Gransnet forums

AIBU

It’s far too soon, isn’t it?

(62 Posts)
Nandalot Tue 11-Aug-26 18:39:21

I have been to two garden centres this week and both had displays of Christmas cards and calendars for 2027. In today’s one they had nearly finished assembling the animated Christmas village!

MT62 Wed 12-Aug-26 15:34:56

MissAdventure

Christmas for me started when 'Blue Peter' started lighting the candles (?!) on their thingy made out of coat hangers and tinsel, and when the bumper tv and radio times appeared in the living room.

Ha I remember that episode of blue Peter. A little like a chandelier by the time it was finished

Redcar Wed 12-Aug-26 15:24:57

Saga have been advertising their Christmas breaks on Facebook for several weeks now!
I bought next year’s diaries at the local RHS gardens last week too!
No doubt the local garden centre will have it’s Christmas displays by September 1st!

SaxonGrace Wed 12-Aug-26 15:05:31

A friend who works for a very large supermarket chain told me two weeks ago that they had taken delivery of Christmas stock ready to go out very soon. I suspect all the stores do the same.

Fallingstar Wed 12-Aug-26 14:08:33

If Dickens were alive today perhaps he would have set his Christmas Carol in August.🧐

Knitter43 Wed 12-Aug-26 13:58:48

I agree it's far too soon. I used to have a card shop and we always put our Christmas stock out in October, the weekend the clocks went back. That seemed about right. If they are on sale too soon, people don' t buy them so you might as well use the space for stock that is actually selling. I always used to get the Christmas stock put away straight after Christmas too and make sure I had a new range of cards to replace it to revive interest!

JennyCee Wed 12-Aug-26 13:52:44

I received an advert for Advent Calendars from JOHN LEWIS of all people

nanna8 Wed 12-Aug-26 13:38:52

MayBee70

Quite pleased to hear it actually as my Christmas tree is still in the living room. Couldn’t fit it back into it’s box and struggle to get into the loft anyway…

Gave me a giggle, love it.

nanna8 Wed 12-Aug-26 13:38:15

Witzend

A couple of weeks ago I bought 4 packs of Christmas cards in an RNLI shop in Northumberland.
No apologies, I really liked them. And there aren’t any RNLI shops where I live.

I love those dogs, what a beautiful picture. ❤️

Mollygo Wed 12-Aug-26 11:15:30

We’re always being told how much better other countries do things -education, road maintenance, medical care etc. We bought Christmas cards and baubles when we were on a cruise in April. Perhaps the UK is “trying to do better” by emulating our European counterparts.

Harris27 Wed 12-Aug-26 10:49:52

I like a Christmas film in the afternoon don’t know why but I’ve always loved Christmas films and Christmas! However yes I agree my local garden centre is doing exactly the same half the shop is cordoned off but it will be enormous when finished so maybe they’re starting early🎄🤔

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 10:48:46

Christmas for me started when 'Blue Peter' started lighting the candles (?!) on their thingy made out of coat hangers and tinsel, and when the bumper tv and radio times appeared in the living room.

Maremia Wed 12-Aug-26 10:44:48

I like to enjoy Hallowe'en first, but if I see something that will suit a picky person, then yes, I buy and stash.

MT62 Wed 12-Aug-26 10:37:06

It’s just ridiculous. It’s making the year fly by 🙄

TerriBull Wed 12-Aug-26 10:29:53

Oh FGS people are just making observations Paddyann. Everything is available on line these days anyway. I don't think anyone here wants to thwart others early Christmas planning. They just don't want to be bombarded with what has essentially been turned into a an over commercialised spend fest months in advance. Particularly when we're still experiencing a polonged summer As mentioned up thread by the time it's here everone is sick of it. For many, it can be a worrying, stressful and lonely time without upping the ante way in advance.

AGAA4 Wed 12-Aug-26 10:27:45

Thoughts of Christmas didn't start till December when I was young.
It becomes tedious when it starts in August and takes all the anticipation of the celebration away.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 10:19:47

It's good to be so organised, i just object to the full throttle twinkly trees, snow, and Shaking Stevens rocking around his christmas tree from summer until December.
Nowt wrong with picking up a bargain beforehand, though.

paddyann54 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:38:43

My daughter announced yesterday that her christmas shopping is complete.
I.m a bit later this year but like to have everything bought and wrapped by late November.
I worked long hours so the last thing I needed was to face a Christmas rush,my daughter has multiple illnesses and usually a a few visitors to feed over the holiday season so it makes sense to get presents out of the way.
If its not your way thats fine but let us folk who like to be organised for reasons that are our own get on with it without this yearly moan.
You do your life your way,I,m very happy doing mine how I want

Lathyrus3 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:22:49

My son has a gift shop.

People have been asking for Christmas cards for over a month now.

He’s given in with a small display. Otherwise they’ll buy them somewhere else🙁

Basgetti Wed 12-Aug-26 08:42:15

It’s been full blown Halloween in our shopping centre for at least two weeks.

MayBee70 Tue 11-Aug-26 23:42:53

Quite pleased to hear it actually as my Christmas tree is still in the living room. Couldn’t fit it back into it’s box and struggle to get into the loft anyway…

Shinamae Tue 11-Aug-26 22:17:08

When I was a child you heard about Christmas maybe two weeks before so had the time to get really truly excited
Now you hear about it six months before and by the time it gets here I’m absolutely sick of it…..😜

HelterSkelter1 Tue 11-Aug-26 22:13:26

Witzend. I will excuse you as I love RNLI cards. I would have succumbed as well had I been by the sea. Even though this yeae I may not send any.

But tins of christmas sweets. No thank you. I don't even like them anymore.

Fallingstar Tue 11-Aug-26 22:03:40

I do like Christmas but not until December, until then I get on with non Christmas related stuff.
Is a huge commercial onslaught and with the cost of living crisis and many who will struggle to heat and eat in the winter,
I think is cruel. Many will go into debt trying to buy things for one day of the year.
So I ignore it and buy most presents on vinted - in December - I don’t send cards and came to an agreement with a few friends that we wouldn’t buy for each other. Am not a Scrooge, would just rather save money for when the family hit a rainy day, which is actually the case right now.

Witzend Tue 11-Aug-26 19:56:28

A couple of weeks ago I bought 4 packs of Christmas cards in an RNLI shop in Northumberland.
No apologies, I really liked them. And there aren’t any RNLI shops where I live.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-26 19:54:52

I think its absolutely a load of greedy, money grasping b**locks from the retail industry.
Are Christmases any happier for it?
Nope.