Gransnet forums

AIBU

Couch to 5k

(39 Posts)
Gwan1 Thu 06-Jul-23 18:48:53

I have just turned 60 and really need to get fit and healthy and drop some weight too.Has anyone done couch to 5k? If so how did you get on?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Jul-23 19:22:11

If you have self discipline you should be ok

Siope Fri 07-Jul-23 00:28:09

You might find None to Run better - it’s a slightly longer programme, with a focus on time rather than distance (and thus pace). It also has some strength and mobility exercises built in, which C25K doesn’t.

You can download the programme free, but if you want to use the app (which has motivational stuff etc) there is a charge.

Or Runners World magazine have a 12 week ‘30 minutes walk to 30 minutes run’ programme. There are some flexibility exercises on this page too:

www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a31707889/best-beginner-running-plan/

Both of these can be done more slowly, and are a bit gentler, especially early on, than C25K.

Readog Sat 08-Jul-23 11:16:01

I have. It was really great for me. I’m in my 60,s with some heart disease. I’m still running

MazMM Sat 08-Jul-23 11:21:02

I've done C25K a couple of times. I'm 67 now and really enjoyed it but confess that once I reached that amazing goal of running for 30mins (not 5k though) I didn't keep it up.
I ran slowly. I had watched videos of the benefits of slow running. I enjoyed Sanjeev Kohli as my guide and listened to 70s playlists!
I would really give it a go. I invested in slightly better running trainers, tried to go out first thing before breakfast and only carried my phone.
I better start again!

Stella14 Sat 08-Jul-23 11:23:07

I started it twice, getting to week three. Both times, I was thwarted by bad bouts of Covid that took me out of action for a couple of months, but I found the programme to be very good. You progress at your own pace and they encourage you to repeat a week as often as you need to if you reach one that feels too much.

TwinLolly Sat 08-Jul-23 11:30:50

My sister did it and is now doing a half marathon today! She is more motivated than me. I really need to get off my derriere. confused

Susieq62 Sat 08-Jul-23 11:45:21

I do park run every Saturday so I walk a bit run a bit and that is great! Our volunteers are very supportive! I recommend it !!

Scroggs1947 Sat 08-Jul-23 12:02:37

I did it 3 years ago, with a view to running 3k for the Race for Life. Unfortunately that was cancelled, so instead I ran the 3k around the Sports Ground in my village on my 73rd birthday. The app on my daughter's phone monitored the distance. I continued to run and fell over and broke my ankle. Six weeks later I started the C25K again and managed to complete the Race for Life at a jog in 2021.

Frogs Sat 08-Jul-23 12:09:49

I’m 76 and tried it a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed the buzz I got from running but only got half way into the programme when I started to get quite bad pain in one knee so I gave up. My chiropractor said I should have kept going and the knee pain would have passed but I chickened out.
It took six months before my knee felt right again.

Tee1 Sat 08-Jul-23 12:10:07

I’m 79. I cannot run owing to osteoarthritis and replaced knees and one hip but I regularly walk four or five miles at a good pace. I always feel better for it once everything has stopped aching!!!

Fernhillnana Sat 08-Jul-23 12:21:12

Running in older years seems to inevitably end up with injury. Surely swimming, yoga and walking are safer?

missdeke Sat 08-Jul-23 12:22:24

Am I the only one who finds this sort of exercise incredibly boring? I much preferred a sprint to long distance when I was at school and often won the 100 yds and hurdles on sports day. I do find most exercises boring, when I finally got some physio after breaking my hip I used to lose count before I even got to 10 reps I was so bored with it. I don't think there's any hope for me....

curlytops Sat 08-Jul-23 12:22:40

Thanks for the runners world link it looks a easier way to start.🙂

sally45 Sat 08-Jul-23 12:37:26

Thanks for this thread, I`m 78 and have one new hip, one hip going, and arthritis in my feet. Encouraged by your ideas, I`ll get walking. Probably tomorrow...

jocork Sat 08-Jul-23 12:50:50

I was told some years ago not to run as I had issues with knee pain and was seriously obese. Now I'm on the borderline between obese and overweight (lost over 5 stones) I probably could run, but choose not to. I do however walk much more than I did before.
I'm a member of a 'Simply Walk' group and walk for an hour each Friday followed by a sociable coffee. I've not been the last few weeks as I do casual work invigilating so was unavailable and I really miss it. Such a group is a good way to start.

Mishy Sat 08-Jul-23 12:54:17

My Dh is doing it at the moment but may I suggest FitFans which is run by football clubs (mines Blackpool) its funded by English Football League and for local people who want to get fit and loose weight. I have just done it and lost 1 stone and DH is 3 weeks into it. Learn about diet, health and fitness and is generally run in local church halls etc. Have a look on your local football club website for FitFans.

Omaoma57 Sat 08-Jul-23 13:06:00

I dislike running but can easily run for 30 minutes…but I joined a gym and they have dance fit…45 minutes of fun aerobic exercise that makes you smile…I also do pilates..both so good for your overall health, I am 67… no longer overweight and probably fitter than I have ever been!

Lifluf Sat 08-Jul-23 13:24:59

Worked for me too. You need will power to get through it but it's worth it. I left an extra day between runs to recover and used the 'Japanese slow running' technique which is on Google. So glad I persevered. Good luck.

Whiskers184 Sat 08-Jul-23 13:44:44

I haven’t done it but always looked with interest at it. I love walking and do a lot of it and often wondered what the other benefits of being able to run (very slowly I’m sure) 5k. Have you followed Fern Britton’s journey of c25k on instagram, it’s very interesting and inspiring.

Cambia Sat 08-Jul-23 14:08:43

Thanks for this thread. Did couch to 5k a few years ago but got an injury to my adductors along the way so had to stop. Going to try non to run as this looks quite gentle and it’s helpful to have exercises along the way to prevent injury. Good thread!

twiglet77 Sat 08-Jul-23 14:10:45

I’ve done various couch to 5k routines and my favourite is GetRunning, it works well with my own music on my iPhone.

I first tried in about 2014, just before I was 60. I always found I’d get to Week 3 and start getting trouble with my knees. Subsequently I’ve repeated Weeks 1 and 2, twice or three times, before ramping up to Week 3, so there’s a really good foundation.

I did the 5k Race For Life after a few months, ran the whole way in 29 minutes. I carried on extending my distances with a run 10k app, and did actually manage to run 10k in 62 minutes, without breaking to walk!

I run on roads and pavements as I slip more easily on grass, and I dislike bumpy, uneven going. Good socks are as vital as good running shoes - I had gait analysis done at a local sports shop.

I lost three stone that year.

Pjcpjc77 Sat 08-Jul-23 14:17:32

Daughter age 46 did it and now has serious problem of doing too much running!

Meta Sat 08-Jul-23 14:35:40

I’m keeping off 8.5 stone weight loss for three years after hearing about Bright Line Eating. I’m now 64 and am at my lowest weight for years. Only mention it in case may be helpful to anyone to have a read - I first heard about it myself on a forum on Gransnet.

heatherjw Sat 08-Jul-23 14:48:55

I started C25K 5 years ago when I was age 63. I was still working full time so it too me over 6 months to complete it. I still run at least a couple of times a week and continue to be amazed that my body can actually run, albeit slowly, for 40 minutes or more. I enjoy the fact that I am fitter now than I have been fir many years, and have the energy to keep up with the grandchildren.
I would definitely recommend it and also the Health Unlocked forum where you will find lots of really helpful advice, as well as other 'older' runners