Gransnet forums

AIBU

Come on!

(128 Posts)
Quokka Tue 07-Feb-23 14:40:50

AIBU to want my peers, husband, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, certain friends to get to grips with new(ish) technology?

I’m getting fed up of them not being able to; return an Amazon parcel, set up and use WhatsApp, create a new email address, use no-coin parking meters, and so on. Some of these people are a decade younger. So I have to show them how to do it, and they never retain it for next time.

No one taught me I had to figure it out by trial and error, mainly error I admit. But I’m expected to sort these out for them, again and again.

And they insist it’s not them - it’s the mobile/tablet/system. Grrr….

You might say ‘let them get on with it, that’s the only way they’ll learn’ but honestly it’s as if their brain is shuttered.
Can’t do! Won’t do!

Riverwalk Tue 07-Feb-23 17:08:29

PinkCosmos

I have just been given a cheque from someone who doesn't do internet banking. I now have to trail into town to deposit the cheque. Not that easy when I work full time and the bank is shut at the weekend.

I am also DH's secretary!! It's funny how he finds it easy to order things for himself online but he can never work out how to return them without my 'help i.e. doing it for him!

If you have a banking App on your phone you can pay a cheque in using the App. Can probably be done on a tablet but I don't have one so can't confirm that.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 07-Feb-23 18:45:56

I had to listen to an acquaintance tell us about how he won’t use social media as the Russians are listening, won’t use internet banking as they’ll steal his money, doesn’t want a computer as it’ll waste his time, and so on. And then he moaned about not being able to do anything easily anymore,
Sometimes you’ve just got to keep up with progress else you get left behind.

On banking apps - I’m not sure they do apps for tablets, just websites.

Casdon Tue 07-Feb-23 18:49:04

I’ve got my banking app on my iPad. I would think you can do the same on an android tablet.

Witzend Tue 07-Feb-23 18:56:30

PinkCosmos

I have just been given a cheque from someone who doesn't do internet banking. I now have to trail into town to deposit the cheque. Not that easy when I work full time and the bank is shut at the weekend.

I am also DH's secretary!! It's funny how he finds it easy to order things for himself online but he can never work out how to return them without my 'help i.e. doing it for him!

If you’ve got a smartphone and do online banking, can’t you take a pic of it and pay it in online? I’ve never done this - haven’t needed to - but dh certainly has.

Romola Tue 07-Feb-23 18:57:52

I'm a widow of 77 and today I successfully installed the new router for my broadband, having changed the supplier. DH had an expensive business contract but I need to watch the ££ now.
DD sent a congratulatory text but DS merely asked if I now have 5g.
How should I know?

seadragon Tue 07-Feb-23 19:04:45

PinkCosmos

I am confused, PinkCosmos as a friend who is a car mechanic says that he prefers payment by cheque to cash as he can scan a cheque into his bank account by using his phone whereas he has to traipse into town to pay cash in. I am one of the anti technology luddites with so many scammers and cloned sites on the internet. We have very little in savings and I do not wish to lose it to fraudsters. I prefer just to do without things than bother others to do them for me which comes easily to us as we have always been very content with a very simple life and few possessions

Calendargirl Tue 07-Feb-23 19:06:50

PinkCosmos

Can you not scan your cheque, and pay it in via your banking app?

I do this on my I pad.

Wyllow3 Tue 07-Feb-23 19:09:50

I'm pretty techie but am reaching some limits - my choice is I'm going to find someone who can come round and spend some time.

that may be an option for those who can't do it instead of constantly asking for help. There are also course available -would hat help? its so empowering.

Sometimes its pride comes into it - fear, reluctance to own up. Definitely the case with my ex (no, that wasn't the reason) but I realised my doing nearly everything was blocking him having to get onto learning.

The cheque thing is impossible. Bank is in town centre, However you can bank cheques at Post offices, not sure of procedure.

Cabbie21 Tue 07-Feb-23 19:28:25

DH was into technology long before it became essential, so is a bit of a nerd. This means there are techie things I know nothing about, as he insists on doing it, eg deciding which broadband to have, upgrading the router, resetting the router, transferring data to my new laptop etc.
I am pretty capable on a laptop and i- pad, but don't really like using my phone for banking or anything too detailed, as I will probably get the numbers wrong( fat finger or poor eyesight).My grandchildren are happy to help if I need it, though will only tell me something once.

I do not understand people who refuse to have anything to do with the internet. It is an essential tool- you can’t be a JobSeeker without it!
But I do sympathise with parking-pay-by -phone issues.
I wonder what else we will need to learn before we get too old.

Margiknot Tue 07-Feb-23 19:36:14

I admit to becoming more and more of a technophobe in the last few years- especially since the pandemic caused a leap in what now has to be done on line or by phone to a machine that cannot understand a female voice! I think I am learning at a slower rate than the rate of change! Our local M+S cafe has newly installed ordering machines - the only way to order. It’s ok when you get used to it ( instructions would improve things for novices-why are there so rarely instructions?) but I saw many older folk give up and go home!

biglouis Tue 07-Feb-23 23:38:42

Whenever I mention I sell online I get people asking if I can "teach" them to sell on Ebay, etc. Even once had a taxi driver ask if he and his wife could come around and learn. I tell them well I havnt yet designed a tutorial but if I ever do it will be about £200 a session. That usually ends the conversation pretty quickly.

Deedaa Tue 07-Feb-23 23:51:25

I must admit I would be lost without on line banking now. I can keep a constant check on my account and almost everybody is happy with a bank transfer, even the chap who comes to cut my hair when I've forgotten to get any cash out. The last cheque I received was £10 in a raffle and I never got round to paying it in before it expired. I do only use my laptop for banking, I don't have anything on my phone because there's always the risk of losing it.

Using a phone to pay for parking is something I avoid at all costs, even DD has problems with them and she's far more efficient than me.

Zoejory Tue 07-Feb-23 23:53:28

I have a friend like this. She's 61. She drives me demented. She is constantly asking how I know the bank website is real and not a scam. I've told her so many times. She refuses to shop online. She has no car at present nor a bike. Lives in a semi rural area I've told her to order from Tesco or wherever. No. So she staggers around and walks about 3 miles with her carrier bags.

Before Christmas I sent her the John Lewis website link. She informed me it was very unprofessional and a scam. What can you say? Same with Amazon. She accuses me of being gullible. I've been using Amazon for about 15 years. It is infuriating. I really start to feel almost violent.

So I recently told her that I would be unable to discuss anything about doing anything online as it causes me great trauma!

Sago Wed 08-Feb-23 00:11:26

I am lucky as I am “techy”, I have shown many friends how to use phones, tablets etc and I am happy to do so.
My big grrrrrrrrr is my next door neighbour who doesn’t even try to understand or work anything out, I’ve sorted her phones, smart meter, television and sky, she went without TV for 10 days when we were away, she didn’t even try to sort it out!

lixy Wed 08-Feb-23 01:30:15

I try really hard to use the tech - am OK with most things but sometimes I need help - always grateful for OH, AC who can sort me out. DS says I can't break their house as I don't have a smart phone!

The cheque thing is impossible. Bank is in town centre, However you can bank cheques at Post offices, not sure of procedure.
PO has envelopes for the different banks. You put cheque and paying in slip inside the envelope. Write account details on the outside and give it in over the counter. Make sure you have the right envelope for your bank. Not sure what happens if you don't have a paying in slip though.

Doodledog Wed 08-Feb-23 01:40:55

I have no problem helping people who can’t do things, but I have no patience with learned helplessness. There is no reason why someone of 61 can’t find her way round the internet, and no reason why anyone should expect other people to do things they refuse to do themselves (as opposed to being unable to do them).

My friend’s husband used to say that only idiots would bank online, or do internet shopping. Then she found something he really wanted on eBay and he couldn’t get elsewhere. He expected her to order it for him! She refused, so he did it himself and has never looked back. Sometimes it’s the only way.

DiamondLily Wed 08-Feb-23 04:50:14

Riverwalk

PinkCosmos

If you have a banking App on your phone you can pay a cheque in using the App. Can probably be done on a tablet but I don't have one so can't confirm that.

You can certainly do it on an IPad. I think all this online stuff is great, saves some much time over finding a bank, going to shops, queuing up etc.

If I can't work out how to do something, I Google it. The answer us always on there somewhere.👍

DH, on the other hand, waits until I've found out something, acts daft, and then I end up teaching him or doing it myself lol 🙄

ParlorGames Wed 08-Feb-23 06:43:06

Isn't technology just the same as everything else in life?? If you have an aptitude for it and are interested in it then it 'comes' easily.
I generally, find, if I don't do a 'tech' task very often I quite soon become unfamiliar with doing it. I am not thick and I am not lazy either. I keep a small notebook with prompts to help me 'next time'.
Maybe the OP could suggest doing the same to the multitude of people that she has to rescue time after time?

Ashcombe Wed 08-Feb-23 07:02:19

Regarding paying in cheques at a Post Office, I discovered a few years ago that cheques for all banks would be accepted at their branches except for those for a Nationwide account, which is where I bank. Fortunately, we still have a Nationwide branch in the centre of Torquay.

harrigran Wed 08-Feb-23 08:29:51

There are some things I can manage but I would never do anything financial on a mobile phone.

Franbern Wed 08-Feb-23 09:18:27

I do really love the banking system on line. It not only gives me easy and immediate access to my account, but is sosecure.

I do wonder how people think that banks transfer money between its branches. Do they imagine that vans and people take cash or is it done by computer?

Each morning, whilst I am having my brekkie, I spend a whole two minutes checking both my current account and my credit card account. With this, if anything was wrong with either of them, I would know about it within 24 hours at the most. Payments of all bills is immediate.

Cheques were very much subject to fraud.

Quokka Wed 08-Feb-23 09:32:57

We’re all on this forum so must have at least a basic level of competence.

I didn’t mention banking in my OP but I can’t imagine controlling my finances without doing it online. I too check daily.

With a nod to those who feel insecure try this. I have two current accounts, one of which I use for all online transactions. I just keep a minimum amount in this so if anything did go amiss then they only ‘get’ my £82.74! If it’s running low I do a bank transfer from my other account.

The one time there was a dodgy transaction my bank spotted it and stopped it. Bit of a nuisance as I had to have a new bank card but that arrived promptly.

I couldn’t have managed during lockdown without online grocery deliveries.

nanna8 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:39:35

A club I am in will no longer accept cheques or cash so either members learn to pay online or inconvenience a friend to pay and arrange to repay them. A steep learning curve for some but now they all pay electronically.

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:46:46

Online banking is wonderful but I won't let it go near my mobile.

henetha Wed 08-Feb-23 09:55:01

I can see both points of view really. I sympathise with the elderly who don't want to wrestle with this new technology. (not so very new now, is it). But they really are missing out by refusing to get to grips with it. I'm lucky that my sons are both quite good techies and they have made sure that I'm up to date. Once you have got the hang of it you then realise how wonderful, and how very useful, it really is.
So yes, come on!