Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you knitting at the moment?

(321 Posts)
ninnynanny Sat 17-Sep-11 09:02:05

I am knitting a red cardigan for my grandaughter but I think it's a bit big, will have to put it away until next year. I often have this problem with sizes, can't be bothered with the size swatch. I have bought lots of wool, if I see a good buy try to get some. Have some lovely wool now she is out of the baby colours, red, lavender, pomegranet. Hate sewing up though!

Sook Thu 28-Nov-13 22:19:46

So you'll work those biceps every time you pick up your knitting needles gracesmum grin

I have just finished a pair of UGG style boots for my 6 month old DGS. Next on the needles is a pair of stripey socks for my DiL.

gracesmum Thu 28-Nov-13 21:43:23

I am knitting an elongated waistcoat in King Cole Ultimate chunky ("knitted knitting") with needles you could use for caber tossing at a Highland Games - 12mm and 15mm !!! Needless to say it is progressing quite quickly, although my style of knitting reminds me of when I first learned about 60 years ago. Lovely colours - if you have ever seen the yarn the shade is called "Ember" - shades of red, hot pink, brown, tan, purple etc. It is for me of course!

greatgranma Thu 28-Nov-13 21:30:28

nothing on go at moment should have really got enough wool to open a shop :D just finish things for new & 1st great grand daughters, 3 weeks old, just made things until a box was full & they arrived to post, eldest GS & partner of course just presented us with twin girls so will be able to knit nice lacy things but i feel sure those I made will have to wait till they grow into them, one was 4 lb the other 4lb 10oz & although i made very small still think too big, haven't seen them yet as they live so far away
made so much for GD no 10 18 months DD2 says she dosnt need any more yet & next DGD's up are 2 x16 yrs (not twins), 17 & 18 don't want Gran-mas hand knits & only 1 DGS 24 yrs gets me to make him a jumpers as he can never buy as he is so thin & tall if he finds something to fit chest it is too short in body & arms

JazzyGran Thu 21-Nov-13 09:44:36

Yes I get frustrated with lots of tops in shops with tight arms. I end up with bruises trying to get seam in the right place on my arms.

JazzyGran Thu 21-Nov-13 09:36:11

I have same problem. You could wind wool around one of your fingers not too tight (you adjust to suit) to tighten tension. The swatch is a faff but worthwhile or use smaller needles. This is my first post just joined.

Sook Sun 17-Nov-13 21:24:18

I'm knitting a tiny pair of Ug style boots for my 6 month old DGS.

Grannyknot Sun 17-Nov-13 20:50:59

A lovely soft charcoal grey 'snood' on order for my son: "please copy the one in River Island" smile

J52 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:41:45

Shawl for baby due in March. Only 4 row pattern fairly easy until I make a mistake! Lovely merino and silk wool. X

frankie74 Sun 17-Nov-13 14:24:37

I'm crocheting a Mickey and Minnie Mouse pair of hats for my 2 baby granddaughters, 6 months and 15 months. Having to guess their head sizes as I want to keep them as a surprise for Christmas, so can't ask mums to measure their heads. Fingers crossed.

Just finished 2 hooded jackets in Sirdar Baby Crofter dk, which knits up a bit like fair isle . They look lovely.

Brendawymms Mon 11-Nov-13 19:52:59

annobel. If you divide to length to be picked up into reasonable numbers say 20 stitches to appropriate length you will end up with Fairly well spaced stitches.
At the moment I am knitting a pink two yarn möbius shrug great fun once the brain cells get round the casting on. I an also joining together by crochet 121 granny squares before crocheting the border. On the side I am crocheting snowflakes in white and red to make this years decoration for the C*******s tree.
After the new year have a jumper project to knit for DH.
I have a bit of a yarn addiction!!!!!

granmaMary Mon 11-Nov-13 11:49:44

I am knitting 5 Christmas jumpers, red with white fair isle pattern round the bottom. They range from 4 years to 3 months. They all get put under the rug to press, it is getting very springy to walk on. One and a half to go!!!

ladybird9 Thu 19-Sep-13 23:33:35

I recentyl scanned the markets and shops for cable knitted cushion covers, exorbitantley overpiced some were £40 so., I purchased aran wool 400 grms £9.00 already have needles, will be able to make at least 2-covers, how's that. At this time of year it's good to have something to do of an evening. I am from The Generation, know what I mean ??????

Gorki Thu 05-Sep-13 20:30:44

Blanket squares as usual (my limit ! )At the moment we are making pram blankets for the gypsy community in Rumania. The girls tend to have children very young and push them round in battered old prams with no covers on. A member of one of the local churches here has a home in Rumania and she takes them in her car so there are no transport costs.

gracesmum Thu 05-Sep-13 20:07:11

Well.... I have started my (prize) Advent knitted bunting!! But it's too hot to knit, it'll have to get a bit colder to feel right.

eGJ Thu 05-Sep-13 20:03:28

Just started TWO jumpers.....a cable DK for me and an Aran for DH. Have found a lack of interesting DK patterns to do, but don't want one as "interesting" as my last one 24 rows in the pattern & ALL of them different. These new one look reasonably challenging. Also doing leg warmers to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis research; they're so easy that you can read at the same time. Won't do it when I'm doing DH's Aran though grin

girlracer Thu 05-Sep-13 19:44:06

I too am knitting wrist warmers - I knit bits and bobs for charity and these are so easy and use up all your old stash bits, you can design your own and make different sizes. Clicking away of an evening keeps my hands out of the biscuit tin!

pinkscorpio Fri 30-Aug-13 21:18:43

I'm busy knitting wellie sox for the winter. They're all in 4ply as i can't find a suitable dk patteren. Any suggestions?

Forzanonna Fri 15-Feb-13 17:37:13

Just looking for a pattern for a pram blanket - new baby in April so need to get my skates on!

Daftada Fri 15-Feb-13 16:38:53

I am knitting a cute cardigan for my great grandaughter Bobbi-Ray who is 1 today and lives in Canada with her Mum (my Grandaughter) and Dad. I hve only knitted dolls clothes for quite a while but now am determined to complete the cardigan. I also think it is a bit big but you never know it may fit by the time I have it finished!

noodles Mon 11-Feb-13 18:39:42

They are really cute. Love the shape and colours.smile

mrsmopp Sun 10-Feb-13 19:56:30

I got 8 balls of lovely soft bamboo yarn from Lidl last week and I'm making a gilet or waistcoat, whatever you call them these days. I'm pleased with the yarn, nice and soft and knits up well. I'm bound to have some left over so maybe a scarf, hat or socks with what's left over. Bargain too!!!

TwiceAsNice Sun 10-Feb-13 18:43:29

I am currently knitting a matinee jacket for a friends expected GS. Her daughter is pregnant after 3 failed ivf attempts so she,s very excited! The last thing I knitted were 2 shawls when my twin GD,s were born 3 years ago. I used to really enjoy it but DD doesn't,t like knitted cardigans very much. Was just going to start the sleeves on baby jacket when I realised I can,t find the right size needle to change to. How frustrating is that!

JessM Sun 10-Feb-13 13:37:37

A snood for a greyhound... right. Pics please, of her modelling it.

gracesmum Sun 10-Feb-13 13:00:10

A snood for Grace - love it! gringringrin

NannaAnna Sun 10-Feb-13 01:18:10

The Baby Cashmerino is gorgeous though isn't it Gracesmum
One little bit of a saving ... our lovely wool shop in Worthing is more of a community hub, and the owner actually lends out her pattern books!
Very trusting of her, and much appreciated by all.