it and was really put off by some of her TMI comments.

I'm not keen on Sarah Millican as I find her a bit too crude sometimes. I am not a prude.

I do like some of the women who turn up on QI regularly (as well as Sandy Toksvig), though I haven't seen them doing stand up. For example, Aisling Bea. Her tv series (This way up) was very good.

Also Susan Calman, Sharon Horgan, the cast of Motherland who are also comedians in their own right

Julia Davies (Nighty Night TV Series) is strangely funny.

I was watching a tribute to Keeping up Appearances the other day. Patricia Routledge was a superb comedian. I appreciate it was all scripted but she certainly made the show - and reminded me of my MIL smile

MayBee70 Mon 16-Jan-23 15:21:12

I was thinking about comedy last night because, whilst channel hopping I came upon George and Mildred. It was so dated and puerile; admittedly I never did find it funny. But then a programme about Spike Milligan came on and his humour imo hasn’t dated at all. Then again I came upon a Benny Hill show, again whilst channel hopping, and did find myself laughing at some of it because it was pure slapstick.

Lucca Mon 16-Jan-23 14:42:59

JaneJudge

Victoria Wood's sketch about Barry and Freda has to be one the most entertaining pieces ever written. There will never be another sad

The health spa sketch with Julie walters in that baggy leotard….

The other one where she says you’re meant to clench your buttocks and Victoria says “ it would take two strong lads and a wheelbarrow to clench hers !

Callistemon21 Sun 15-Jan-23 20:02:33

JaneJudge

and Caroline Aherne was a treasure too

“So Debbie, what first attracted you to the millionaire, Paul Daniels?”
Classic.

We met Paul Daniels and Debbie in a hotel once, a lovely couple. grin

Callistemon21 Sun 15-Jan-23 20:00:48

I introdcued DD to Barry and Freda recently, we had a good laugh together!! Still funny after all these years.

Dickens Sun 15-Jan-23 17:50:58

JaneJudge

Victoria Wood's sketch about Barry and Freda has to be one the most entertaining pieces ever written. There will never be another sad

Oh absolutely - it's a classic, I just chortled the whole way through it the first time I heard it. It's a masterpiece!

I am so sorry that we lost her so early. sad

JaneJudge Sun 15-Jan-23 16:51:11

and Caroline Aherne was a treasure too

JaneJudge Sun 15-Jan-23 16:50:48

Dickens Sun 15-Jan-23 16:47:42

For me, the late Victoria Wood was one of the best. Very witty and entertaining and came across as having a likeable personality.

Humour is very subjective though isn't it? I can never laugh at Sarah Millican, though I'm not going to criticise her because it's purely personal, and a lot of people like her.

I don't like jokes that rely too heavily on vulgarity, swear words, or 'intimate' details about the supposed activities of the comedian - it's just a matter of taste of course, other people like, or don't mind, such routines.

sodapop Sun 15-Jan-23 15:58:38

I read that the retired Pope who recently died was a big fan of Hyacinth Bucket and would answer the phone with " the Vatican residence "

I enjoyed Ronnie Barker's humour as well Goldenage such a talented man

JaneJudge Sun 15-Jan-23 15:54:56

That's what Tom Allen's act is like though HPQ grin

HousePlantQueen Sun 15-Jan-23 15:45:35

Last night, we watched the last 10 minutes of John Bishop show, waiting for the news. I quite like John Bishop but he had 3 guests on ; Sue Perkins, Mo Gilligan, and Tom Allen. It was puerile. Mo Gilligan said very little, but Tom Allen and Sue Perkins were competing for who could be the most childish and vulgar edgy. Perkins referred to the 'wanking walrus' at least 5 times, Allen made crude jokes about skulking in bushes as a gay man, it was all 'oh, look at me, I am on TV and using dirty words'. I felt as I did when my children used to try to shock by using dirty words; it is not clever, and nobody wants to hear it.

JaneJudge Sun 15-Jan-23 14:05:11

FannyCornforth

Re Jo Brand. My friend and I went to see her around 1992. (Over 3O years ago! shock)
She was absolutely dreadful.
We walked out after 30 minutes and went to Pizza Hut.
I’m sure that she would have approved!

I loved her series Getting On.
That was brilliant

have you seen damned? that is very good too smile

Washerwoman Sat 14-Jan-23 19:46:43

Another one here who doesn't find Katherine Ryan remotely funny .She even irritated me on the genealogy programme Who Do You Think You Are.Very me,me me.
And whilst I didnt mjnd Jo Brand and enjoyed her autobiography years ago I thought her acid throwing comment was appalling and now I can't watch her.

Witzend Wed 11-Jan-23 10:18:28

Craving attention/publicity would be my guess. Any sort of attention/publicity being better than none.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:35:19

Answer!!! to make money or gain publicity?

Callistemon21 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:26:54

Overuse of quick-witted in above post 😂

Callistemon21 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:25:38

FannyCornforth

HIGNY is scripted and heavily edited though.
There are several comedians including my old teacher Frank Skinner who won’t take part in those sort of shows because of it.
But I’m sure Jo is much better now, it was 30 years ago; but all she banged on about was being fat and ugly.
It was so demeaning

HIGNY is scripted and heavily edited though

Yes, it's obvious.

I admire quick-witted comedians who are always ready with a funny riposte or who can interact with an audience.
However, many comedians may seem funny and quick-witted but someone else may have written the scripts for them - they just deliver them.
One of the funniest men I knew, very quick-witted, wrote scripts for other well-known comedians.

FannyCornforth Tue 10-Jan-23 14:57:49

HIGNY is scripted and heavily edited though.
There are several comedians including my old teacher Frank Skinner who won’t take part in those sort of shows because of it.
But I’m sure Jo is much better now, it was 30 years ago; but all she banged on about was being fat and ugly.
It was so demeaning

Wyllow3 Tue 10-Jan-23 14:47:21

Oh, I love Jo Brand! Tells it like it is, down to earth, and very positive about women and also very bright, in terms of being able to chair/take part in quick witted shows like Have I got News for You.