Gransnet forums

AIBU

This is rubbish.Literally.

(107 Posts)
Washerwoman Mon 06-Mar-23 15:15:54

DH and I have just returned from a few days away in one of our beautiful National Parks.However I'm shocked and angry at just how much worse the litter on the verges of the Motorway and A roads were.We will be drowning in it before long.What is wrong with these individuals who think throwing even the smallest piece is acceptable.?Whatever your destination-work,home,service station etc there will be a bin.What is the solution ?Then on return today I drove to a nearby beauty spot to walk our dogs to find fly tipping dumped in the woods.I honestly think if it's possible to identify the culprits the penalty should be severe.I wish even the smallest amount of littering could mean some compulsory litter picking.And if from a car points on your licence and a big fine.But how to catch them at it ?
Sorry for the rant but it really spoilt my enjoyment of our break this time.

Washerwoman Sun 02-Apr-23 08:53:03

I can't agree that no-one cares.If you've watched Paul Whitehouse and Fergal Sharkey and their campaign to stop river pollution. Plus the army of volunteers cleaning and campaigning and shaming those responsible it gives me hope.Like litter I think do something. Even something little helps.

Norah Wed 05-Apr-23 17:03:42

I also don't agree that nobody cares.

We pick litter 4x daily, all round our grounds, walking our dogs.

pascal30 Thu 06-Apr-23 10:38:31

I remember driving in The Lakes behind someone who threw litter out of his car window and then drove into a packed pub carpark where lots of people were standing. I called very loudly out of my car window to him. 'Don't throw litter out of your car!!' I hope he was duly embarrassed. I think naming and shaming is one way to go..

baburao6560 Thu 13-Apr-23 09:23:20

DH and I drove from Portsmouth to the Oxford area, this weekend M27/M3/A34. It a route we drive regularly and we too were commenting on the huge quantities of litter on the verges, even when we drove down a narrow, quiet country lane, the hedges were full of litter.

FishandChips15 Thu 13-Apr-23 09:51:10

Maybe people on Community Service could litter pick on the quieter roads. Just a thought.

baburao6560 Fri 21-Apr-23 15:15:58

I also don't agree that nobody cares.
ppssppgold.one/
pikashow.fyi/