What’s with all the EU flags? were the BBC handing them out? We voted as a democracy to leave the EU! The proms is all about being British!
Are terrorist causes ever right?
Write a word that begins with the first letter of the user above you
What’s with all the EU flags? were the BBC handing them out? We voted as a democracy to leave the EU! The proms is all about being British!
Oh, come on! they have just had all the UK classics, since you posted, with huge UK flags. Land of hope and glory, et al.
It was a lovely warm and funny night, ending with Auld Aquaintance and 'nine to five"
I'm comfy with those flags.
Totally
We are a part of Europe after all our origins are from Europe going back to Saxons and Vikings and French, and always have been, and our royal family intertwined through Europe,
people considering it really important to make "the grand tour" culturally for books and opera and other music, indeed much of the music in the proms is European and has always been so. Shakespeare is admired all over Europe for example and they all learn English as their second language!
and its a crying shame our young people can't cross borders like they used to in order to take part in a changing world and enhance our international business and financial well being.
The EU flags are there every year. They are nothing to do with the BBC. Hildagard may think that the referendum was a democratic vote, but it was a referendum and as such should have been used as a basis for discussion. And the majority was far from meaningful.
Why did the pianist wear shoes with very high heels? She could have had a bad accident? Holding on to the piano to keep her balance was alarming.
The tenor’s voice seemed rather flat and lacked emotion and he couldn’t resist advertising could he?
The EU berets looked a bit silly…. Some of the music really was a bit modern for the Proms? Feeling our age ….
It's always a deliberate "mixed bag", the last night, isn't it?
It's just part of our national culture big time and I'm prepared for some stuff not for me. the atmosphere is so great.
Personally, I don't separate being Brit and enjoying the Beeb. Long live the Beeb.
I enjoyed every minute of the last night. In fact I've listened and watched many more of this year's Promenade Concerts than I usually do and the only one I didn't really enjoy was the Disney Prom.
I'm sorry that the season is over.
Nicky Spence is a superb classical singer with a sense of humour.
I enjoyed most of it, apart from the Dolly Parton bit, which was very out of place in a classical concert.
Well I didn’t like him, his voice, his black nails or his presentation. His Scottish Medley was a travesty and Nessun Dorma out of doors gimmicky and underwhelming.
I found tonight a bit of a damp squib, a sort of Last Night Lite ( or even lighter) and something I find I no longer have any desire to attend in person. ☹️☹️☹️
I used to love the proms, wish they had it here. We have a ‘version’ with the Welsh male voice choir, waving (British) flags around etc but it isn’t nearly as good! Im going green with envy.
💚
I eventually watched the last night of the proms yesterday and I have to agree with you MawsRosie, Nicky Spence's performance was not what I expected of an opera singer.
When he pulled his kilt open to display the flag I was shocked, not the time or the place.
🙄
harrigran
I eventually watched the last night of the proms yesterday and I have to agree with you MawsRosie, Nicky Spence's performance was not what I expected of an opera singer.
When he pulled his kilt open to display the flag I was shocked, not the time or the place.
He didn't "pull his kilt open" at all. Your imagination was just optimistic.
I thought it appropriately amusing. 😊
Deedaa
The EU flags are there every year. They are nothing to do with the BBC. Hildagard may think that the referendum was a democratic vote, but it was a referendum and as such should have been used as a basis for discussion. And the majority was far from meaningful.
Exactly so, a basis for discussion, not a flouncing-out cutting off our noses to spite our faces. Many voters thought the referendum was an opinion poll, not a hard-&-fast political decision-making tool. That's one of the main reasons why the Leave vote won - most of us thought we could show the government how dissatisfied we were about things like loony health & safety rules, the size of sausages, etc., and they'd be shamed into representing us better. We wuz fooled.
harrigran
I eventually watched the last night of the proms yesterday and I have to agree with you MawsRosie, Nicky Spence's performance was not what I expected of an opera singer.
When he pulled his kilt open to display the flag I was shocked, not the time or the place.
Opera singers are just people, you know, not necessarily grand and aloof.
I did’t watch all of it, what I did see appealed and often made me smile, not something that’s happen in previous years.
I’m glad to see the appeal widening from the previous aura of exclusivity and pomp, great for future generations support when we’re long gone.
Grandma70s
harrigran
I eventually watched the last night of the proms yesterday and I have to agree with you MawsRosie, Nicky Spence's performance was not what I expected of an opera singer.
When he pulled his kilt open to display the flag I was shocked, not the time or the place.Opera singers are just people, you know, not necessarily grand and aloof.
Who ever suggested they were grand and aloof
Gimmicky, however and in questionable taste- that’s another matter. Especially when not particularly funny, unless you subscribe to the Benny Hill school of wit and wisdom
My daughter was there and thought it was wonderful. We’re all going next year 🤞
I’m with Maws Rosie here . Yes questionable taste of Nicky Spence and disappointed that Gareth Malone was saying what a comedian this chap was. I thought he was rubbish as a comedian and should have kept to dialogue produced by others. Ok when his dialogue was by Puccini. I dislike snippets of things and I enjoy Dolly Parton and watched because I’m a believer in books for children so watched for that. DH said they have Jupiter every year but as he normally refuses to have the last night on I don’t know how he knows. It’s the first time I’ve listened to it in many years and he trotted off to bed. The Louboutin shoes are supposed to be that pianists trademark . I found both her pieces heavy going.ah well I hope I’ll be here for next year's .😁
We didn’t all vote to jleave the EU. Please speak for yourself!
Wyllow3
Oh, come on! they have just had all the UK classics, since you posted, with huge UK flags. Land of hope and glory, et al.
It was a lovely warm and funny night, ending with Auld Aquaintance and 'nine to five"
I'm comfy with those flags.
Totally
We are a part of Europe after all our origins are from Europe going back to Saxons and Vikings and French, and always have been, and our royal family intertwined through Europe,
people considering it really important to make "the grand tour" culturally for books and opera and other music, indeed much of the music in the proms is European and has always been so. Shakespeare is admired all over Europe for example and they all learn English as their second language!
and its a crying shame our young people can't cross borders like they used to in order to take part in a changing world and enhance our international business and financial well being.
Hear hear!
It’s Auld Lang Syne not Auld Acquaintance 🤣🤣🤣
For Hildagard ("all about being British") -- in which case, just WHY, for many decades, have they been playing pieces by Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Chopin, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Wagner, Strauss, Vivaldi and many, many other FOREIGNERS?! Quite a risk for you to tune in at all?!
And that Brexit vote, was by a whisker, since then umpteen polls have said that's it now regarded as a rotten, ill-advised idea?
PS - isn't your name a bit, well, foreign-looking for such a patriotic soul?! Apparently it's of Germanic origin, dear dear . . . . .
Outmoded, antiquated, silly and probably costs a fortune to stage.
A relic of a London Centric, South Coast, British Empire Culture that still reeks of class.
I have watched some quite good prom concerts this season.
But the last night Concert is really about the BBC preening it's own self importance. Hopefully, not for much longer at the the rate it is losing Licence Payers
Yes and l do pay my licence fee and have done for the last 40 years.
Dr Watson, you are totally missing the point and as for mentioning my name! It is not my real name a nickname!
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.