Gransnet forums

AIBU

Come on!

(128 Posts)
Quokka Tue 07-Feb-23 14:40:50

AIBU to want my peers, husband, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, certain friends to get to grips with new(ish) technology?

I’m getting fed up of them not being able to; return an Amazon parcel, set up and use WhatsApp, create a new email address, use no-coin parking meters, and so on. Some of these people are a decade younger. So I have to show them how to do it, and they never retain it for next time.

No one taught me I had to figure it out by trial and error, mainly error I admit. But I’m expected to sort these out for them, again and again.

And they insist it’s not them - it’s the mobile/tablet/system. Grrr….

You might say ‘let them get on with it, that’s the only way they’ll learn’ but honestly it’s as if their brain is shuttered.
Can’t do! Won’t do!

Quokka Sat 11-Feb-23 13:20:21

Just come down with Covid. Again! Had planned to do shop this weekend. Luckily managed to get a deliver slot from local Sainsbury’s for tomorrow 1-2.00pm.

This is when technology comes to the rescue 👍🏽

SueDonim Sat 11-Feb-23 13:52:16

I’ve enjoyed the new world (to me!) of all this tech ever since the internet became widely available in the 90’s. Some things are harder to learn and/or understand than others but the basics I’d have thought were easy enough for most people to grasp.

My Dh and I have just started a programme of training to improve our physical abilities (curse you, lock down!). That has involved using an app and timings. We started yesterday and I managed to download the app and use the relevant parts for our programme, plus learnt how to use the timer on my phone. I felt rather pleased with myself for doing this and it gave my brain a workout, too. smile

When my sister was suddenly widowed, some years ago, she didn’t even know how to use a ‘hole in the wall’ bank machine and her life was very difficult because she had let her husband do everything for her. Her poor children had to go about teaching her, at a time when they had jobs and young families and all the rest of it.