Gransnet forums

AIBU

Storing yogurt and cream etc

(31 Posts)
Glenfinnan Sun 02-Jul-23 23:13:29

I’m a bit fed up buying large tubs of yogurt, cream etc etc that now only have non resealable covering. I know we need to reduce plastic but the plastic lids were useful. The pot is plastic and I use cling film to reseal so not reducing plastic! Any advice on alternatives??

Granmarderby10 Sun 02-Jul-23 23:24:16

Yes I think it’s daft and they get tipped over so easily. Some sort of universal lid like there used to be available for pet food cans only transparent maybe an answer but are all cartons the same dimensions though.

Granmarderby10 Sun 02-Jul-23 23:27:34

I sense that many of these changes are merely jumping on the band wagon in the name of environmental friendliness.
Many are impractical and inferior.

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-Jul-23 23:32:33

I got a reusable lid from yeo Valley - for the (roughly) pint sized pots.
The big ones that are about 900g still have a lid.

SueDonim Mon 03-Jul-23 00:01:34

You can get silicon seals, like this. Most supermarkets sell them. www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Stretch-Freezer-Microwave-Reusable/dp/B0C4F36W3H/ref=sr_1_16?crid=3CDZU9QF3L79U&keywords=silicone%2Bcovers&sprefix=silicon%2Bcovers%2Caps%2C81&th=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1688338806&sr=8-16

Otherwise I just pop the open container inside a Tupperware pot and put a lid on that.

MiniMoon Mon 03-Jul-23 00:09:31

I bought a set similar to the ones linked by SueDonim. Mine are round and square, various sizes, they stretch to fit almost any container. They came in a handy zip lock bag. I use them all the time .

Doodledog Mon 03-Jul-23 00:38:21

This morning I knocked over a large pot of yoghurt which had been opened, had a little bit taken out of it and put back with one of those pointless 'lids' on top, so it looked new. It landed horizontally and spilt onto the bottom of the fridge. It is so expensive now, too - I think the pot was about £2.50.

Maddening.

Grammaretto Mon 03-Jul-23 01:09:31

Buy live yoghurt, eat it but keep a little, add warm milk and leave in a mixing bowl overnight, covered with a teatowel and leave in the airing cupboard.
Or use a yoghurt maker.
Nyum

Kim19 Mon 03-Jul-23 03:03:32

Thank goodness, I kept some of the Yeo lids when they warned this was about to happen.

Calendargirl Mon 03-Jul-23 06:44:44

I also kept some of the lids from the Tesco Greek yogurt ones.

Really mad with myself though. I use Coffeemate and congratulated myself on saving the last plastic lid. (The cardboard ones they now come with don’t fit very well).

Then I must have had a senior moment and chucked the plastic one when I opened a new container.

They are better than nothing, but don’t fit half as well as the plastic one.

Will have to try and get a permanent one that fits.

ginny Mon 03-Jul-23 06:49:22

I use the same as SueDonim.
Washable and last for years.

kittylester Mon 03-Jul-23 06:50:18

I use a mix of those mentioned by Suedonim and the ones in the photo.

JackyB Mon 03-Jul-23 06:51:12

I have some silicone all-purpose lids for this purpose but I have stopped using them because I found that they collected condensation and the food went mouldy quicker than with no lid at all.

I have seen people recommend pieces of that beeswax cloth, cut to size and pressed down over the edges. The warmth of your hand forms it into shape and sticks it slightly to the outside of the container. This makes sense. I don't have the beeswax cloths (I've tried them) because they can only be washed in cold water and I don't think that's hygienic. But in this case it's not actually touching the food....

The problem does not arise for me as here in Germany yoghurt is available in screw-top glass jars which you pay a deposit on and can return at the
little deposit machine in the entrance to the supermarkets. However, as you can see from my first sentence above. I do sometimes have those cartons which don't close again such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and quark. Maybe I will have to give in and use the beeswax cloths.

Grammaretto Mon 03-Jul-23 08:01:07

Ah the Germans are so practical JackyB
I haven't seen those here but we sell the beeswax covers in our community shop. I haven't tried those either as they are expensive.
I buy my milk in returnable glass jars. I think I'm about to request that yoghurt come that way.
The yoghurt I buy comes from Loch Arthur dairy, in sturdy plastic pots with lids which I use again.

Blondiescot Mon 03-Jul-23 08:26:22

Someone gave me one of the beeswax covers to try but it didn't work very well at all. I wouldn't bother getting any more, especially as they are expensive.

Witzend Mon 03-Jul-23 08:35:37

Yes, it’s very annoying.

The only person in this house who eats cream is dh - and SiL if he happens to be here, so I do resent having to buy a much bigger pot than needed - most shops don’t offer the small pots any more.
If I have a small empty Tupperware type box I will freeze the rest - and then probably forget that it’s there.

Norah Mon 03-Jul-23 08:36:52

Decant into a sterilised glass jar.

karmalady Mon 03-Jul-23 08:54:41

I dont use yoghurt any more, I make kefir in 1 litre glass jars with lids. I litre of kefir costs whatever you pay for a litre of whole milk, organic non homogenised costs me £1.55 and no heat is involved. It is beautiful and I love to handle the jars, which are curved to be safe in the hand. I also have a special lid which releases the gas build up as the kefir is made. Then after straining, it keeps in my fridge for a week, in a storage jar

Re cream, I too hate those awful lids that aren`t lids. I don`t buy it any more, except if I want to make ice cream, when I use the whole container plus kefir plus berries

Lovetopaint037 Mon 03-Jul-23 09:58:21

We have had our shopping delivered several times with spilt yoghurt. Each time the delivery driver has spotted it and taken it back. Then I get an email saying they are reimbursing me. This must happen so often that the Supermarkets must be losing money so hardly a financial decision. Madness.

annodomini Mon 03-Jul-23 10:14:21

So far, the large size Greek-type yoghurts I buy from either Waitrose or Aldo do have replaceable lids. Once I made the mistake of picking one up by the top. Never again!

Doodledog Mon 03-Jul-23 10:30:09

annodomini

So far, the large size Greek-type yoghurts I buy from either Waitrose or Aldo do have replaceable lids. Once I made the mistake of picking one up by the top. Never again!

The Sainsbury ones have the useless lids. I tend to use Rachel's Organic Greek yoghurt for my chia breakfasts, and make it in two batches, so whilst I'm eating the first one the tub is in the fridge waiting to be used up. It makes such a mess when it is knocked over, and we are not yet used to it needing TCL when reaching behind it for something else, so it's happened more than once.

I would happily switch brands if someone reintroduced the lids - take note supermarkets and food suppliers!

Blondiescot Mon 03-Jul-23 10:34:31

Lovetopaint037

We have had our shopping delivered several times with spilt yoghurt. Each time the delivery driver has spotted it and taken it back. Then I get an email saying they are reimbursing me. This must happen so often that the Supermarkets must be losing money so hardly a financial decision. Madness.

I don't get shopping delivered, but that must happen all the time. The lids are very easily burst if something happens to fall on top of the pots.

Callistemon21 Mon 03-Jul-23 10:37:12

JackyB

I have some silicone all-purpose lids for this purpose but I have stopped using them because I found that they collected condensation and the food went mouldy quicker than with no lid at all.

I have seen people recommend pieces of that beeswax cloth, cut to size and pressed down over the edges. The warmth of your hand forms it into shape and sticks it slightly to the outside of the container. This makes sense. I don't have the beeswax cloths (I've tried them) because they can only be washed in cold water and I don't think that's hygienic. But in this case it's not actually touching the food....

The problem does not arise for me as here in Germany yoghurt is available in screw-top glass jars which you pay a deposit on and can return at the
little deposit machine in the entrance to the supermarkets. However, as you can see from my first sentence above. I do sometimes have those cartons which don't close again such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and quark. Maybe I will have to give in and use the beeswax cloths.

DD has those beeswax covers, JackyB

Perhaps I'll dispense the yogurt, once opened, into a very clean (dishwashed) jamjar and make a note of the use by date.

I used to buy yogurt in screw top glass jars but it was more expensive and doesn't seem to be available now.

rockgran Mon 03-Jul-23 10:47:01

I usually make Easiyo yogurt but if I do buy any I just use the Easiyo lid as a cap.

nanna8 Mon 03-Jul-23 11:40:00

Hope they don’t bring that in here, we still have the normal ones. There is a foil lid that you remove but on top of that is a plastic one that you use until you finish it. The ice cream tubs are often made of rigid cardboard with rigid lids but the very big ones are still plastic. I remember the big outcry about using cardboard and paper because they chopped down trees. Now things seem to have changed and paper is everywhere again. Can’t win.