Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour’s party

(99 Posts)
Bankhurst Sat 06-Aug-22 17:44:49

Our next-door-but-one neighbours, whom we hardly know, have put a note through our door to say they are having a party in the garden in two weeks. It will be until 1am and they apologise in advance for ‘the music, the cars and the noise’. I think it’s an imposition, my daughter will be staying that night before a long drive the next day and it’s a quiet road where all lights seem to be out by 10.30. DH says to say nothing - it reminds him of his youth. He’s 79! AIBU to ask them to stop at 11, or 12 as a compromise?

SueDonim Sat 06-Aug-22 17:48:21

Do they have such parties often? If it’s a one-off, then say nothing if you want to maintain a good relationship. 1am isn’t that late for a party to finish and they’ve been courteous in letting you know. Your dd can always use earplugs.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Aug-22 17:55:36

It was good of them to late neighbours know in advance. If it is not a common occurrence I wouldn’t say anything.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Aug-22 17:55:55

Aargh… late should be let

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Aug-22 18:03:36

I think your neighbours have been very thoughtful in letting you know well in advance about the party - some would not bother. If it’s a rare occurrence, I’d let it be. If it’s a regular occurrence, then perhaps a word with them might be appropriate. From what you say though, it sounds as if it’s the former.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 06-Aug-22 18:07:43

You never know, it might rain and the party will have to move inside... ☔️

Riverwalk Sat 06-Aug-22 18:22:07

Yes, you are being unreasonable!

I think it's very considerate of your neighbours to let you know in advance.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Aug-22 18:29:10

You ask AIBU,yes you are. They sound like very nice neighbours.

GrannySomerset Sat 06-Aug-22 18:29:18

All this fuss about one party about which you have been warned? Let it go!

Harris27 Sat 06-Aug-22 18:29:34

Look,let live and let live. I agree they’ve let you know and if it’s not every week I’d let it go.

eazybee Sat 06-Aug-22 18:32:51

Of course you can't say anything. 1am. is not unreasonable and they have informed you and apologised in advance, and they are not even the house next door. Do you seriously expect them to lop two hours off a party because your daughter has a long drive the next day?

rafichagran Sat 06-Aug-22 18:34:44

Let it go, you really cannot ask them to compromise because you daughter is staying. I would think you had a cheek.
They have let you know and I think that is nice.

Septimia Sat 06-Aug-22 18:35:35

Like others, I think it's good of them to let you know. You can hardly expect them to change their arrangements, possibly for a special occasion, just because your daughter is staying (and how would they know that?).

It is inconvenient for you, of course, but it's just a regrettable coincidence. Maybe it would be worthwhile investing in some earplugs, for your daughter at least!

HowVeryDareYou Sat 06-Aug-22 18:36:30

You're being really unreasonable. They're having one party and have been good enough to tell you well in advance. Your daughter can wear earplugs for one night, surely?

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-22 18:38:41

I m sorry but yes you are being unreasonable and your husband is quite right leave it They have been considerate in letting you know It’s not their fault your daughter is travelling the next day perhaps she’d be better off not visiting that evening
If they were having parties every week I d back you but a one off with notification is perfectly reasonable

Aldom Sat 06-Aug-22 18:50:58

Boots the chemist sell three pairs of earplugs for £4.99.
The party is absolutely not something to get worked up about.
I'd put a note through your neighbours door, thanking them for their thoughtfulness and wishing them a happy evening. It may be a special occasion in their lives for all you know.

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-Aug-22 18:55:08

Be pleased they realise it may be annoying - so many wouldn't bother to tell you.
I suggest some earplugs as others have said.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Aug-22 18:56:12

Yes, you’re being unreasonable, as others have said a one off and thoughtful to let you know.

annodomini Sat 06-Aug-22 19:04:15

How lucky you are to have such considerate neighbours.

TerriBull Sat 06-Aug-22 19:15:43

Where I used to live next door had the occasional summer party that went on until 5 am ish, they would let us know in advance. We were friendly with the couple in question, in particular, he, was such a top guy and great neighbour in every other way, we let it go. The parties were infrequent and I wouldn't wanted to have damaged our relationship with either of them because of that, but actually if people around want to do a summer party and there's a bit of noise involved as long as it's not threatening I don't care that much. I suppose I might have felt a bit different if I had say very young children.

Hithere Sat 06-Aug-22 19:19:24

How considerate of your neighbours!

Your dd will be ok.
If this is an issue for her, she has plenty of time to make other arrangements

Lucca Sat 06-Aug-22 19:20:02

In the words of John McEnroe “ you cannot be serious “
In fact I doubt this is a genuine OP! Asking neighbours to finish their party early ?????

Fleurpepper Sat 06-Aug-22 19:37:33

Agree with most above. If it was a regular occurrence, then that would be different. A one off with fair warning- let it go.

Zoejory Sat 06-Aug-22 19:43:44

Very kind of them to warn you.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 06-Aug-22 19:45:58

YYABU

Very nice neighbours to give you advance warning.

Pity they didn’t invite you as well though!