Gransnet forums

AIBU

Entertaining neighbours

(88 Posts)
honeyrose Sun 30-Aug-26 13:22:50

We’ve been to 2 sets of neighbours houses for a meal over the last year and I feel I ought to ask them back to our house for a meal as a way of reciprocating. Trouble is, I don’t like cooking for people - I get very flustered, tired and I worry that I’m not a good hostess. I just cook for DH and I, but once a year do a family buffet for 9 or 10 people. DH feels that we should reciprocate with the neighbours, but he’s not the one doing the cooking. We only have a small dining table which would seat 6 at a pinch, but I’d have no room to put out dishes of vegetables etc. DH won’t eat anything other than English food and I find that I’m going round in circles and keep putting off inviting them. There would be 6 of us in total. I’ve never cooked a chilli as I know that’s an easy one to share. What do others suggest, please. Would a buffet be acceptable? I’d rather take them all out for a meal, but that would prove to be very expensive if we went anywhere decent. I know I’m making loads of excuses, but it’s bothering me about what to do. I’d rather the neighbours had just invited us round for drinks and nibbles and then it would be easier to invite them back.

honeyrose Tue 01-Sept-26 21:42:15

Some great ideas on here - thanks so much everyone. I too think that a buffet, although perhaps more manageable for me, is awkward when eating it, perched on chairs. I would “like” to get this invitation sent out before Christmas (?!) but I keep putting it off! I’m very relieved that some of you feel just as I do. I thought I was the only one! Hostessing is just not my thing! I’m grateful to you all - I’ll let you know what I decide to do, but as I explained, it won’t be quite yet! I’ve put it off for months as it is! 😩🥴The Cook idea is well worth considering, as is just inviting one couple at a time rather than two couples.

Mojack26 Tue 01-Sept-26 23:23:37

Takeaway or Buffet . Just say you realky don't like cooking but would love to have them round so you thought Takeaway or Buffet which would theyorefet and if Takeaway what kind? I think that would be great

EbbandFlo Tue 01-Sept-26 23:51:01

MollyNew

One of our neighbours is in poor health so one evening for her birthday we were invited round for a fish and chip supper. We phoned in the order and a couple of us collected the food. It was a lovely informal evening.

This is a great idea. Tell everyone in advance that is what you will be serving and there’ll be no expectation of a cordon bleu meal then. Personally, I have no hesitation in admitting to people that I’m not a great cook. Fish and chips would do them a favour!

Seapebble Wed 02-Sept-26 13:57:40

Your DH only likes Brit food- that's very limiting so largely ignore it haha. A roast is way too "everything ready at once" and I would be in a right state. I tend to do one pot things in advance like chili, curry, beef with Guinness etc. However in this case I would forget all that and get some buffet food on the table with reserves for topping up. Posh crisps, olives, all cold so no heating, samosas, grapes, strawberries and watermelon slices - good quality selection of cheese with sourdough bread, nice crackers. Oh and something sweet and indulgent - cake, pudding (I don't like it but lots do and it looks nice on a table).
Go for it or it could be difficult to accept another invitation. Don't skimp on the drinks either and ask them to bring a bottle (if they did at theirs). I have similar fears so that's what I'd do.

ROMILO Wed 02-Sept-26 16:03:01

You mentioned Chilli, M&S do an excellent range of slow cooked meals in sizes for 2 or 4. The chilli is very good. It would be very easy for you to decant into a nice oven to table casserole dish. It takes minutes to heat through, you could lay out microwave rice and crusty rolls and butter on counter top or side table and let everyone help themselves before sitting at your table. Follow up with fresh berries and cream or ice cream then cheese and biscuits. Minimum effort and stress for you, everyone is happy!

eazybee Wed 02-Sept-26 17:59:23

Clear your kitchen surfaces of all but essentials so you have plenty of space to assemble everything.
Choose a meal you can prepare the day before, absolutely everything. Cook or defrost the food you are serving so all you have to do is reheat. Decant food into serving dishes, defrost vegetables, pudding etc, lay the table, cutlery, serving spoons,napkins etc, have glasses and drink laid out in advance, crisps,olives in unopened packets in dishes etc.
Then on the day all you have to do is check everything is in the place it should be; have oven gloves and trays ready, and a List, most important, of times and temperatures and things to do. The more you prepare before the day the more relaxed you will be. You could even practise the meal a couple of weeks before.
And make sure your husband knows what he is expected to do as well !
Don't leave it too long. You might actually find you have a really pleasant time.

MarieElla Wed 02-Sept-26 19:16:10

Eh, this thread reads like a article in Women's Own circa 1952!!
Are men not expected to cook in this day and age!

MayBee70 Wed 02-Sept-26 19:58:40

We used to have a couple of friends we met on holiday over for a meal once a year. We always had an M&S curry followed by one of their trifles. With lots of good wine.

MollyNew Fri 04-Sept-26 20:18:39

MayBee70

We used to have a couple of friends we met on holiday over for a meal once a year. We always had an M&S curry followed by one of their trifles. With lots of good wine.

Whilst I'm sure you didn't pretend this was your own recipe, I can't help thinking about the old advert with June Whitfield where she used to serve a pie to her friends and pass it off as home made!

She was such a great actress and the look on her face as she threw the box in the bin was very funny but I can't remember the brand of pie she was advertising smile

winterwhite Fri 04-Sept-26 22:02:03

I’d go for the slow-cooked casserole made the day before. More relaxing than a buffet. In Oct or Nov sausage and red cabbage would go down very well with no need for extra vegetables. And those baby new potatoes that you can get all the year round.

Lucky neighbours anyway. Good luck.

MarieElla Thu 10-Sept-26 10:35:45

And don't forget to have your DH's slippers and pipe ready when he comes home...

Oreo Thu 10-Sept-26 11:02:19

I find buffets are more difficult to organise and much more expensive than a cooked meal for four or six.
Casseroles and chilli are the easiest things to do.