Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we becoming too sensitive?

(56 Posts)
Sago Thu 23-Feb-23 18:38:47

I have just received my first email from a supermarket asking if I want to unsubscribe from Mothers Day emails.
There was no shortage of Valentines emails but for some reason companies don’t seem to worry about this being a trigger.
I appreciate the sadness some people may feel on the loss of a parent but do we really need to be warned?

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Feb-23 11:32:15

I can easily get very sad on Mother’s Day.
I definitely avoid going out at all then.

I’m not a mother and I have been without my own for 26 years.

When I was a TA I prided myself on making sure all of the kids made something of really good quality to take home for their mums (it was a very deprived area).

To be honest, I find the ‘opt out’ emails even more intrusive than the actual marketing.

I know that I’m sensitive (I’m actually something called a Highly Sensitive Person).
I don’t think that sensitive is an inherently bad thing.

In fact, when people accuse others of being ‘too sensitive’, it’s usually because they themselves have done something rude and are too pig headed to apologise

Grantanow Sun 26-Feb-23 11:37:01

Mother's day, Father's day, Valentines, etc. are all marketing cons to extract money from the consumer. They would probably invent Cousin's day if they thought it would pay off.

Amalegra Sun 26-Feb-23 11:39:07

The whole of society is being encouraged to be what are these days termed ‘snowflakes’ IMHO. Opt out emails for Valentine’s Day, Mothers Day et al. Trigger warning on TV programmes/books etc. And for the most inoffensive things too-we can’t even laugh now for fear of offending someone! As for Mothers Day-no, it doesn’t upset me to see it all around. It’s a lovely tradition, one of the few we have left although I don’t know how long the Thought Police are going to tolerate this definition of a woman. I lost my beloved Mum four years ago so the day will never be the same for me. My children are lovely and always make it special, but with Mum gone, it is empty somehow. But death is part of life and we have to carry on. Perhaps our snowflake society should realise that life is terribly tough sometimes.

Katek Sun 26-Feb-23 11:42:39

Hear, hear Amalegra

cc Sun 26-Feb-23 11:56:54

From my point of view it just means that I can cut down on advertising emails, whilst still staying on lists for products that might be interesting.
I find the Black Friday ones the most irritating as they go on for so long and offer few genuinely low prices.

Nannan2 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:57:54

I had loads offering to opt out of valentines as wellsmile

Susieq62 Sun 26-Feb-23 12:01:29

My mum died 8 years ago. I miss her liveliness and fortitude plus her zest for life! I appreciate being able to opt out of repeated emails. I think it shows sensitivity by the companies concerned , plus compassion.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 26-Feb-23 13:04:41

I never looked at it as not to upset people who’ve lost their Mum. I just click the box so I’m not plagued with hundreds of marketing emails.

4allweknow Sun 26-Feb-23 13:15:28

Why are the emails sent in the first place? Basically fed from some internet shopping/browsing. If it's a regularly visited site it could be trying to be sensitive, wonder if Father's Day will be treated the same. I have had loss but this wouldn't upset me, shops are full of special occasion tat, can't avoid unless you never venture out.

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Feb-23 13:18:41

I’m on literally hundreds of mailing lists. It depends upon how much internet shopping you do

JaneJudge Sun 26-Feb-23 13:22:49

FannyCornforth

When I was a TA I prided myself on making sure all of the kids made something of really good quality to take home for their mums (it was a very deprived area).

To be honest, I find the ‘opt out’ emails even more intrusive than the actual marketing.

I know that I’m sensitive (I’m actually something called a Highly Sensitive Person).

In fact, when people accuse others of being ‘too sensitive’, it’s usually because they themselves have done something rude and are too pig headed to apologise

I agree Fanny.

choughdancer Sun 26-Feb-23 14:00:53

Lilyflower

"'Tis sweet and commendable in your nature, Hamlet,
To give these mourning duties to your father;
But you must know, your father lost a father;
That father lost, lost his, and the survivor bound
In filial obligation for some term
To do obsequious sorrow. But to persever
In obstinate condolement is a course
Of impious stubbornness. 'Tis unmanly grief;
It shows a will most incorrect to heaven,
A heart unfortified, a mind impatient,
An understanding simple and unschool'd;
For what we know must be, and is as common
As any the most vulgar thing to sense,
Why should we in our peevish opposition
Take it to heart? Fie! 'tis a fault to heaven,
A fault against the dead, a fault to nature,
To reason most absurd, whose common theme
Is death of fathers, and who still hath cried,
From the first corse till he that died to-day,
'This must be so.' "

Seems somewhat relevant.

Not sure we can rely on Claudius to offer balanced advice; after all, he is trying to cover up fratricide!

nipsmum Sun 26-Feb-23 15:19:09

My mum passed away 6 months after her 100 th birthday. Getting an advert for mother's Day just makes me thankful I had a mum for so long. I am a mother and Grandmother but I don't get upset if they don't remember. I know I am loved and appreciated every day, one day a year makes no difference.

Quokka Sun 26-Feb-23 15:52:49

Aldom

Since the tragic, untimely death of my adult son I appreciate Waitrose offering me the choice to unsubscribe from Mothering Sunday promotions.

Agree completely. Until you’ve experienced something so dreadful people may well think it’s just a PR stunt. That’s far from the truth.

My sincere condolences Aldom💔

Oreo Sun 26-Feb-23 16:27:26

Well said Amalegra 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

faye17 Sun 26-Feb-23 17:07:23

VioletSky

Being sensitive is not only positive but it is a strength.

It takes strength to make time, listen and understand and live your life in a way that isn't disregarding others.

How many people do we come across who just say what they like and don't seem to care what others feel about their words and people think that's strong... well it's not, it's basic and unintelligent.

What is strong is being able to live your life, say what you think and articulate yourself in a way that is sensitive and isn't offensive.

Simple example, how much easier is it to say "get over it" than it is to really understand what someone is going through and feel a little of what they feel.

Sensitive is emotional intelligence.

It's a good thing

Thankyou very much Violet Sky
I could not have put it better myself 💐

faye17 Sun 26-Feb-23 17:13:18

ADVERTISEMENT

Inbox
Forums AIBU
FirstPrev
NextLast2
Are we becoming too sensitive?41
Show OP
Today 11:32FannyCornforth

ADVERTISEMENT

Today 11:37Grantanow

Mother's day, Father's day, Valentines, etc. are all marketing cons to extract money from the consumer. They would probably invent Cousin's day if they thought it would pay off.

Today 11:39Amalegra

The whole of society is being encouraged to be what are these days termed ‘snowflakes’ IMHO. Opt out emails for Valentine’s Day, Mothers Day et al. Trigger warning on TV programmes/books etc. And for the most inoffensive things too-we can’t even laugh now for fear of offending someone! As for Mothers Day-no, it doesn’t upset me to see it all around. It’s a lovely tradition, one of the few we have left although I don’t know how long the Thought Police are going to tolerate this definition of a woman. I lost my beloved Mum four years ago so the day will never be the same for me. My children are lovely and always make it special, but with Mum gone, it is empty somehow. But death is part of life and we have to carry on. Perhaps our snowflake society should realise that life is terribly tough sometimes.

How true is this!

It is the natural cycle of life that our mothers go before us
Can we not honour and celebrate their place in our lives and hearts as long as WE live?

rowyn Sun 26-Feb-23 17:15:30

As some have said, it's partly a marketing ploy, but also a way of covering themselves from accusations of emotionally harmful messages.
There's a very strong trend whereby we are creeping into a climate of censorship, threatening the right we should have to freedom of speech, for which we have been known for quite some time.
I'm not supporting abuse, libel or slander, but I do most strongly and ardently[support our right to speak plainly and honestly,
Social media frightens me, with its ability to sweep along thousands of users into some kind of mass trolling, when often somebody's words or actions have been misinterpreted or misunderstood. I wish I could remember where I read very recently a statement by someone that many of these people don't have the mental acuity to discriminate between fallacy and honesty.

And if you've bothered to read this far, please consider refusing to buy books published by Penguin and Puffin.
I'm referring to their crass and very unintelligent decision to edit some of Roald Dahl's books , with the help of a 'sensitivity' consultant because of readers who may find him "offensive when it comes to race, gender, weight, and mental health."

annodomini Sun 26-Feb-23 18:04:56

When we were children 70-odd years ago - in Scotland - we had never heard of Mothers' Day so I'd never bothered much about it until my DC, born and brought up in England, started to bring me cards they made at school. As adults they have always marked the occasion with flowers and gifts. I'll be very happy for my DGD when she celebrates motherhood this year for the first time.

LJP1 Sun 26-Feb-23 18:41:19

I do feel we are rearing some snowflakes. Mental health seems to rear its ugly head so often and be an excuse for all sort of mild 'problems'. In similar circumstances I was told that I was overtired and to get a couple of early nights - and I learnt to cope.

VioletSky Sun 26-Feb-23 19:00:50

Nice.

Riggie Sun 26-Feb-23 19:47:08

I've been getting these for a while - mothers day, fathers day, valentines. I think its bonkers
But I've also seen threads on mumsnet for years where people are grumbling about the various days.

AnotherLiz Sun 26-Feb-23 21:32:38

I appreciate being give the opportunity of opting out of emails, eg Mother’s Day, Father's Day- I have lost both my parents and I don’t want to receive marketing emails for these events

Mamma66 Sun 26-Feb-23 21:56:57

I really struggled with my Mum’s death (May 2012) and found Mother’s Day really difficult for the first few years. I appreciated the ‘unsubscribe’ emails, but my older brother (who is perhaps a little more worldly wise) is convinced that it is merely a marketing ploy. I think he may well be right.

Grandma29 Sun 26-Feb-23 22:22:10

Yes I’m sure we can make out own minds up about what we see or do or hear for that matter.
The whole thing has got out of hand! Unfortunately that’s what life is and we don’t need to be protected from everything that’s bad!