Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unbelievable Childhood Memories you believed were true 😆

(106 Posts)
Poppyjo Wed 22-Feb-23 21:57:31

As a young child I was eating an apple, which included the pips.

Mum looked at me and told me not to eat the pips as an apple tree would grow outside the top of my head!

I was fascinated and every morning
I would look in the mirror to see if I could see any shoots or leaves coming through my head. I truly believed I saw two leaves! 😂

I look back now and think how could I have ever believed it?

My mum did own up in the end. In case you wondered I never did grow that tree 🌲

What tall stories did you hear and believe as a child?

NannyB2604 Sun 26-Mar-23 09:33:25

When I was a kid, in the 1960s, someone told me that if you saved every letter of the alphabet on Smartie lids you could send away for a puppy! I believed them and was so disappointed when I discovered it wasn't true

Ali08 Tue 14-Mar-23 04:12:39

I had lots of aunts and uncles and cousins while I was growing up.
In reality, I had one uncle on my dad's side, and 4 aunties on my mums side, the rest were all friends of either or both of my parents!!
I'm in my 50s and still call one my aunty, which amuses her no end!

Daddima Sat 04-Mar-23 08:41:08

biglouis

When my sister was born I (age 7) was very jealous and made it quite clear that I did not want a sister. My parents told me that "naughty! children like me could be sent to a home because their parents did not want them any more. One day my mother posted a card in the postbox and told me she was sending for the "man with the van" to take me away that week. On the saturday they played out the pretence that I was going to be collected and taken off to a home that day. I was utterly convinced and spent the day sobbing and in terror.

It was only later when I found one of the cards with the very distinctive logo that I realised it was for the football pools. If this kind of emotional abuse happened to a child today social workers would (rightly) become involved. I just had to tough it out and get on with the fact that I was the "black sheep" of the family and responsible for ALL the domestic ills which beset us.

Later on my parents throught I was cold and heartless because I was semi estranged from them much of the time.

That is a special kind of sadism.

Aldom Sat 04-Mar-23 08:01:26

biglouis flowers what a dreadful thing for parents to do to you. So sorry.

suninthewest Sat 04-Mar-23 07:56:42

I notice there is more than one on here about chewing gum. My dad told me it was made from horses hooves

biglouis Sat 04-Mar-23 01:26:48

When my sister was born I (age 7) was very jealous and made it quite clear that I did not want a sister. My parents told me that "naughty! children like me could be sent to a home because their parents did not want them any more. One day my mother posted a card in the postbox and told me she was sending for the "man with the van" to take me away that week. On the saturday they played out the pretence that I was going to be collected and taken off to a home that day. I was utterly convinced and spent the day sobbing and in terror.

It was only later when I found one of the cards with the very distinctive logo that I realised it was for the football pools. If this kind of emotional abuse happened to a child today social workers would (rightly) become involved. I just had to tough it out and get on with the fact that I was the "black sheep" of the family and responsible for ALL the domestic ills which beset us.

Later on my parents throught I was cold and heartless because I was semi estranged from them much of the time.

Ali08 Tue 28-Feb-23 14:16:08

ExperiencedNotOld,

You've seen god?

Ali08 Tue 28-Feb-23 14:11:58

RakshaMK

My Dad told me the cows, sheep and horses in sloping fields were specifically bred with two legs longer so they didn't fall over

I had such a great image pop up of that, that I literally burst out laughing!
Thank you, that was fabulous.

biglouis Tue 28-Feb-23 10:39:50

I was also warned about chewing gum, that it would wind around my heart and stop it beating.

My mother told me it was "dangerous" to wash my hair when I had my period.

She also told me that if I touched myself "down there" I would go mad!

Uptodate Tue 28-Feb-23 07:39:42

My dad told me if you picked a guinea pig up by its tail it's eyes would fall out. My friend had them and a couple of times I thought about it but couldn't just in case. Another one was when he picked up the eggs and put them to his ear. He'd then write my name on the ones he said were double yolkers. When I asked him how he knew he said he could hear them talking to each other..... happy days

Teaandcakes Mon 27-Feb-23 21:26:29

Mummies have eyes in the back of their head.
I remember being fascinated with this and even combing through my mum's hair looking.
Convinced!

grandmac Mon 27-Feb-23 17:30:44

Amongst most of the ones already mentioned my Dad said never let a camel spit in your eye as you’ll go blind! As where we lived camels were not much in evidence outside of zoos I don’t know where he thought we might get within spitting distance of one!! But when I went to Egypt recently I was very careful around camels!

Treetops05 Sun 26-Feb-23 23:55:50

My Gran was born and bred in Gloucestershire, but was tiny, she was under 5 ft tall and had size 4 feet, along with being very petite in size. When i was at primary school I needed an interesting fact for a lesson and asked her. She told me she was half Chinese! I believed her and at school drew a picture of her in a Chinese hat...I was too young to know this was the effect of Thyroid issues.

Blackcat3 Sun 26-Feb-23 20:49:17

My mother told me she found me in a dustbin when I asked where I came from!

Tamayra Sun 26-Feb-23 20:38:18

If I was clearing my throat my Mum would say
“Cough up it might be a gold watch”

MarianneF Sun 26-Feb-23 20:34:54

My dad was always going to see a man about a dog….He never did bring one home with him.

Yammy Sun 26-Feb-23 20:32:00

My DH thought there was an animal called an Elephano. When he asked a question MIL did not know the answer to she said"Hell if I know", we all speak quickly and he thought it was an animal's name.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 26-Feb-23 20:24:15

At the age of 5 I truly believed God and Father Christmas were the same person - but that was cooked up by my young self. They both looked the same after all!
One perpetuated with our children was that you could only go to a fair if you lived in that town. Saved monies we didn’t have,

Sandynan Sun 26-Feb-23 18:19:10

My Dad was a big storyteller, we lived on one side of the river Humber, he told me the other side was France, black plastic bags in trees were witches cloaks that had got caught and we had to make holes in our egg shells after we’d eaten a dippy egg or witches would sail to sea in them and sink the boats ( we lived in a fishing port) he had lots more like this!!

Sandynan Sun 26-Feb-23 18:14:41

That’s not far from the truth as carrots contain Vit A which is good for our eyes.

Silverlady333 Sun 26-Feb-23 16:11:36

When my sons were little the tooth fairy used to leave a 20p under the pillow only one time she forgot! I was in the loo when I heard my son wail that the tooth fairy had not come. He heard me saying 'Oh dam I forgot' out loud!
My older brother told me at an early age their was no 'Santa'. In order to preserve the magic for a bit longer for my son's when they asked if he was real I told them he was real as long as they believed in him. It took a couple more years until they twigged on and their mates told them it wasn't true. sad

annietelephant Sun 26-Feb-23 15:38:08

My DH told our daughters that when they heard the Ice Cream chimes it was the Ice Cream man warning everyone that he had run out of Ice Cream. 🍦 x

Aldom Sun 26-Feb-23 14:54:32

Daddima

My father told us ( well, actually told my mother so we would overhear) that, as he was cracking an egg into the frying pan, a chicken flew out, straight through the kitchen window!
My brother and I stood by the cooker every time eggs were being cooked for months!

Daddima your story reminded me of Christmas 1966. I was making my Christmas cake and cracked open the first egg. When nothing came out of the shell I looked and there was a tiny dead chick inside. I still remember how sad it made me feel.

w1u7 Sun 26-Feb-23 14:44:57

My mother told me she had got me from Woolworths and if I was naughty she would take me back and buy another child !! I remember going into the store and looking around for a section containing children.

Summerfly Sun 26-Feb-23 14:37:02

What a lovely story Twinkletwinkle.