Gransnet forums

AIBU

Husband doesn’t stop talking…

(78 Posts)
Lottidot Mon 08-Apr-24 22:08:20

My DH and I retired 8 months ago and I am finding his non-stop talking hard to deal with. I’ve tried to tell him his interests in some of his subjects do not interest me, but that does not deter him. Admittedly, I do now tend to tune out, but am I being unreasonable when, sometimes, I just want to say “stop talking”?

keepingquiet Mon 08-Apr-24 22:24:39

This is a tough one, My BIL is like this- they don't get the signals that we have and will just carry on. They are unaware and will probably carry on talking when you've walked away.

I would put in earphones and just carry on with what you are doing in peace.

If comments are made just say I'm sorry but I need some quiet- don't make it about him. You will either hurt his feelings or it will have no effect.

It must be very wearing so I feel for you.

MayBee70 Tue 09-Apr-24 02:59:18

No, you’re not being unreasonable. If I’m quiet my partner will say ‘you’re quiet’ and I have to point out that sometimes I just want to be quiet. He doesn’t understand because he wants us to have endless conversations. It’s actually driving me mad.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Apr-24 04:09:17

Is this the first time you have spent so much time together? Are there any other people in his life for him to chat to?

Maybe his "friendship" circle has suddenly shrunk to only you?
Can he get out and about a bit more?

Bellasnana Tue 09-Apr-24 04:17:36

Be careful what you wish for. I’d give anything to hear my DH’s voice again. Even if he talked non-stop it would be preferable to the silence I have had to endure for almost nine years.😞

Whiff Tue 09-Apr-24 05:37:33

Bellasnana been 20 years for me without my husband. We have no videos or anything with his voice. The moment he died I lost hearing him. Woman who moan about husband's and partners talking to much don't know how lucky they are . And one day they will regret ever moaning about their loved one talking to much. As not hearing my husband go on about handles rails, raisers ,or clerk of works or cows as he called them didn't interest me but then again things I talked about didn't interest him . But we listen to eachother because that's what you do when you love someone.

Those who are lucky enough to still have the love of your lives just be grateful . As some liked me their lives died. And some people still have the love of their lives but through illness their loved one can't speak or communicate in anyway.

I know the OP started this as a light hearted thread but you don't know what a precious gift you have to still hear your loved one talking.

Curtaintwitcher Tue 09-Apr-24 07:10:54

My husband was the same. I took to going upstairs and sitting in the bedroom. When he asked why I told him I couldn't put up with the constant empty chatter. He didn't stop but he did make an effort not to talk quite so much.
The problem is, people like this don't actually want a conversation, they just want an audience.

kittylester Tue 09-Apr-24 07:24:55

I'm not sure that it's about wanting an audience rather getting their thoughts in order. I have a daughter who does it. Luckily she doesn't live here.

MamaSB Tue 09-Apr-24 07:27:45

My husband doesn't chatter constantly. However, I can guarantee that as soon as I start to read he will suddenly feel the need to continually chat. Why? He even apologises for interrupting my reading, and then continually interrupts on & off until I give up. Then, of course, his sudden need to chat disappears. And I don't actually think he's doing it deliberately, strangely enough.

zakouma66 Tue 09-Apr-24 07:28:30

I honestly don't think its helpful to guilt trip people with some sort of grief olympics.

Retirement can bring challenges as can loss.

SusiK Tue 09-Apr-24 07:31:34

zakouma66

I honestly don't think its helpful to guilt trip people with some sort of grief olympics.

You expressed that well. My husband died 5 years ago and I miss him all the time, but I can still sympathise with people whose partners have irritating habits.

Katie59 Tue 09-Apr-24 07:36:28

My brother does that can talk and breathe at the same time, but not as bad a cousin Alice she literally never stops, it must be very wearing living with someone like that.

V3ra Tue 09-Apr-24 07:49:21

The problem is, people like this don't actually want a conversation, they just want an audience.

This is my mother-in-law.
She was in a care home for a short stay.
We went to visit, and took my Dad as they're good friends. She talked non-stop for two hours before she even said hello to him!

Ashcombe Tue 09-Apr-24 07:51:15

Everyone wants different things from their marriage. In my first marriage, my husband became increasingly withdrawn and uncommunicative. I tried everything to improve matters but to no avail.

One of the characteristics I love about DH is that he is a great talker. In fact, we both are but it seems to work. Even when we're apart we Zoom on a daily basis and exchange texts frequently.

Oldnproud Tue 09-Apr-24 07:54:32

zakouma66

Thank you for saying this, and so tactfully.

Poppyred Tue 09-Apr-24 08:23:26

zakouma66

It happens every time! Usually the same old culprits…..please give it a rest. 🙄

RunaroundSue Tue 09-Apr-24 08:26:47

Oh how I wish I could hear by late husband's voice again. I cannot understand how people who are still lucky enough to have their husband's by their side complain about them. One of these days, when their home is silent, they will understand the devastation of losing the one person that hopefully they loved more than life itself has died.

Gingster Tue 09-Apr-24 08:28:59

My Dh is the strong silent type. I’d love him to chat more, especially in company. Being deaf (and not wearing his hearing aids) has exacerbated this.

lixy Tue 09-Apr-24 08:31:00

May be he's lonely? For some people a dog is a great companion, a good way to get to chat with other people, and he would need to go out for walks. Just a thought.

zakouma66 good post, thanks.

M0nica Tue 09-Apr-24 08:33:10

Constant chatter is one of the symptoms of ADHD. You should see this problem in the context of this problem and consider whether this is why he talks constantly.

GrannySomerset Tue 09-Apr-24 08:33:36

Now I live alone I am aware that I talk too much in company because I miss the to and fro of daily conversations about trivia and important issues. I have to work quite hard at not become someone who dominates the conversation.

Luckygirl3 Tue 09-Apr-24 08:33:45

I am widowed, but can understand that OH's can have irritating habits, just as we can. I am happy for those who are dealing with these habits to vent on here and to seek ideas for dealing with it, whilst also regretting the loss of my OH.

MissInterpreted Tue 09-Apr-24 08:49:08

zakouma66

I agree. I love my husband dearly, but some of us have a real time for quietness at times. It doesn't mean we don't care for our partners or don't want to have conversations with them.

RosiesMaw Tue 09-Apr-24 09:08:12

Duct tape?

Oreo Tue 09-Apr-24 09:16:00

SusiK

zakouma66

You expressed that well. My husband died 5 years ago and I miss him all the time, but I can still sympathise with people whose partners have irritating habits.

I agree with you.Anyone who dare have a bit of a moan about a DH or DP is often faced with a guilt trip.No life partners, either living or dead are or were saints.