Gransnet forums

AIBU

GP is not providing Covid vaccinations

(100 Posts)
Fairislecable Wed 20-Sep-23 18:00:52

I have heard nothing from our health centre with regards to Covid vaccinations. Despite checking on the website etc.

Unable to get through on the phone I popped in yesterday to be told they are not doing them this year and they think a pharmacy 12 miles away is doing them! (No public transport from here though).

I pointed out that perhaps if they are not providing a service to their patients it should be put on the website in a prominent position.

Is it just this area of Oxfordshire or is this the situation elsewhere?

henetha Wed 20-Sep-23 23:20:17

Our GP surgery sent me an text saying that I will be having the covid jab the same day as my flu jab, in early October.

silverlining48 Wed 20-Sep-23 23:20:50

I type last and it writes store! What is that about?

maddyone Wed 20-Sep-23 23:25:09

kittylester

We have never had Covid jabs via the gp. Book on line.

We have never had Covid jabs at our surgery either, we also book online or on the phone via a link.
Clearly if someone has to travel twelve or so miles to get the vaccination, then they live somewhere that is more isolated than than those who can walk to get the jab. If we want the vaccination, we have to be prepared to go to a vaccination center, wherever that happens to be. Use public transport, if it’s available, drive if you are able, arrange a lift with someone else who is going to the center, or ask a family member to take you. If all else fails, get a taxi. If you want the jab, you will overcome the obstacles. If you genuinely are unable to travel, a nurse or paramedic may possibly come to you.

maddyone Wed 20-Sep-23 23:30:20

FindingNemo15

Our surgery has been a bit hit and miss re the previous Covid injections. Last year our GP chose to go to centre and ignore his patients at our surgery and got paid £15 per injection! Such compassion.

What does this mean? No doctor is ever paid to do vaccinations of any sort. However their surgery is paid for doing flu jabs and possibly Covid jabs. The surgery is paid!
The money goes into the administration at the surgery.
I will repeat, because I’m fed up of people claiming that doctors are paid for doing vaccinations:

No doctor is ever paid for doing vaccinations.

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Sep-23 00:20:41

We had texts inviting us to make appointments for ours with our GP surgery, but none of the four dates offered suited us, so I booked them via the NHS website two days ago. It was quick and easy despite the fact that I couldn’t lay my hands on our NHS numbers. smile We could have had them done on any weekday or Saturday from yesterday at a choice of several very local pharmacies, but I’ve booked us in for next week.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 27-Sep-23 17:33:54

maddyone

FindingNemo15

Our surgery has been a bit hit and miss re the previous Covid injections. Last year our GP chose to go to centre and ignore his patients at our surgery and got paid £15 per injection! Such compassion.

What does this mean? No doctor is ever paid to do vaccinations of any sort. However their surgery is paid for doing flu jabs and possibly Covid jabs. The surgery is paid!
The money goes into the administration at the surgery.
I will repeat, because I’m fed up of people claiming that doctors are paid for doing vaccinations:

*No doctor is ever paid for doing vaccinations.*

He may well have been paid £15 per hour while working at a large, health trust run vaccination centre. That was the rate I received as a RN. I certainly didn’t get £15 per jab though!

BigBertha1 Wed 27-Sep-23 17:36:28

We are booked in at the GP for the flu vacs and ten minutes later at the pharmacy in the next road for our Covid boosters- very poor deployment of services I think.

Mollygo Wed 27-Sep-23 17:40:24

We had flu and Covid at the doctors’ surgery yesterday, but it was a practice nurse who did them. We were able to choose place date and time. Very useful.

maddyone Thu 28-Sep-23 09:05:36

We booked our Covid vaccinations yesterday through the NHS website, although we could have booked through the link sent by our GP surgery a few days ago.We’re going to the vaccination center a couple of miles away that we have used before. We’ll get our flu vaccinations either at our surgery or our pharmacy, but we’ve not booked yet.

twiglet77 Thu 28-Sep-23 09:10:46

I booked online on the NHS website, it was done on Tuesday at a pop-up clinic in the indoor shopping arcade. Same last year. No problems at all. I’m having the flu jab in a fortnight at Boots.

Witzend Thu 28-Sep-23 09:25:07

While I was at the GP for my covid booster last week, I asked to make an appt for a flu jab.

I was told in a distinctly offhand manner (I have to say unusual for our GP practice) that there were no slots left for my age group - ‘So we can’t offer you one. There’ll be another session later in the year.’ There was no mention that I could book one at e.g. Boots - I did wonder about people who might not know that this is an option.

I straightaway booked one at Boots instead, had it yesterday.
I do appreciate that I’m lucky to have a big Boots a short bus ride away.

maddyone Thu 28-Sep-23 09:26:58

Has the OP managed to sort out her vaccination yet? I hope she has.

Foxygloves Thu 28-Sep-23 09:33:18

I’m due to have both of mine next week at the surgery but I infinitely preferred it when I was offered a slot at a small local, independent pharmacy. No queues, no problem parking - and no pain!
Unfortunately you have to choose from those offered on the NHS app and it wasn’t on offer this time.

Marydoll Thu 28-Sep-23 09:35:37

Here in Glasgow, I am going to the local Health Centre, five minutes away, on a Saturday at 19.18 (how precise is that?).

I do not know of any GPs here, who are doing them. All are being done at hubs.

Grandyma Thu 28-Sep-23 09:40:22

I’ve just spent 8 days in ICU following a heart attack. The care was amazing. I’m now on cardiology ward and have contracted Covid whilst in intensive care. Covid is definitely back.

maddyone Thu 28-Sep-23 09:43:55

So pleased to hear you were well looked after Grandyma but sorry to hear you’ve now got Covid. Get well soon flowers

pascal30 Thu 28-Sep-23 09:50:46

Flu jab with GP.. covid jab from the central covid hub in Brighton.. Have you checked whether there is a mobile unit any closer than 12 miles? It seems unreasonable to have to travel that far if there isn't public transport.. Perhaps there is a local voluntary service that could give you a lift..

MiniMoon Thu 28-Sep-23 10:20:03

Going to our GP surgery for flu jab this afternoon. I have booked my covid booster for November at our local fire station.

Salti Thu 28-Sep-23 11:06:05

When I went to my surgery in July for something unrelated to flu or covid the nurse asked if I'd like to book my flu jab. I asked if I could book for my husband and brother in law too and she agreed. We are all going on Saturday morning.

Yesterday I got a text to my phone to book a covid jab. I clicked on the link and I selected a date a couple of weeks away and managed to book at a local pharmacy which has a car park right outside and good access for my brother-in-law, less than a mile away. I even managed to book 3 consecutive appointments for all three of us.

Fairislecable Thu 28-Sep-23 11:21:02

I have not had my Covid jab yet, but I have booked for shingles and flu jab at my GP.

I intend to get my Covid one next month.

My GPs have now put the information onto their website, for where to access the Covid jab, which I hope will enable patients to arrange transport etc

This is a massive modern health centre where treatment from top to toe is available ( eye and hearing tests, foot treatments and everything in between) there is also an on-site pharmacy .

But not Covid - I don’t understand why not.

Hellis Sun 01-Oct-23 11:31:12

I had both of my jabs yesterday, one in each arm, at the Gp surgery. They sent me a text about 3 weeks ago asking me to book on one of their Saturday clinics, open just for vaccines.

LJP1 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:33:52

Our GP did the vaccines a month ago and the local pharmacy is now offering the service to those who missed the first opportunity. Your local chemist is worth investgating.

Good luck!

SillyNanny321 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:35:19

Cost me £35 to go to a Pharmacy 25 miles away to get a covid jab as cannot book for one locally. Have Walk ins but with my disability I cannot stand & queue so no choice! Getting Flu jab in a couple of weeks at surgery though!

Quaver22 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:35:19

I am having both vaccinations this afternoon at my GP surgery. I live in Wales.

maddyone Sun 01-Oct-23 11:37:34

We had our Covid vaccinations on Friday at the vaccination center and I’m feeling a bit rough now. I’m glad I didn’t have the flu vaccination at the same time. DH is of course, true to form, absolutely fine.