Gransnet forums

AIBU

What sounds and actions from the 1950s to. 1970s do you miss hearing or are glad are no more?

(112 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 11-Apr-23 07:27:41

For me it’s men whistling on their way to work. Never hear it nowadays.

The money containers in shops which were whisked upstairs and back down by a wire to pay for item and send back the change and The receipt

The knocker upper up north banging his stick on windows to get people up for work

Sound of clogs on cobbled streets.

Bellanonna Tue 11-Apr-23 10:28:43

Apologies. I should have read the thread title!

Bellanonna Tue 11-Apr-23 10:30:16

I think the milk was still delivered by horse and cart in the early 50s and we could hear the clip clop of hooves long before the milkman arrived in our road.

Bellanonna Tue 11-Apr-23 10:31:07

The sound of old fashioned push lawnmowers

Parsley3 Tue 11-Apr-23 10:34:18

The gaslighter man who came to my tenement close and used a wee ladder to climb up and light the gas mantel on the landing. That must have been in the 1950s.

Grandma70s Tue 11-Apr-23 10:41:51

casdon - oh yes, cuckoos. I haven’t heard one for years. Mind you, they used to drive me mad when they never stopped!

NanaDana Tue 11-Apr-23 10:42:47

Radio Caroline/Radio Luxembourg, the foghorn at the mouth of the Tyne, my Grandmother singing as she did her housework, the "swish" of the bacon-slicer in an old-fashioned Grocer's shop (I can actually smell cheese and ham when I think of that), the hooter sounding shift change at Swan Hunter's shipyard, the bell on the trams (long gone) in Newcastle upon Tyne. That'll do for now.. smile

Kate1949 Tue 11-Apr-23 10:46:28

We have trams back in Birmingham now and whilst it's not the old fashioned bell, a sort of bell rings when they are approaching. Lovely.

GagaJo Tue 11-Apr-23 10:48:21

The sound of the metal bins being emptied by the bin man. Followed by the frenzied growing and barking of our otherwise soft as sh*the lab hurling himself at our six-foot metal gate.

Blossoming Tue 11-Apr-23 11:31:19

The factory hooters calling people to work. Ship’s hooters on the docks. Church bells on a Sunday morning.

Ziplok Tue 11-Apr-23 11:41:48

The smell of tar when the council used to come and re-tarmac the roads in the summer holidays (I think all the Mums must have groaned inwardly as tar was inevitably traipsed indoors or got on our clothes).
As others mention, the pit hooter designating the start and end of shifts, the coal lorry delivering the coal, and the rag and bone man calling out.

pascal30 Tue 11-Apr-23 15:08:33

The local Smithy with the horses and smell of burning hoof

Skomer Tue 11-Apr-23 15:20:37

The milkman calling out “Milko”
I knew it meant I could have the top of the milk on my porridge.
Also the clop of the dray horses hooves as the brewery wagon came down the lane to my grandparents pub.

Hermother Tue 11-Apr-23 15:26:09

Housewives always wearing a pinny all day
Metal rollerskates that you adjusted with a little key that always got lost.
The sound of children playing games like cricket and rounders in the street in the evenings.
Being sent to the corner shop for 20 Woodbines for your dad and being able to keep the 2d change.

PaperMonster Tue 11-Apr-23 17:39:30

There’s a lady in our village wears a pinny like that! My granddad had some of those wooden butter paddles. I remember the siren from the local asylum which went off when a patient escaped. Used to terrify me.

Blondiescot Tue 11-Apr-23 18:03:15

The sound of children getting the belt at school...

Yammy Tue 11-Apr-23 18:18:54

The man who went around lighting the gas lights and the funny smell the gas lights made in the house.
All the men going to work early and the sound of their clogs.
Steam trains I loved the smell they made. All the women from one family going to a house after someone had died and trying on all the mourning clothes on the tick from the Co op.

joannapiano Tue 11-Apr-23 18:20:03

Our milk was also delivered by a lovely grey horse pulling a cart, with the milkman dressed in white.
My Nan used to give me a carrot and I would rush out and feed the horse.
This was North London in the early 50’s. The horse was stabled in the Lane just across the main road near us.

Ali08 Tue 11-Apr-23 21:40:17

Ziplok

The smell of tar when the council used to come and re-tarmac the roads in the summer holidays (I think all the Mums must have groaned inwardly as tar was inevitably traipsed indoors or got on our clothes).
As others mention, the pit hooter designating the start and end of shifts, the coal lorry delivering the coal, and the rag and bone man calling out.

I remember around 1976 getting tar on my clothes and skin. Oh I loved the smell, still do, and my mum rubbing warmed-up Lurpak (the only butter she'd buy) on my knees etc to remove the tar!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 11-Apr-23 21:50:16

Spinnaker

The sound of the pit buzzer - especially on New Year's Eve when it sounded at midnight to herald the new year.

For me the sound at New Year was all the ships in the docks on the Clyde sounding their sirens at midnight. No ships now…

Ali08 Tue 11-Apr-23 21:51:53

GagaJo
The sturdiness of the metal bins as they rarely, if ever, flew along the street on the wind!!
I feel very fortunate that my neighbour just along our little street has 3 young children that play out in the garden, and they never seem to argue even if the littlest one does occasionally hurt herself and has a little cry, but she's soon back to playing with her older brothers!
I miss hearing my friends play in the woods, climbing trees, calling to each other how much farther they should stretch for the large cluster of nuts!
Mr. Stonehouse with his horse and cart delivering milk!
People washing their cars in the back lanes with buckets of water or hosepipes.
Old lawn mowers, like BellaNonna!
Neighbours going about their lives without too much noise or arguments!!
The meal bells at school, the sounds of the cooks in the dining hall.
The bristles on the brooms as we did 'surrounds' at school or swept out our day-rooms!

Primrose53 Tue 11-Apr-23 22:03:52

What I miss most is the sound of kids playing outside. I was a child of the 50s and 60s and was never indoors. There would be gangs of us playing out.

My kids were born in the 80s and played outside in all weathers.

When did kids stop going outside? We live in a very large village with several hundred kids but you very rarely see them playing out.

Eloethan Tue 11-Apr-23 22:24:49

I miss the gentle sound of a manual lawnmower.

My grandpa used to buy me honeycomb on a stick, wrapped in spotted paper.

Shinamae Tue 11-Apr-23 22:30:27

Bellanonna

The sound of old fashioned push lawnmowers

I use one of those….🤓

Hermother Tue 11-Apr-23 22:41:00

Housewives used to get down on their hands and knees and scrub the front doorstep with a donkey stone. It was a source of great pride in having a clean and tidy doorstep. I've not seen a donkey stone for many years.

Aldom Tue 11-Apr-23 22:49:37

Curtains being drawn, as a mark of respect for a neighbour on the day of the funeral. Black armbands as a sign of mourning.