Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to say that husband was irresponsible?

(65 Posts)
singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 14:08:15

Yesterday we took the grandsons (8 and 11) to an event in the park and when we were walking back to the car they wanted a wee so we turned into the playpark where there is a toilet. I waited near the entrance but after quite a while I went to look for them and discovered that DH had let them, fully clothed, go into the splashpark bit where there were water cannons, water buckets on poles etc. They were having a wonderful time, of course, but were wet through. I said this was irresponsible since we do not keep spare clothes at our house and they were an hour away from home. In actual fact we had a couple of pairs of pyjamas (which I had bought a while ago when their overnight bag didn't contain any) but DH had not remembered that, so as far as he knew they would be in wet clothes and shoes for a while. He said it was ok because they were enjoying themselves. We got home and they put on the pyjamas which they went home in. I am upset still because he didn't think it through. I, of course, would not have allowed them to go in and I am aware that one of the reasons for that is that I had a very strict upbringing and fun and risk taking was not really on the agenda. At nearly 80 I am not going to change now but I feel quite down today, and still quite cross with DH.

ginny Wed 19-Aug-26 15:59:35

In their everyday clothes would have been much more fun than in a swimsuit. On a warm day it wouldn’t have bothered me at all. Actually I might have joined in. 😁

butterandjam Wed 19-Aug-26 16:25:22

Before there were water parks, on a hot summers day kids would get soaked to the skin with the garden hose or water pistols or just splashing in a loch pond or stream while the adults either watched or joined in.

It's called harmless fun.

Oldnproud Wed 19-Aug-26 16:50:54

butterandjam

Before there were water parks, on a hot summers day kids would get soaked to the skin with the garden hose or water pistols or just splashing in a loch pond or stream while the adults either watched or joined in.

It's called harmless fun.

Absolutely. Your post has just brought back many memories of playing in streams as a child, and not even an adult with us by the time we were about eight.
Looking back, I think we were the last of the free-range kids in our country area, and i feel sorry for those only slightly younger who never enjoyed that freedom.
We never took a towel or anything with us, but it didnt bother us or our parents that we must have walked home in wet clothes.

The garden hose felt like a huge treat - that only happened occasionally, in dry spells, if my dad decided to water the lawn in the evening. I would wear my swimming costume for that.

Those are happy memories 😊

Franbern Wed 19-Aug-26 16:53:07

As part of the main shopping street where I live, there is also a large square (used for Festivals, markets etc.) Part of this are fountains, which get small then grow and grow and then get small again.

Children love these, no matter what the weather, there are usually children playing in them, getting soaking wet. Sometimes, parents/carers in the know change them into swimming cossies. but most just go in their normal clothes. Even when the weather is quite chilly you will see youngsters playing happily in these fountains.
It is fun to watch them and the occasional pet dog that joins in.

ClicketyClick Wed 19-Aug-26 19:09:08

Luke others have said they'll remember that day with such fondness and if they'd had to have worn their Gd's dry clothes that would have just added to their memories. Life's too short to not let go of any inhibitions. I hope at the next fun time that you feel able to join in and show that grandma can be fun as well

Cossy Wed 19-Aug-26 19:14:12

singingnutty

Thanks for all the comments so far and I do appreciate your views and advice to me to try to unbutton a bit. I just need to say that I didn’t ‘overrule’ DH except I did let him know I wasn’t happy and I certainly did not rage about the wet clothes. No point! As far as the boys knew I didn’t disapprove although perhaps they may have noticed body language!

I think you just still have a tiny part of you that acknowledges your own parents would have disapproved.

Please don’t dwell on this, it happened, everyone was fine and I’m sure you’ve forgiven “fun” Grampa now.

Make the most of your lovely DGC, they grow up so quickly.

Don’t beat yourself up or your DH. thanks

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Aug-26 19:17:09

It's just a bit of water ... which will vanish quickly in this heat!

Your OH was right .... they are only young once!

Grammaretto Wed 19-Aug-26 19:30:59

I took my Nottingham DGC on the bus into Nottingham city centre when they were the ages of your 2.
We had intended to go to the castle or something but found a "beach" complete with paddling pools, fountains and water sprays.
They looked longingly for a few minutes so first I said they could paddle and soon they were thoroughly wet.
No towels or spare clothes. There was a nearby shop Primark or something and I bought them both t shirts so we could get on the bus home.
So much more fun than the castle would have been.
Sometimes you have to relax and be spontaneous.

Aldom Wed 19-Aug-26 19:36:24

One of my best memories from my early teens is of rowing on a lake with my friend. We decided to change ends and in the process the boat capsized and I fell into the lake.
I came out soaked to the skin and we had to get the bus home with me looking like a wet scarecrow!
But how we laughed. It's a good memory.
I'd give your husband a hug if I were you and tell him he'd got it right.
The little boys will treasure the memory long after you are gone.
My friend who was rowing with me died suddenly eight years ago, but she's always there in that fun memory.

valdali Wed 19-Aug-26 19:41:11

Have to say, singing, I'm with your husband on this one. They're not going to get pneumonia from being in wet clothes a while in the current temperatures. & what fun!

Greyduster Wed 19-Aug-26 19:47:56

I lost count of the number of times that either GS or DH would end up wet through - either retrieving a football from the shallow river in the park, paddling in some moorland stream or squirting each other with super soakers in the garden. There wasn’t always a change of clothes available for either of them! GS will still have “do you remember when grandad….?” moments from time to time. They are very precious. Make the most of them.

Margs Wed 19-Aug-26 19:51:29

If he's being lauded as a 'Fun Grandpa' does that mean you are being silently labelled 'Grumpy Granny'?

If that's the case then you'd be justified in making your feelings known quite clearly.

Greyduster Wed 19-Aug-26 19:52:33

And when we paddled a canoe on the lake in the country park, GS sat in the middle and whoever sat behind him would always get a soaking - it was usually me!

Witzend Wed 19-Aug-26 20:05:04

Honestly, as long as they had fun, don’t let it upset or bother you.

We’ve been in this position twice with the Gdcs. Last year it was at the Wetlands Centre at Barnes, where there was a play water feature in the brilliant children’s playground. It was a very warm day, other children were running around in the water - of course ours were dying to join in. They were then 5, 9, 10.

They all got soaked, and although I had a change of clothes at home, since they were staying, we had 2 long bus rides before we got there!

Just recently this year, they were dying to have a go at the Water Wars (don’t ask!) at Bocketts Farm. Dh joined in - they all got very wet. Luckily there was time to run around in the sun before the drive home.
No harm done either time! But they had a lovely time.

Aldom Wed 19-Aug-26 20:07:58

Margs

If he's being lauded as a 'Fun Grandpa' does that mean you are being silently labelled 'Grumpy Granny'?

If that's the case then you'd be justified in making your feelings known quite clearly.

Singingnutty put her OP in AIBU.
She was asking a question. We've given her our opinions. That is what she wanted from us
We're not suggesting SN is grumpy at all. Simply saying that, yes we do think her husband was right in this instance.

MawsRosie Wed 19-Aug-26 20:31:11

Sadly this is why grandpas are generally regarded as more fun than (sensible) grannies!

Gran22boys Wed 19-Aug-26 20:37:15

I’m the fun one. My DH is like the fun police. He had a strict upbringing- no fun at all. I always tell him to chill out but he finds it hard to do. Such a shame. Life shouldn’t be always serious. .

icanhandthemback Wed 19-Aug-26 21:13:18

MawsRosie

Sadly this is why grandpas are generally regarded as more fun than (sensible) grannies!

Not in this house. Grandad is known as the grumpy old man. I am far more relaxed as long as it not hurting anybody else or themselves.

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Aug-26 21:48:46

I'd give your husband a hug if I were you and tell him he'd got it right.

Yes. Give him a big hug and remember the happy day for the joy your grandchildren had.

It may even become a bit of a jokey memory in years to come, and you will be able to laugh at yourself with them...

"^Remember when we larked about in the water feature and granny got cross because we had no dry clothes^ ... and then we had to go home in *Christmas pyjamas*"

gringringrin
Yes, value that "silly" man.

singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 21:53:09

Well, how did you know they were Christmas pyjamas? !!!! 😀😀

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 05:37:41

Were they?
😃
I obviously invented that! Apologies!

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 05:38:49

I do hope you are feeling better today singingnutty

Daddima Thu 20-Aug-26 06:58:45

NotSpaghetti

I do hope you are feeling better today singingnutty

I do too, and as ginny said, being in everyday clothes would be a big part of the fun!
I can guess what their next request will be when an outing is suggested, so maybe have a change of clothes at your house.

labazs Thu 20-Aug-26 07:41:46

bet they had a ball! its hard to lighten up if you are not like that me included but wet clothes are nothing. soon dry or put on line or stop at Tesco get some cheap outfits.

Beeb Thu 20-Aug-26 07:54:52

I can relate to what you’re saying. I had a strict upbringing and my DH is much more free spirited. I probably would have been frustrated with my DH in those circumstances, however I know that at times I need to shake it off and lighten up. If your GC noticed you being cross that’s fine - might have made them feel it was a bit naughty and so a bit more fun, but also would have emphasised that it’s not a sensible everyday activity. No harm done, it was a hot day, and they had a great time. Hope it’s water under the bridge.