Gransnet forums

AIBU

Entertaining neighbours

(88 Posts)
honeyrose Sun 30-Aug-26 13:22:50

We’ve been to 2 sets of neighbours houses for a meal over the last year and I feel I ought to ask them back to our house for a meal as a way of reciprocating. Trouble is, I don’t like cooking for people - I get very flustered, tired and I worry that I’m not a good hostess. I just cook for DH and I, but once a year do a family buffet for 9 or 10 people. DH feels that we should reciprocate with the neighbours, but he’s not the one doing the cooking. We only have a small dining table which would seat 6 at a pinch, but I’d have no room to put out dishes of vegetables etc. DH won’t eat anything other than English food and I find that I’m going round in circles and keep putting off inviting them. There would be 6 of us in total. I’ve never cooked a chilli as I know that’s an easy one to share. What do others suggest, please. Would a buffet be acceptable? I’d rather take them all out for a meal, but that would prove to be very expensive if we went anywhere decent. I know I’m making loads of excuses, but it’s bothering me about what to do. I’d rather the neighbours had just invited us round for drinks and nibbles and then it would be easier to invite them back.

Pigma Sun 30-Aug-26 18:34:21

You could make a lasagne the day before - or earlier and freeze then defrost - and serve that from the worktop. Pass round some garlic bread - bought and reheated in the oven with the lasagne - and a bowl of mixed salad.
Pudding - some form of tart from Marks’ with a jug of cream to pass round.
Very simple and all prepped in advance.
Nibbles with drinks beforehand.
All prepared ahead of time, once the lasagne is cooked it will sit for quite a while in a very low oven and come to no harm.
You should have a lovely evening with a very acceptable meal and a non-stressed hostess.

Pigma Sun 30-Aug-26 18:36:41

Oops, sorry, just reread your husband only likes English food - tell him it’s mince and cheese sauce, he can leave the lasagne if he wants or just serve him a portion with no lasagne in it.

MarieElla Sun 30-Aug-26 19:20:21

Can't your husband cook?

JoyBloggs Sun 30-Aug-26 19:59:03

Ooh, honeyrose, I'm so pleased to 'meet' you! It is great to know there's someone else out there who shares my lack of enthusiasm for cooking meals for people... I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world! I will follow this thread with interest and wish you the very best of luck!

midgey Sun 30-Aug-26 20:08:15

Why don’t you just tell them you hate cooking and suggest a pub lunch together? I loathe cooking, it’s such a waste of time so I totally understand.

MissAdventure Sun 30-Aug-26 20:22:50

Supermarkets will make up platters of sandwiches, chicken drumsticks, and things like that.

They vary in price depending on what fillings you want, and come all laid out nicely on silver disposable serving platters.
If you really don't want to cook, it might be worth getting a few of those.

Nannytopsy Sun 30-Aug-26 20:32:41

Cook’s chicken, ham and leek pies are very good and easy to pass off as your own particularly if you get one of their pie dishes too ! ( Shhh!)

JoyBloggs Sun 30-Aug-26 20:45:31

One time when I had to feed people I bought a huge ready made boeuf bourgignon (my butcher very conveniently made and sold these in foil containers for reluctant cooks such as myself). I simply dusted off one of my own casserole dishes and shovelled it in... it was yummy. I managed to cook a few green beans and new potatoes to accompany. Nobody asked for the recipe or I would have owned up. grin Probably strawberries and cream for dessert.

MissAdventure Sun 30-Aug-26 20:49:39

Sneaky.
I like it... wink

Bellanonna Sun 30-Aug-26 21:35:44

Really good advice on here. I’d definitely go with the buffet option, ordering platters from M&S or Waitrose, or whoever. I wouldn’t bother cooking anything. As they’re neighbours they won’t be driving so you can provide some nice wine. I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time.

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Aug-26 22:01:27

The company is far more important than the food. The neighbours are coming to see you. Just do something simple and try and relax and enjoy it.

Doodledog Sun 30-Aug-26 22:12:46

Nannytopsy

Cook’s chicken, ham and leek pies are very good and easy to pass off as your own particularly if you get one of their pie dishes too ! ( Shhh!)

Their pie dishes are inspired! OP, if you don't know, they come in serving sizes (2, 4 and 8, I think) and you just put the food in frozen, so properly arranged, heat it up and serve from the dish. They are white and rectangular, so very easy to reuse with your own dishes.

lovethepuppies Sun 30-Aug-26 23:18:38

If you can get away with it in the kind of make up and expectations of the group, I used to sometimes have friends around (we all had lots of kids) and we'd just get fish and chips or pizza delivered. Then we got food and to spend time together without too much work involved.

Wyllow3 Sun 30-Aug-26 23:59:25

pably15

no use worrying over this, a buffet would be lovely, personally I prefer a buffet to a sit down meal at someones house.

I much, much prefer a buffet. Marks and Sparks and a bit of home cooking, pretty napkins..... Some lovely flowers, an unflustered hostess, some low level background classical favourites.....

cornergran Mon 31-Aug-26 00:56:30

I’d opt for a buffet. Somehow I’ve lost confidence in cooking for more than four. My usual approach now is a buffet prepared and refrigerated a good couple of hours before anyone arrives which means I’ve had time to relax a bit. I tend to major on cheeses with crusty bread, a meat platter, salads (bought ) and a mix of (bought from M&S) ) mini fruit tarts plus berries, cream and some sort of chocolate cake. I rarely venture into sandwiches, hard work! Don't fret honeyrose no matter the content a buffet is very acceptable. The important thing is you’re relaxed and can enjoy your neighbours company.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 31-Aug-26 08:12:31

Whatever you decide will be fine.

Just think how you feel when invited to another’s house for a meal.

Your first , second or even third thought isn’t criticism is it😊 - it is - good oh - I’m looking forward to a pleasant evening of chat , with food thrown in.

That is how you should approach it - concentrate on enjoying their company and see the food simply as an add-on.

Enjoy your evening.

Vintagewhine Mon 31-Aug-26 08:18:05

Another fan of Cook. I rarely make a pudding these days as there is a great range to choose from. I'd make a delicious casserole which can be made the day before and reheated. Serve with a green salad and potatoes or rice or even some crusty bread. Don't do a starter just offer olives and quality crisps with the first drinks. Relax and enjoy yourself.

Sillymoo Mon 31-Aug-26 09:16:34

Do you have to have both sets of neighbours together? Would doing it separately and cooking for 4 be less stressful?

Or how about a cheese and wine evening?

Cossy Mon 31-Aug-26 09:28:43

Buffet or even afternoon tea!

Good luck, whatever you do will be lovely and it’s about the company.

Please don’t let it stress you thanks

Sadgrandma Mon 31-Aug-26 10:08:16

Buffet would be fine. Lots of good suggestions here. Alternatively why not buy three ready cooked meals for two such as chicken/ beef casserole, duck legs Roast beef/pork/lamb etc. in M&S or Waitrose. Heat them up beforehand and keep them warm in serving dishes. Accompany with ready prepared veg (M&S also do nice ready prepared frozen roast potatoes . Take everything out of the containers and keep warm before they arrive. You can also buy ready made gravy. Job done and they’ll never know.

Commonground Mon 31-Aug-26 10:26:03

I was rather disappointed when I clicked on this thread. I was looking forward to finding out what is so entertaining about your neighbours!
Mine are all very nice people, but quite dull.
grin

LovesBach Mon 31-Aug-26 10:46:43

I'm another fan of 'Cook'. Their food is good, you could buy just the main course, or the whole works, and take all the pressure off . The fish pie for four is delicious, you could have perhaps two differnt main courses and desserts, and cook vegetables in a steamer.

Yoginimeisje Mon 31-Aug-26 11:04:50

Why don't you confide in your neighbours and ask their advice, they would probably to please to.

Tenko Mon 31-Aug-26 11:15:10

If this is going to be a thing , what not suggest that in future the host provides the main and the other neighbours the starter and dessert . It’s less stress . Several friends of mine do this with their friends and neighbours.

aonk Mon 31-Aug-26 11:40:18

You’ve had a lot of very good advice here.
I often entertain my family and understand the problem with the size of the table. To solve this I lay the table in a formal way and make it look very nice. Then I put out all the food and the plates on my worktop. You could also use a sideboard or any other suitable surface. Everyone serve themselves but sits at the table in the usual way. You can do the same with dessert. I think the suggestions of lasagna or a casserole, homemade or not will help with the stress. If you’re thinking of a starter maybe some simple bought nibbles eaten in the lounge area with drinks.