Gransnet forums

AIBU

What sounds and actions from the 1950s to. 1970s do you miss hearing or are glad are no more?

(112 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 11-Apr-23 07:27:41

For me it’s men whistling on their way to work. Never hear it nowadays.

The money containers in shops which were whisked upstairs and back down by a wire to pay for item and send back the change and The receipt

The knocker upper up north banging his stick on windows to get people up for work

Sound of clogs on cobbled streets.

Wishes Sun 16-Apr-23 12:54:42

Going to the same caravan every year in Weymouth. As a child it was an adventure.

Mum lighting the little gas lamps around the caravan in the evening.
Fetching the water from the communal water taps in two big containers allocated to each van.
Sleeping in the broom cupboard, as we termed it. It held the caravans cleaning materials with a small shelf and mattress. big enough for a little one! I graduated to my sisters bed when she stopped coming on holiday, she was ten years older than me.
Not so sure about the trek to the toilet block though! The daddy long legs used to freak me out.

Aldom Sun 16-Apr-23 13:30:21

Oopsadaisy1 You have reminded me of the coal man delivering coal. Ours uses to throw open the tall back gate so that it slammed against the wall.... then shout COAL!!!

Tinlizzy67 Sun 16-Apr-23 18:40:37

Loved the sound of train carriage doors being slammed by passengers leaving trains at Victoria Station in late 1950s. I used to walk home from primary school via the station, just to hear the sounds.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 16-Apr-23 19:54:01

We stayed in the same self catering flat in a house in Lowestoft for our week’s holiday every year. It was very close to the sea and I remember the sound of the waves when I went to sleep each night. Happy days.

Granmarderby10 Sun 16-Apr-23 20:28:17

Yes Wishes I love the touring caravan my parents owned as a child.
Those gas mantles had a special smell, and the morning cuppa even tasted special with twisted milk sterilised plus the smell of fresh grass wafting through the windows while we were still snuggled up in our sleeping bags.
Heavenly😌

Granmarderby10 Sun 16-Apr-23 20:29:44

Pushing cars was popular then I recall 🙃

Aveline Sun 16-Apr-23 21:14:34

Gosh yes! I must have pushed lots of cars in my time but certainly not recently. Also cars going into ditches seemed quite common.

Callistemon21 Sun 16-Apr-23 22:25:29

The chuff chuffing of steam trains
But I don't miss getting a smut in the eye if you dared to lean out of the window.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-Apr-23 07:16:11

Lying in bed this morning letting my mind drift and for no apparent reason

I remembered those shoe x-ray things.

Children’s shoe shops.

Climbed a couple of steps put your feet in new shoes into a gap and peered at them through an eye thing and lo and behold there were your toes wriggling in you new and roomy shoes.

Callistemon21 Mon 17-Apr-23 10:46:17

Whitewavemark2

Children’s shoe shops.

Climbed a couple of steps put your feet in new shoes into a gap and peered at them through an eye thing and lo and behold there were your toes wriggling in you new and roomy shoes.

😲 oh yes!

It was really good fun seeing the bones in your feet!
Quite shocking when you think about it!

Granmarderby10 Wed 19-Apr-23 23:10:30

Callistemon21

Whitewavemark2

Children’s shoe shops.

😲 oh yes!

It was really good fun seeing the bones in your feet!
Quite shocking when you think about it!

Yes I remember that, wasn’t it an odd thing. One of our big department stores ( remember them? ) had a whole floor for children’s shoes and the seating was arranged around a huge “fairy tale” tree trunk. It was great fun.
If it was school shoes though I often ended up with lace- ups because of my long narrow feet☹️