Reading through this lot, you realise why, when planning a day out, thinking about where the loos are become a priority!
Must be an age thing, never gave going to the loo a thought when I was young.
🚽🧻
Do You Have Any Strange Memories?
I try to avoid public toilets but had to visit one at the theatre yesterday. I knew it would be bad when the lady before me, a very slender person, told me it was very narrow bd a real squeeze. It was. You had to squash up right next to the toilet to be able to shut the door. This is a common occurrence. It wasn’t an old Victorian theatre and the toilets were located in the modern bar extension next door so no excuse really for this.
I really think architects should visit the buildings after they are built to find out if they actually function as they should.
Reading through this lot, you realise why, when planning a day out, thinking about where the loos are become a priority!
Must be an age thing, never gave going to the loo a thought when I was young.
🚽🧻
When my mother and I went out for the day when she was older we used to travel between the various loos, stopping at most of them "even if neither of us really needed to".
I lived in Bath then, and most of the old public WCs had been closed or had restricted opening hours. Those in shops were few and far between, with the result that the Ladies in Marks and Spencer usually had a long queue though there were quite a few cubicles inside.
It's fine if you go to a shopping mall, but even the large department stores have very limited facilities now. Locally we just have Morrisons, with three cubicles shared between the sexes - and usually at least one is out of order.
Not only cramped but the toilets themselves are so low. I’m arthritic and find it difficult to rise when my knees are much higher than my bottom.
Public toilets in uk are difficult to find and so horrible that often feel wetting self is a better option.
Youngerthanspringtim
I think at railway stations etc they should be bigger, it can be difficult to manoevre your suitcase plus your bag into them.
Agree about the doors opening outwards, it helps hugely.
They should all be like that at stations etc.
I reluctantly paid a visit to the ladies toilet at my local train station. What a wonderful surprise! It’s a ‘one in one out’ a large room with a nappy changing table a huge mirror and room to swing ten cats!
I was so impressed!
Youngerthanspringtim
e I think at railway stations etc they should be bigger, it can be difficult to manoevre your suitcase plus your bag into them.
Agree about the doors opening outwards, it helps hugely.
They should all be like that at stations etc.
I heartily agree with you.
Goldieoldie15
Public toilets in uk are difficult to find and so horrible that often feel wetting self is a better option.
😂
Nandalot
I try to avoid public toilets but had to visit one at the theatre yesterday. I knew it would be bad when the lady before me, a very slender person, told me it was very narrow bd a real squeeze. It was. You had to squash up right next to the toilet to be able to shut the door. This is a common occurrence. It wasn’t an old Victorian theatre and the toilets were located in the modern bar extension next door so no excuse really for this.
I really think architects should visit the buildings after they are built to find out if they actually function as they should.
Bit late then tho innit
But they will learn from their mistakes! Hopefully!
MT62
NoodleNut
In a pub near us the toilet door actually has a 'cut out' so that door can open around the toilet seat!
How does that work?
It's wide but narrow? So you have to go in, stand by the side of toilet - plenty of room- then close the door.
It's in a Beefeater chain, old building with wonky walls... it't only the one toilet at the end of a row or normal doors.
Big problem for pregnant women!
The toilets at a local community centre have ting cubicles that it is very difficult to wind your way in and out of. I have explained to them that some improvement could be achieved by simply moving the toilet roll holder to the other side .... even drew them a diagram! Needless to say they took no notice!
Tiny, not ting!
I also find public lavatories too low, my knees are up to my shoulders!!
one of our local pubs, you have to squeeze by the side of the toilet in order to shut the door. If you were large I imagine it would be impossible
Totally agree about size of public loos. I also think entrance doors in and out of public toilets should be automatic ( not the individual cubicle) as you wash your hands after using toilet then have to pull a dirty handle to open the exit door. Also some people don’t wash their hands after going to the toilet!! Disgusting!
Fartooold
I also find public lavatories too low, my knees are up to my shoulders!!
Excellent position for emptying the bowel. Many countries prefer "squat" toilets (with no seat) for that reason.
I hardly ever use a public loo but they’re usually a lot cleaner now than they used to be. Travelling with lots of young children was a nightmare of filthy stinking loos with no paper, blocked sinks and never enough room to get in with more than one child.
Does anyone remember Tiddles, the enormous tabby cat in the ladies’ loo at Paddington station?
I often feel claustrophobic in a public toilet and then I get obsessed with checking that the door locks and unlocks ok before I actually stay in it. I’ve taken to use the disabled toilet sometimes which I feel guilty about.
I’m sure there’s a guide online to loos in the UK! Might have made this up!
I use a mobility aid, difficult to get the three wheeled one into most publics toilets. I look for a wider one but often end up using the disabled facilities.
I use the loos at the local shopping centre. I try to use the disabled loo if the door is open. My key doesn't fit! The loo is long and narrow so how somebody in a wheelchair gets in and out I have no idea, The loo is so low also. If somebody has had a hip replacement it would easily dislocate so that person would have to stand. I am not talking about somebody who uses a raised appliance at home but one who was operated within a few months.
I live in London and can't remember when I last saw a public loo. Some tube stations have a loo but most times they are locked.
That’s one thing they are good at here- sizeable clean loos. Every town has them ,several in every shopping mall and most beaches have one, even the ‘remote’ ones. Thank goodness.
I find the problem is that standards and sizes of loos are set without any thought to what else, apart from the loo may be retro fitted. Similarly extra equipment is installed in loos without any thought about how people use them.
I am neither overweight not restricted in movement in any way but I recently went to the theatre and where the cubicle was small to begin with, then one of those huge modern loo paper dispensers was screwed to one side wall and a sanitary waste bin on the other, even I found it difficult to get my underwear down, use the loo and then try and return to normal dress before opening the door.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.