Gransnet forums

AIBU

Last night of the Proms

(42 Posts)
Hildagard Sat 12-Sept-26 22:44:21

What’s with all the EU flags? were the BBC handing them out? We voted as a democracy to leave the EU! The proms is all about being British!

Hildagard Tue 15-Sept-26 17:32:06

Dr Watson,
Further to the above your memory seems in accurate as we voted to leave by a significant margin. In any event former Lib Dem leader Paddy Ashdown declared after the referendum that a majority of one is still a majority! The proms all music but the Last Night is almost entirely about British music and the Union flag waving is part of that. How do so many EU flags turn up on the night? I and many others would like to know.

Emeraldforest Tue 15-Sept-26 17:35:34

I love the Last night of the proms,It's probably the only time I feel comfortable with flag waving even if it's a bit ironic.Personally I'm still very sad about leaving the EU and consider my house part of it still so I'm all for waving that flag toowink

win Tue 15-Sept-26 17:38:19

harrigran

I eventually watched the last night of the proms yesterday and I have to agree with you MawsRosie, Nicky Spence's performance was not what I expected of an opera singer.
When he pulled his kilt open to display the flag I was shocked, not the time or the place.

Dear me this is 1926 for goodness sake

Estrellita Tue 15-Sept-26 17:40:37

DrWatson

For Hildagard ("all about being British") -- in which case, just WHY, for many decades, have they been playing pieces by Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Chopin, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Wagner, Strauss, Vivaldi and many, many other FOREIGNERS?! Quite a risk for you to tune in at all?!

And that Brexit vote, was by a whisker, since then umpteen polls have said that's it now regarded as a rotten, ill-advised idea?

PS - isn't your name a bit, well, foreign-looking for such a patriotic soul?! Apparently it's of Germanic origin, dear dear . . . . .

Exactly what I thought!

Aely Tue 15-Sept-26 17:43:39

I watched the "traditional" bit live but having recorded the programme I watched the earlier pieces later and was not enthralled by the piano music although mesmerised by the speed of her fingers.

I didn't think there were nearly as many EU flags as in some previous years.

As to the Tenor's kilt manipulation, as he started fiddling with it the camera suddenly zoomed back - and didn't return until it was obvious what he had pulled out, although even then I couldn't see exactly what it was. It just looked multicoloured and shiny. However, my TV is small compared to many, in line with the diminutive size of my living room.

The promenaders didn't seem as lively as usual.

Dickens Tue 15-Sept-26 18:46:30

Hildagard

Dr Watson,
Further to the above your memory seems in accurate as we voted to leave by a significant margin. In any event former Lib Dem leader Paddy Ashdown declared after the referendum that a majority of one is still a majority! The proms all music but the Last Night is almost entirely about British music and the Union flag waving is part of that. How do so many EU flags turn up on the night? I and many others would like to know.

The proms all music but the Last Night is almost entirely about British music and the Union flag waving is part of that. How do so many EU flags turn up on the night? I and many others would like to know.

... it's undoubtedly a conspiracy to persuade us to re-join grin

I've always noticed a smattering of EU flags - does it really matter?

I don't understand what the Brexit vote has to do with this?

Olivebranch Tue 15-Sept-26 21:29:52

I also think singing the most patriotic English songs while waving EU flags is contradictory.
Must be plenty of London middle class remainers.

Wyllow3 Tue 15-Sept-26 21:37:39

Oh no, here we go again, "Islington woke latte drinkers" 🙄

tavini444 Tue 15-Sept-26 22:06:55

Seeing a sea of EU flags at an event meant to celebrate British culture always triggers heated debates about Brexit. Hard to avoid polarization on that topic.

Dickens Wed 16-Sept-26 02:30:28

tavini444

Seeing a sea of EU flags at an event meant to celebrate British culture always triggers heated debates about Brexit. Hard to avoid polarization on that topic.

I guess so.

I see it as a sign that people express their love for the country in different ways. To me, wishing for a strong economy through European partnerships doesn't make anyone less patriotic. That said, the EU flags were definitely making a pointed statement this year... but the Proms has always had a bit of a theatrical, flag-waving spirit!

londonjake Wed 16-Sept-26 02:41:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Sleepyhead52 Wed 16-Sept-26 09:13:53

Wow! Such vitriol! It's a music event (I never watch it - goes on for too long!) so please resist politicising it. Some people can't leave the referendum alone! If anyone thought it was a suggestion rather than a vote they weren't 'listening'!

GeorgeKirrin Wed 16-Sept-26 09:57:33

There is an organised group who stand outside the Albert Hall every year handing out EU flags and hats. I found it strangely flat this year andvits become a bit of a parody of itself
Every year I also question their choice of song for the Welsh representation- there are so many rousing Welsh songs they could have chosen, not least the National Anthem

OldFrill Wed 16-Sept-26 11:18:41

I thought it lacked atmosphere, not sure if that was down to the conductor who didn't seem as charismatic as some. I did enjoy the return of Kenneth McKellar, he should have his own show.

MawsRosie Wed 16-Sept-26 11:33:59

Kenneth McKellar?

He's been dead since 2010 hasn't he?

Dickens Wed 16-Sept-26 12:02:27

GeorgeKirrin

There is an organised group who stand outside the Albert Hall every year handing out EU flags and hats. I found it strangely flat this year andvits become a bit of a parody of itself
Every year I also question their choice of song for the Welsh representation- there are so many rousing Welsh songs they could have chosen, not least the National Anthem

... I also question their choice of song for the Welsh representation- there are so many rousing Welsh songs they could have chosen, not least the National Anthem

Have to say that anthem is particularly rousing - I love it and I don't think I have a drop of 'Welsh blood' in me!

I'm also quite moved when I hear the haunting "Myfanwy" - but have been told that's because of my age and that it is now considered "corny". However, since I first heard it as a teenager, and loved it instantly... but maybe some do consider it clichéd?

Didn't watch all of the Proms this year, but I also found the bits I did watch a tad disappointing but haven't really analysed why.

As for the group handing out EU flags 'n hats, well no one is compelled to take them.

I think that, sometimes, when a traditional 'event' (of any description) attempts to remain relevant, 'update itself' - or appeal to a 'wider audience', it can backfire, and not please anyone. Whether this is the case here I don't know, but I found some parts a bit flat.

On the subject of 'anthems' - my late partner said this one sounded like an operatic chorus. Its grandiose, driving instrumental introduction could easily be attributed to Rossini/Verdi or Donizetti. The reason why we even heard it was because we used to watch Formula 1 racing... I really like it.
youtu.be/SyyOahYXhUQ