Gransnet forums

AIBU

Christmas Newsletters

(111 Posts)
Quizzer Sat 09-Dec-23 15:48:35

I am quite happy to receive Christmas newsletters from friends and relatives that we rarely see, with genuine news.
However there is one type of letter that really makes me sick! We know one couple whose letter is all about the wonderful places they have been, the wonderful hotels they have stayed in and amazing restaurants they have eaten in, mentioning celebrities who were there. They even wax lyrical about the delightful place they live - a new town well known for its intrinsic lack of beauty. They go on to list their golfing successes on the most 'iconic' courses. Even the venue for a friend's son's wedding in Italy was so delightful that they felt they had to extend their trip. Are these people really so self satisfied that they have to tell everybody about their amazing life?

Oreo Sat 09-Dec-23 20:52:40

BlueBelle

I used to get one and it really was so boring as I had no interest in what their hobbies were or what they d done to their house that I d never seen…. we weren’t even close friends
Anyway they’ve ceased now thankfully and I haven’t had any others
I don’t like them

Annual firelighters😁

Cabbie21 Sat 09-Dec-23 21:15:26

I get quite a few. I enjoy most of them as they are interesting and it is nice to keep in touch. The one I like least is from my husband’s cousin. It is always full of their wonderful garden and their holidays. Also their wonderful nephews and nieces ( they have no children of their own.) This year, much the same, but not even a mention of my late husband, so I conclude that they only deal with positives, no negatives. I think they are not going to get a card from me.

annsixty Sat 09-Dec-23 21:24:21

Oh dear, what a reaction to my post.
I should like to say I have neither a chip on my shoulder or am jealous of anyone, what a dreadful conclusion to draw.

rafichagran Sat 09-Dec-23 21:52:14

I don't mind them, what I don't like is people who read them and accuse people of boasting or not being truthful. Why should people not say they had a nice holiday or their kids have done well.
Yes I do think there is a element of jealousy and spitefulness about these things.
If you don't like them stop reading them, if you feel they are boring or you feel resentful.

Joseann Sat 09-Dec-23 21:59:31

I think it is a bit cynical to suggest that people might be lying in their newsletter.
If I were to tell someone in a letter that I am going abroad to a Christmas Market next week, (which I am), but then couldn't discuss it when we spoke on the phone in the spring because I had lied, wouldn't that be a bit silly?

Marydoll Sat 09-Dec-23 22:02:52

Joseann

Aveline

That's not necessarily true annsixty. Everyone has ups and downs but why write about the downs? I alway think people who perceive others as lying or boasting might have a bit of a chip on their shoulders...

Or are jealous?

No-one's life is perfect!

I feel that people, who feel the need to boast in these letters may be insecure.
I don't think it's jealousy nor having a chip on our shoulders for those of us, who are irritated.
The letter writers are what we would call in my school a noticebox, someone who always has to seem to be more successful than others and needs to let everyone know.

Its not bitchiness nor jealousy, I don't see the point.

rafichagran Sat 09-Dec-23 22:12:04

I don't think people feel they are boasting they are just talking about their year.

Joseann Sat 09-Dec-23 22:22:28

Bizarrely, it occurred to me, that if I were to pen such a letter, I would probably talk more about what I was going to do in the coming year. I'm not sure what that indicates!?

lixy Sat 09-Dec-23 22:23:01

I'm glad the round-robins we receive are cheery updates. I don't write one - never have - but do write a brief message inside a card to long-standing friends.

My Dad used to use round-robins as spills to light the fire, usually muttering about the art of fitting everything salient on to one side of A4!

Marydoll I hadn't heard the 'notice box' phrase before - very apt. grin

Overthemoongran Sat 09-Dec-23 22:41:29

I love to receive newsy round robins from old friends, but I haven’t seen some of these people for many, many years, so I don’t know their adult children (I knew them when they were small) & I certainly don’t know the grandchildren. When a whole page is devoted to what these grandchildren are doing I do tend to get confused and lose interest.

polomint Sat 09-Dec-23 22:46:22

I would love to receive round robins. I get xmas cards from family and friends but never anything written in them about how they are doing. I send cards too but just sign our names. I'd love to know what people are doing on holiday their hobbies etc but not at length. Maybe I'm just a nosey person but I would prefer to be called interested in other folk

NotSpaghetti Sat 09-Dec-23 22:57:54

Germanshepherdsmum

I’m glad I wasn’t on your Christmas card list NS!

Ha ha! Yes. Fair enough. grin
But they never went to everyone anyway!

Redhead56 Sun 10-Dec-23 01:02:18

Yes heard a lot from so called friends with self inflated egos never ending ramblings of holidays and GC who are so so clever. We got sick of listening to it so stopped bothering. We feel a lot better for it and concentrate on our own family.

CornflowerBlue Sun 10-Dec-23 05:44:53

I don't mind them at all, though when I send them, I do also add in some of the perhaps not so good news as I just feel it sounds more 'rounded' and like normal life! However , I did used to get one every year from an old school friend whose children and grandchildren I had never met, and everything was all 'wonderful' but that was OK. It was the fact that every letter was typed and started with 'Dear......' with a gap to add the recipients name but was never filled in. It then immediately followed with all their news without even a 'how are you' and continued on for pages and ended just as abruptly without even a 'Happy Christmas to you and your family' . In all those years there had never been any mention of me or my family or of the letters I sent her, not even a hand written PS to say thank you for your letter or anything and despite me being remarried for 20 years, most letters came to me addressed in my previous surname! I stopped writing a couple of years ago and I don't expect she even noticed!

grandMattie Sun 10-Dec-23 05:51:27

I find them hilarious.. Poor things, so boring and insecure that they have to manufacture “perfection”?
I have to confess that I do write one myself, but since my life is very pedestrian, I try to keep it short and just giving actual news.

nanna8 Sun 10-Dec-23 06:45:25

I don’t mind them. You are hardly going to spell out doom and gloom at Christmas, particularly to people you rarely see. I couldn’t be bothered doing one this year but when I do I include some difficult times as well. However, some years are just magic and there aren’t any negatives. Lucky. Be pleased for them.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Dec-23 07:34:54

annsixty

I should like to say I have neither a chip on my shoulder or am jealous of anyone, what a dreadful conclusion to draw.

I thought your post was fine annsixty.

You just said what many of us think.

👍🏻

Margs Sun 10-Dec-23 08:00:06

Quizzer: methinks they do protest too much.
Porkies, probably, to the end!

pascal30 Sun 10-Dec-23 09:49:58

Dickens

Those round-robins are a good idea in principle but reading over-long tomes about the events that make up the lives of friends and acquaintances you don't see very often - and only think of occasionally- can be tedious.

I've never written one because I know I could not make it interesting enough.

I'm seldom interested in other people's holiday experiences so don't believe they'd be interested in mine. I did a six-week tour of Eastern Europe a while back - it was fascinating (and sometimes even dangerous)... but only to me and as I don't have the skill of a great author, I think the recounting of the travels would simply be a rather boring read.

My offspring are doing fairly well - but no better than most of the children and grandchildren of others, so who'd want to read a litany about their progress?

Nope... I'll stick to sending cards if necessary with the simple, "we're all well, hope to see you in the near future".

I'd love to hear about your tour of Eastern Europe Dickens.. did you do it through a travel company?

Parsley3 Sun 10-Dec-23 10:05:50

I used to get one from an acquaintance who clearly wrote a sentence for each month during the year and printed it off in December. I was fascinated to read that in March she had soup and sandwiches with Bob and Betty.
On the other hand I welcome real news, happy or sad that is jotted on the card.

Nannarose Sun 10-Dec-23 10:19:03

I enjoy them. I am interested in people I care about, even if our main relationship was in the past. We don't really get those boasting ones.

harrigran Sun 10-Dec-23 10:28:30

The round Robins I get are from DH's old work colleagues, on first reading they sound fictional but I do know they live the kind of lives they write about.
The only thing that annoyed me about the last one I got was the fact that they addressed the card and letter to Mr &Mrs harrigran despite being told and having been sent an order of service from DH's funeral.

Enid101 Sun 10-Dec-23 11:27:48

I think Christmas letters are a bit like posts on this forum. Some people wax lyrical about how many cashmere cardigans they own and how amazing their theatre trips are. Others talk about illness and sadness in their lives, whilst many simply describe their plans for the day and enjoy the love and support they give and receive. Long may it continue.

Bellanonna Sun 10-Dec-23 11:50:40

Calendargirl

annsixty

I thought your post was fine annsixty.

You just said what many of us think.

👍🏻

I thought that too, Annsixty.

Aveline Sun 10-Dec-23 13:07:21

A sad state of affairs indeed when you grudge or disbelieve others their interesting lives. If you can't stand hearing from these old friends just don't read their Christmas letters.