Gransnet forums

AIBU

Clubcard

(61 Posts)
MT62 Wed 09-Sept-26 17:48:52

I nipped into Tesco’s to buy a few bits, it was bits as well as I couldn’t load up my clubcard.
Service desk was useless as they couldn’t get it up either.
I ended up buying four tins of beans & a loaf that was on offer with club card, was reduced anyway.
Got to the tills & had a little rant, that I couldn’t do a biggish shop as I had no CC.
Why do we have to have these blinking cards anyway. How do the homeless go on if they have no address, or email to get one of these cards.
All the lady could say was ‘well all stores have them’ I said farm foods don’t & they do money off vouchers.
Why don’t these supermarkets just cut the costs so everyone can benefit?
I don’t think I am being unreasonable to think that.
I know I can trapes back to the supermarket with my receipt, but that’s costing me fuel & wear & tear on my car.

Marydoll Thu 10-Sept-26 09:21:29

MT62

Deudits

MT62, it isn't you, it's how many things want a card, an app or a password all at once these days. Jaxjacky's fob on the key ring is the best answer, it's there when the handbag isn't and doesn't care about the signal in the shop. And for the library, the desk can usually reset the PIN in a minute next time you're in.

Yep got them on my keys but only nipped to pick up my car so no keys has hubby had his

I have mine on my keys, but they are falling apart, so won't be much use soon!

Cossy Thu 10-Sept-26 09:28:13

Most shops have a “loyalty” scheme and most supermarkets now do “price matching” to each other.

I get your “gripe” but it’s just another little “reward” for shopping with certain retailers.

We shop with Tesco, one year our vouchers paid for our entire family’s entry fee to Longleat, 9 of us.

Last year I paid towards an easyJet trip to Spain.

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 09:32:15

Deudits

MT62, it isn't you, it's how many things want a card, an app or a password all at once these days. Jaxjacky's fob on the key ring is the best answer, it's there when the handbag isn't and doesn't care about the signal in the shop. And for the library, the desk can usually reset the PIN in a minute next time you're in.

Yes thanks. It’s just I need to try & sort these things out for myself.
I am not very technical.
Last week I went to a mill near us, have an app for that but there the WiFi signal is rubbish. The young girl had me attempt my email three times, it wouldn’t do it. (now normally they will by- pass & just knock off the ten %, not a fortune!
She said we aren’t allowed to now. So said to ask the older lady next her
to sort it out. At least she she had the sense to realise I had the app & by passed the app to give me my 10%.
By this time a queue had formed, but then suddenly a few piped up they were having the same problem 🙄 so didn’t feel too embarrassed.

Elless Thu 10-Sept-26 09:40:07

The Asda rewards are very small but if you check their cashpot missions they can be very beneficial. I did a £60 online shop in September and received £20 back in my cashpot 🙂

OldFrill Thu 10-Sept-26 09:47:55

If you save loyalty cards to Google wallet you do not need a phone signal to use them.

You can also use your debit card temporarily without a signal.

Assume there's an Apple equivalent.

Thank you Petra, aware of data sharing.

OldFrill Thu 10-Sept-26 09:49:01

* that's if you save your debit card in Google wallet.

TheWeirdoAgain60 Thu 10-Sept-26 10:04:07

The only rewards/club card I have is Spar. The points go on easily enough, but I had a big deal of trying to load it onto my phone for registration, as it had all kinds of countries to register with but not England! I tried the nearest one, Ireland, but that wouldn't accept my postcode being a different place, so in the end I had to call the manager out of her office, and she sorted it.

Then, when I went to redeem some points, the system wouldn't let me get into my account on my phone, stating it's the wrong username/password/email even though they're the ones I registered with! I went back to the manager, apologising and asking her to sort it. I gave her my password, username and email, and she couldn't get in either after 3 tries! So now, I still pass my card over but just let the points build up, as it's impossible for me or the manager to get into the account!

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 10:09:10

TheWeirdoAgain60

The only rewards/club card I have is Spar. The points go on easily enough, but I had a big deal of trying to load it onto my phone for registration, as it had all kinds of countries to register with but not England! I tried the nearest one, Ireland, but that wouldn't accept my postcode being a different place, so in the end I had to call the manager out of her office, and she sorted it.

Then, when I went to redeem some points, the system wouldn't let me get into my account on my phone, stating it's the wrong username/password/email even though they're the ones I registered with! I went back to the manager, apologising and asking her to sort it. I gave her my password, username and email, and she couldn't get in either after 3 tries! So now, I still pass my card over but just let the points build up, as it's impossible for me or the manager to get into the account!

That’s what I had wrong email, or password. Even though I have had the same account for years.
They kept saying ‘oh it’s been hacked’.
Anyway husband has sorted it. Now in my wallet, along with all my many loyalty cards.

Dickens Thu 10-Sept-26 11:24:15

Sago

Cards are not about the customer they are all about data.

The companies use the data to profile their customers and use the information to attract more business.

Customer's data is very important to supermarkets (and other businesses), your information is financially beneficial to them.

When they - and others like Amazon - ask for reviews and details of your shopping 'experience', we are giving it freely (that's if we bother at all of course).

How many times have you been asked to write a 'review'. told it will only take a few minutes?

I once told Tesco that if they wanted me to 'take a few minutes' to let them know "how did we do today", they would have to reward me financially (maybe via a discount) because Information is money. They purchase it from other sources, so we should also be paid for it.

labazs Thu 10-Sept-26 13:56:31

if you go into shops it is a pain
luckily if you do online shopping stores like Co-op Tesco Asda etc store the card and apply the discounts automatically

Outcast52 Thu 10-Sept-26 14:19:38

MT62

twiglet77

I think Aldi is the only supermarket that doesn’t have a loyalty scheme.

OP asks why we have to have them. The simple answer is that we don’t “have to”, no customer is obliged to join any loyalty scheme, for groceries, fuel or anything else.

Yes I appreciate we don’t have to have one, but I don’t want to be paying top wack for my groceries.
More & more products are being added to ‘save with club card’.
I just feel sorry for the homeless who don’t have emails, or addresses to have one of these loyalty cards.
When I shop at Sainsburys I pass on my card so that the person in front can save a few quid, if they don’t have a card.

I think these offers are personalised to one's individual club card account, so offering your card for someone else to use may not benefit them at all?

HobbyCat Thu 10-Sept-26 14:28:40

The whole point of the Club Card price is to encourage people to have one. If there was no CC the items would be the original price. Homeless people probably wouldn’t be buying £6.50 butter.

Geordiegirl1 Thu 10-Sept-26 16:18:47

I wish Marks would do a Clubcard! That silly Sparks depends on the customer doing all the work to find ‘offers’, many of which I don’t want.

cc Thu 10-Sept-26 16:34:36

I agree about the Sparks, I never seem to get anything back at all. And I often find that I need to insert rather than tap my credit card or it won't work.

The Tesco offers don't seem much use to me, the prices without the Clubcard seem artificially high so you don't save that much. I very rarely bother to shop in Tesco now.
Same goes for Morrisons, I have very rarely had the "Fiver" back and the price reductions are small.

I used to shop more in Waitrose, but don't find that their on-line service has the same variety of products as Ocado. Their "Little Treats" are just useless for me and the offers, when they appear on my account, are often not in stock instore or online.

I like the convenience of shopping online with Ocado, no lugging bags about and I can edit the list all week until it is delivered. I don't care that I don't get the very small number of points back or so-called special offers that the other supermarkets offer.

Babsbada Thu 10-Sept-26 16:57:59

What is Jaxjacky? I've never heard of it

leeds22 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:02:27

I sometimes have problems loading up my Tesco CC but you can always get your missed savings reimbursed later by taking the receipt to customer services when your card is working.

jocork Thu 10-Sept-26 17:12:09

The reason supermarkets want us to have loyalty cards is so they track our spending and target their advertising to what they know are our interests. The nectar card (Sainsbury's) gives customers personalised offers as well as general nectar offers. These save me loads of money especially if I can combine the 'My nectar' price offer with an extra points offer.

I usually pay at self service tills in Tesco but one day I'd bought alcohol so went to a manned checkout so it was quicker to verify my age. The 2 customers before me didn't have club cards and the assistant asked if I wanted to scan mine. I ended up with over £2 worth of points - one customer had a huge trolley full - and the customers would have saved some money too. I wonder if Tesco employees are supposed to do that? It is obviously costing them money without them benefitting from the data they collect. However I was very happy to receive the bonus! As they say 'Every little helps'!

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:26:52

Cossy

Most shops have a “loyalty” scheme and most supermarkets now do “price matching” to each other.

I get your “gripe” but it’s just another little “reward” for shopping with certain retailers.

We shop with Tesco, one year our vouchers paid for our entire family’s entry fee to Longleat, 9 of us.

Last year I paid towards an easyJet trip to Spain.

That is good 👍🏻
I tend to shop at different places. Not really loyal to any supermarket, especially not since Covid. I think Tesco’s became greedy.

petra Thu 10-Sept-26 17:27:07

Outcast52
That’s exactly how it works. They are not going to give you a discount on dogs biscuits if you’ve never bought them.
The really spooky one is the tech that tracks how long you look at a product 🫨

jocork Thu 10-Sept-26 17:27:27

Dickens

Sago

Cards are not about the customer they are all about data.

The companies use the data to profile their customers and use the information to attract more business.

Customer's data is very important to supermarkets (and other businesses), your information is financially beneficial to them.

When they - and others like Amazon - ask for reviews and details of your shopping 'experience', we are giving it freely (that's if we bother at all of course).

How many times have you been asked to write a 'review'. told it will only take a few minutes?

I once told Tesco that if they wanted me to 'take a few minutes' to let them know "how did we do today", they would have to reward me financially (maybe via a discount) because Information is money. They purchase it from other sources, so we should also be paid for it.

I sometimes get phone calls asking me to answer some 'houshold questions' - ie a survey! I say "I don't answer surveys over the phone!" Why would I? If I answer surveys online I get extra points on my account or maybe entered in a draw. Over the phone they are just harvesting data for free!

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:28:49

leeds22

I sometimes have problems loading up my Tesco CC but you can always get your missed savings reimbursed later by taking the receipt to customer services when your card is working.

I know but it’s at the other end of town which I like to avoid.
So that’s petrol & wear & tear on my car as the roads are terrible.

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:35:28

The couple I offered my card to, saved £8.00 as she said oh thanks you have saved me £8.
They also got a five pound off voucher, the person serving told them to hand it to me 😳 but I told them to take it as I was going away & didn’t need it.

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:37:13

MT62

The couple I offered my card to, saved £8.00 as she said oh thanks you have saved me £8.
They also got a five pound off voucher, the person serving told them to hand it to me 😳 but I told them to take it as I was going away & didn’t need it.

Sorry that was an answer to outcast52.

win Thu 10-Sept-26 17:43:52

MT62

I nipped into Tesco’s to buy a few bits, it was bits as well as I couldn’t load up my clubcard.
Service desk was useless as they couldn’t get it up either.
I ended up buying four tins of beans & a loaf that was on offer with club card, was reduced anyway.
Got to the tills & had a little rant, that I couldn’t do a biggish shop as I had no CC.
Why do we have to have these blinking cards anyway. How do the homeless go on if they have no address, or email to get one of these cards.
All the lady could say was ‘well all stores have them’ I said farm foods don’t & they do money off vouchers.
Why don’t these supermarkets just cut the costs so everyone can benefit?
I don’t think I am being unreasonable to think that.
I know I can trapes back to the supermarket with my receipt, but that’s costing me fuel & wear & tear on my car.

Do you mean the loaf was reduced without using your club card so a general discount rather than due to being a member.? once you have registered your club card you just scan it as a credit card before you pay, so not quite sure what you mean. However the club card discount is only applied once you scan your club card at checkout, so it is essential to have that on you or on your app. to get the discounts. The points are brilliant too and you can double up and buy loads of different things with them from the partners. I always save mine for online flowers which I have delivered to friends for their birthdays. Big saving.

win Thu 10-Sept-26 17:45:54

MT62

I nipped into Tesco’s to buy a few bits, it was bits as well as I couldn’t load up my clubcard.
Service desk was useless as they couldn’t get it up either.
I ended up buying four tins of beans & a loaf that was on offer with club card, was reduced anyway.
Got to the tills & had a little rant, that I couldn’t do a biggish shop as I had no CC.
Why do we have to have these blinking cards anyway. How do the homeless go on if they have no address, or email to get one of these cards.
All the lady could say was ‘well all stores have them’ I said farm foods don’t & they do money off vouchers.
Why don’t these supermarkets just cut the costs so everyone can benefit?
I don’t think I am being unreasonable to think that.
I know I can trapes back to the supermarket with my receipt, but that’s costing me fuel & wear & tear on my car.

You could always have a all in one Tesco credit card and club card like I have, makes it much easier and you get points on everything by using it as a credit card outside Tesco too.