Gransnet forums

AIBU

Washing dishes

(59 Posts)
Norah Fri 03-Feb-23 23:28:42

YABU. His task, his timing.

Why does it matter?

sukie Fri 03-Feb-23 23:22:39

I don't think you're being unreasonable Sheian62, it would bother me too but there are really only 3 things can do about it. 1) Wash the dishes yourself 2) Nag him about it which will likely make you both miserable 3) Leave him to it and try hard not to let it ruin your evening. On the bright side, he's willing and able to wash the dishes =)

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Feb-23 23:19:31

I think yes, you are being unreasonable.
Why can't you just look away?
He's doing it happily, why are you so bothered - at least he's not leaving it till the morning grin

Sheian62 Fri 03-Feb-23 23:04:30

CrazyH we used to have a dishwasher which was hardly ever used. Hubby hates them and says they are a waste of time and water, so we got extra cupboard space with new kitchen instead. He is happy to wash up but it annoys me that it’s 4 hours after we eat. I don’t want to nag him, but it’s really getting on my nerves.

greenmossgiel Fri 03-Feb-23 23:01:59

During the evening leave any used cups, glasses etc on the worktops, ignore whatever mess there is, to bed and let him get on with it.

Hithere Fri 03-Feb-23 23:00:38

Yabu

He does the dishes, just not to your schedule preference

Mitzigem Fri 03-Feb-23 22:59:00

No , you’re not being unreasonable, I would hate it too . It would drive me nuts .

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 22:55:34

I’m rather surprised you didn’t have a dishwasher installed in your new kitchen. Holds the marriage together ..

Sheian62 Fri 03-Feb-23 22:52:07

We are both retired. My husband has no interest in cooking and therefore I plan and cook all our meals. We eat anywhere between 6-7 in the evening. Husband does the dishes following. Infuriatingly he chooses to leave this chore until bedtime, around 11 o’clock. I hate to see the kitchen with unwashed dishes and untidy and don’t think he is being fair. It’s making me feel angry. AIBU. We had an expensive kitchen installed last year and I am upset that he leaves it so long.