Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unimportant in the scheme of things but…..

(99 Posts)
Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 14:15:17

This seems a bit pathetic to be annoyed about, but I was really irritated by this. We had Sunday roast dinner out at the weekend. It was a ‘posh’ gastro type pub, which added to the cost. I ordered roast pork my husband ordered the beef. Only the beef roast came with a yorkie so I asked if I could have one with my meal and they said that’s ok. The pork was to come with sage and onion stuffing, apple sauce and crackling, none of which was included when it arrived. I asked the waitress for the three missing items, and she brought me a one inch square of cracking in a little dish, and a tablespoon of very nasty brown apple sauce, (over-spiced and burnt tasting) but said the stuffing was all gone. Fair enough, if it’s gone it’s gone. Had she told me when ordering I’d have chosen the beef. However, when we got the bill, my £19 roast had £1 added for the miserable little yorkie. I’d assumed they’d bunged the runt on as it was overcooked and half the size of my husband’s yorkie. Very stingy at that cost I think. However, by the same token, they didn’t make a reduction for the missing stuffing that was ordered. Of course, we paid and didn’t say anything as it seemed very churlish, but so does not including a yorkie with all roasts? Rant over 🙄.

Aldom Tue 04-Apr-23 14:21:42

Personally I would neither expect nor want a Yorkshire pudding with roast pork.
But I think you were over charged for the addition of a Yorkshire pudding when the kitchen had run out of stuffing and the apple sauce was unpleasant. Both essential to a roast pork meal. smile

Greenfinch Tue 04-Apr-23 14:22:22

Sorry you had such a bad experience but I can’t believe you didn’t complain.

Theexwife Tue 04-Apr-23 14:26:50

Take pleasure in that they have lost any future custom from you and of others that you tell.

I have had a few ‘posh roasts’, tasty but ridiculously overpriced, however, the best one I had was when I went to a Toby Carvery. I used to avoid those sorts of places thinking that they could not be any good as they were relatively cheap, but everything was freshly cooked and good quality. You could have as many yorkies as you wanted.

Redhead56 Tue 04-Apr-23 14:45:04

I would give that restaurant a miss they sound petty. We don't often go out on a Sunday but if we do I go for Toby Carvery. It's about seven miles from us we get taxis there and back. It's worth the expense we have tried the trendy restaurants near us but they don't impress one bit.

Poppyred Tue 04-Apr-23 14:45:42

I have no sympathy to be honest. You should have complained there and then not moan on a forum days later…….

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 14:52:46

I’m also thinking of what I could have served up for the price of both meals, £42 without drinks. Plus it would have been delicious with crispy roasties, not sad new spuds pretending to be roasties which were soggy. Plenty of leftovers for another day…… I’m not doing very well with my new aim at not moaning about things that do not matter am I? My husband doesn’t like me complaining when we’re out, though he often agrees with the sentiment, he just says we won’t go back. But they don’t learn then and do they care anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️. I may be suffering from old fa*t syndrome when I know I could do so much better. But all that washing up and cleaning if you make it at home 😳.

Salti Tue 04-Apr-23 14:56:59

Have you not given feedback on the restaurant's own website? I would have, with photos.

Galaxy Tue 04-Apr-23 15:00:25

Yes leave a review. I try to always make sure I leave a review when I have had a good experience too.

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 15:01:24

Poppyred

I have no sympathy to be honest. You should have complained there and then not moan on a forum days later…….

Fair comment, but the forum is AIBU and I imagine much of the content will be members having a moan. I will add that I’m an excellent ‘complainer’, always done politely but firmly and would have no truck in dealing with it there and then. But when you’ve been complaining for years (rightly so) it gets tiresome for the partner who is uncomfortable with it, so I’ve stopped, at his request.

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 15:03:46

Thank you for the Toby carvery recommendations Theexwife and Redhead56. We don’t have one in our town, but will definitely try the one nearest.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Apr-23 15:04:18

I wouldn’t expect Yorkshire pudding with roast pork, and I wouldn’t expect a mass produced pub roast to be anything like as good as home made. I would have chosen a different meal.

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 15:05:03

I didn’t think of doing a post visit review. Good suggestion thank you.

Caramme Tue 04-Apr-23 15:06:27

Good Lord! What are forums like this for if we can’t have the occasional moan. I would probably have doe the same as you Santa: And been mightily hacked off too.

Blossoming Tue 04-Apr-23 15:13:01

I wouldn’t expect Yorkshire pudding with roast pork, but I would expect crackling and apple sauce. If the menu stated stuffing they should have provided it, it’s very poor that they ran out of such a basic accompaniment. They should have said if anything wasn’t available when you ordered. Definitely leave an honest review.

granfromafar Tue 04-Apr-23 15:15:36

I would have felt the same as you, Sasta and hope that I would have complained at the time. Can also understand the 'not wanting to make a fuss' attitude. A lot of pubs and restaurants have increased their prices recently because of increased costs, and imo some are charging too much. However, they need to stay in business and so many have have closed down. Hope you get a reply from the management if you do post a comment online.

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 15:21:18

I get your point Germanshepherdsmum but this place has held quite a reputation for decades as being special, producing amazing food, (specifically local steaks) for special occasions etc over the years, and they’ve started offering Sunday lunch up until 7.30pm which is unusual as we don’t eat at lunchtime. Haven’t been for donkeys as £35 for a steak is a bit much for us. It wasn’t planned btw, on our way home from a day out. They only have about ten tables too, so not the size of a Harvester type place or similar (no disrespect to Harvester, love them). Actually as we left at 6pm the place filled up. Hope they made more stuffing!

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 15:23:44

Ps, my 8 year old granddaughter seriously asked me if I could make Yorkshire puddings with EVERY meal. I asked her ‘even spag bol?’ Yep, even that, she said. I make it with all ‘gravy’ dinners for her.

Caramme Tue 04-Apr-23 15:42:17

Caramme

Good Lord! What are forums like this for if we can’t have the occasional moan. I would probably have doe the same as you Santa: And been mightily hacked off too.

Sorry: Sasta.

Sasta Tue 04-Apr-23 15:43:14

Caramme

Thank you! I think the frustration of not feeling able to complain at the time is what’s most irritating. I’ll just have to get used to it; the request to stop complaining was meant seriously so need to take heed.

Namsnanny Tue 04-Apr-23 16:03:05

Sasta

Ps, my 8 year old granddaughter seriously asked me if I could make Yorkshire puddings with EVERY meal. I asked her ‘even spag bol?’ Yep, even that, she said. I make it with all ‘gravy’ dinners for her.

My Dad enjoyed yorkshire puds with every type of roast. So Mum cooked what he liked.
I've followed suit and my husband fell in with our 'tradition' as well.

Namsnanny Tue 04-Apr-23 16:09:14

Also, with regards to complaining, I've gone back a few days later and explained what I thought was wrong with the meal/service etc.

Once I was sent away with a flea in my ear, but mostly people have tended to appreciate the feed back.

Aveline Tue 04-Apr-23 16:12:27

Forget the Yorkshire pudding extra charge I'd certainly have complained about the missing integral parts of what you did order. I'd expect that to be reflected in the bill. I always give positive feedback as well as negative if appropriate.
I'm another Toby carvery fan. Once in a while it's just the thing. Generous helpings and usually in a nice setting. DH and SiL pay £1 extra for a larger plate to cram more meat and veg on. We call those plates 'gutbusters'! Go to Toby next time. Very reasonable prices too.

NanaDana Tue 04-Apr-23 16:27:47

So basically, you had an unsatisfactory meal and poor service. I'd have complained there and then. I suppose you could always complain retrospectively by email or on their website, but it never has the same impact. Depending on how you're treated, a frank review on Trip Advisor might then be appropriate.

Norah Tue 04-Apr-23 16:39:33

Sasta

I’m also thinking of what I could have served up for the price of both meals, £42 without drinks. Plus it would have been delicious with crispy roasties, not sad new spuds pretending to be roasties which were soggy. Plenty of leftovers for another day…… I’m not doing very well with my new aim at not moaning about things that do not matter am I? My husband doesn’t like me complaining when we’re out, though he often agrees with the sentiment, he just says we won’t go back. But they don’t learn then and do they care anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️. I may be suffering from old fa*t syndrome when I know I could do so much better. But all that washing up and cleaning if you make it at home 😳.

I understand. I hate eating away from home, especially that ridiculous price would make me moan. Do have a moan!