Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pegging rugscanvas

(31 Posts)
numberplease Sun 07-Aug-11 23:04:45

Not knitting, I know, but didn`t know where to put it. The art of rug pegging seems to be dying out now. I`ve never tried it, but often wanted to, but not with the fancy kits that are sometimes advertised for sale, I`d like to try the way my mother did it. She`d save all old clothes in a massive bag, then when she had enough, she`d spend ages cutting them all up into strips, then she`d have a large canvas?, maybe hessian? stretched across a frame, and she`d spend hours every night with half a wooden clothes peg, making rugs. We never ever had a bought rug in our house!

greenmossgiel Wed 23-Nov-11 09:51:33

trixI bought my book on Amazon. You'd need to check out ebay for yourself to see what you'd like to use. FlicketyB, I just weeded through my own old stuff which wasn't good enough to go to the charity shop - found loads...says a lot about the state of my wardrobe! blush

FlicketyB Wed 23-Nov-11 07:55:22

Charity shops may be a good source of raw materials. Not all the clothes they get are good enough to sell, they might be prepared to sell clothes that would otherwise go for scrap for a small sum.

trix Wed 23-Nov-11 03:04:23

Message deleted by Gransnet.

trix Wed 23-Nov-11 03:03:28

Message deleted by Gransnet.

greenmossgiel Mon 14-Nov-11 22:41:53

I started working on my rug about 2 months ago, and I've done about 2 inches! I'm determined to get cracking with it again when I've finished the Christmas cardigan I'm knitting for my granddaughter...grin

grannydjs Mon 14-Nov-11 22:27:00

Rag rugs or proggy mats as they were called in my corner of the world were a common sight in houses. You were considered very well off if you had proper carpet. My grandmother constantly had a mat part done in the frames and if you lingered too long when visiting you got a mat hook in one hand and a bundle of rags in the other and pointed in the direction of the mat frame. I always became very absorbed in the process and never complained about having to do it (would never have dared anyway). I remember once my mother had just finished a proggy mat, a big one, and laid it out on the lawn in the garden to flatten it out one morning before I went to school. At lunchtime I came home for dinner and asked what she had done with the rug as it was not in the garden, only a big square of hessian. (We had geese at the time and they usually kept themselves to themselves at the bottom of the garden). My mother let out a yelp and ran to the back door and you can guess the rest, they had unpicked the mat completely and eaten quite a bit. Needless to say we had goose for Sunday lunch that week!
Happy days!!

greenmossgiel Wed 07-Sep-11 20:15:13

I can't wait to get started! I'm going to do it 'random' - a bit like my mind...wink

HildaW Wed 07-Sep-11 18:38:40

Oh yes Greenmossgiel. I just use sissors and sit there infront of trashy tv (it will be Strictly soon)and get on with it. Some people do demand that everything is of same length etc but I've always felt that was just not me and I wanted to be true to the old ideas of make do and mend. I try to get them all similar but sometimes the fabric is thin and the strips can be a bit wider somethimes its a thick bit of sweatshirt and needs to be a bit thinner. I tend to sit and cut the clothes up into panels first, you know cut the seams and hems off so I have just 'pure' fabric. Then I cut it all into strips and then into the lengths I need. A bit of trial and error lets me know how long I want them (the longer the shaggier) but then I just sort of 'get my eye in' and I'm off. Can mean a sore thumb if I do too much at any one go tho!
Have fun X

greenmossgiel Wed 07-Sep-11 18:13:38

It arrived today!!!! I've been looking out materials - unfortunately the charity shop bag has had to be raided, and stuff I was going to put on ebay (to make myself a little cash, hopefully), has been thinned out and put aside for cutting up! Tell me HildaH, how do you do your cutting? The book shows a special block to do the cutting on, but I haven't got one of those - can I just use scissors and get on with it?

HildaW Wed 07-Sep-11 18:01:35

Greenmossgiel......any sign of the book yet?

greenmossgiel Sun 04-Sep-11 17:16:35

My hessian was delivered yesterday, and my book should be here soon! I'm already eyeing up possible t shirts for cutting up! hmm

artygran Sun 04-Sep-11 15:23:26

I have not thought about this for ages until the other day, having a sort out, I found a pegging tool that someone gave to me. I have never used it but my mother used to peg rugs all the time - big ones for the kitchen, little ones for the bedrooms (lino was cold on the feet!). Like Numberplease's mum, she saved old coats and dresses and I used to help her cut them into strips. Perhaps I'll have a go one day, if I can remember how she did it!

HildaW Sun 04-Sep-11 10:27:59

Sook, yes they are a good stress buster......also good at stopping you nibbling whilst watching tv!

Sook Sat 03-Sep-11 21:55:15

About 15 years ago our local museum held free classes in the art of rag rugging. I was totally hooked (excuse the pun). I use old hessian sacks which I come across on my travels and fabrics vary from old cotton t shirts to old coats and blankets. Would love to try dyeing my own colours.

I made several then had a long break. Recently I got the urge again and have made one for my grandaughters bedroom. Now I'm hooked again. Great for stress busting too!

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Sep-11 15:34:02

Thanks - I've no doubt my efforts will compare with the back of shysal's, but what a good idea it is to use t shirts! I shall get on to my daughter and order her to throw no more of my granddaughter's t shirts away (as she is prone to do, rather than sort them for the charity shop bag...! smile

HildaW Fri 02-Sep-11 15:14:24

Greenmossgiel. I use old t shirts (it does not fray) I get from family and friends and then on the sale rails in charity shops. I belonged to a group back in Oxfordshire (where I learnt) everyone used different things for different purposes. Our teacher even used old plastic carrier bags to make a design on a basic hessian bag, sounds 'rubbish' but was very effective. Others used old blankets, those that have worn thin are sometimes even better. Others went down the whole natural dying route boiling up berries in old saucepans!! We would bring any excess fabric in and swap it around. There would be yelps of 'oh thats just the colour I wanted'. The book is full of inspiration, I do hope you have a go and enjoy it.

shysal Fri 02-Sep-11 15:04:56

I started a doormat size rag rug some months ago just before 3 of my grandchildren ( two boys and a girl) came to stay, and they took it over. I made a tidy start, but now the back is a mess. However, as I use 2 colours randomly, the top surface looks great! I shall let them finish it then fill in any large gaps.
If a 6 year old can do it anyone can, and they even enjoyed cutting the strips which I find rather tedious. I recommend it for keeping the little ones occupied.

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Sep-11 14:52:01

I wouldn't mind going again, absentgrana First time I went with my friend then the next time with DH. The houses were so very like the one I was brought up in - the backyard, scullery etc! The rug-making fascinated me, because the girl's hands just flew along using a worn old peg! When I came home I nagged at DH to find me a piece of sacking at one of the farms that he called at. He did find me a bit....I think it had been in a cowshed or something....it put me off a bit! However, this time I shall be properly prepared! grin

absentgrana Fri 02-Sep-11 14:32:35

greenmossgiel I love the Beamish Museum and you are right about the rag rugs displayed in the houses in the pit village and sometimes being made for visitors to discover how it's done. It's one of the places we always take our house guests to and they all love it. If you haven't been for a while, you should try to find time for another visit – new things and changes happen all the time. Latest addition is a coal-fired fish and chip shop which looked massively popular and smelled lovely when we were there (with another house guest) at the beginning of last month. smile

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Sep-11 14:10:18

Well, I've just ordered my hessian from Ebay and my book from Amazon! I think I've got a peg......but I don't have any material yet! HildaW - what's the best kind to use? hmm

HildaW Fri 02-Sep-11 13:44:09

Elegran....yes I know the tool you mean, but I don't get on with it, I still use my half a dolly peg. I think they do vary from area to area. I like them because they are the ultimate re-cycling. I go to Acton Scott regularly and also Blists Mill where they have them in the houses there. The old stories tell of them being made from the material that was not good enough for patchwork. Usually a new one was made for the bedroom, then it slowly migrated downstairs as it got older ending up by the scullery door. They weren't thrown away even then though, but were tossed on top the compost heap.

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Sep-11 13:24:33

Thanks, HildaW!I remember a rug like this in our kitchen when I was little! My mother had made it, I'm sure...? I'm going to see if I can find the book that you mentioned -maybe on Amazon? I'll start hanging on to appropriate fabrics now. Mind you, a tea-tray (cloth) is all that I may manage!!! grin

Elegran Fri 02-Sep-11 13:23:21

We used to make them with the finished (heavy) part lying on the kitchen table. It was not a hook but a sort of pointed pliers thing which would go through a half-inch fold of hessian and open to grip the strips, Working from the right side we would push it through the fold, catch the end of a strip of material about 6 x 1 inch, and pull it half through so that you had two ends on the right side. At the end of a row we'd smooth down the strips against the rest of the worked rows and start a new fold. The edges of the hessian had already been tacked down to the right size, so they did not fray and there was no need to finish them off or back the rug.

HildaW Fri 02-Sep-11 13:06:07

Greenmossgiel....I dont use a frame. Its not actually neccessary, and I was taught by a lady who did not use it. We all started quite small with something about the size of a tea tray. You must hem the hessian because it frays like mad. If you are doing the peg proddy version (this leaves a lovely shaggy finish) you draw a simple patteren on the reverse of the hessian and work from the back. The proddy does not take a complex design. I cut all the bits of materail ready and keep them in bags according to colour and then can almost do it in the dark! As you get more confident you can go bigger. There is another method called hooky that used a hook a bit like a chuncky crochet hook. This produces a smoother, close finish that can take complex designs. I've heard of a lady who did a stair carpet this way!

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Sep-11 11:44:03

I'd love to have a go at this! A few years ago we went to Beamish Open Air Museum and saw 'rag rugs' being made there, just as numberplease described. How do you do it in front of the telly though, HildaW, if you need a large frame, as you would for a rug?