Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Leonardo Da Vinci- National Gallery

(37 Posts)
susiecb Mon 31-Oct-11 09:35:54

Did anyone see the programme last night - absoluteley riveting (except of course for Fiona Bruce mincing about as if she were the star of the show.)I would love to see this showing - be a nice one for Gransnetters to meet up at???smile

GoldenGran Wed 09-Nov-11 12:59:46

I am going with my sister on Monday 12 December, am really looking forward to it.smile

artygran Wed 09-Nov-11 15:47:52

I don't actually care for renaissance painters, but I like Leonardo's drawings. The last exhibition in London I went to was the Frederick Leighton exhibition at the Royal Academy. His paintings are wonderful and much printed and it was lovely to see such works as Flaming June "in the flesh". When we go to London, if there is time, I always like to visit the Portrait Gallery. As for Fiona, I can take her or leave her - I got bored to death with the Royal Palaces and never finished watching it. My choice of presenter would be Brian Sewell. He's very knowledgeable and I absolutely love to hear his voice - it's like runny honey!

Jacey Wed 09-Nov-11 16:32:38

Agree Elegran ...too many 'talking heads' ...I really like his drawings ...both for his art work, but especially for his science and technology investigations.

Was taken ...more years ago than I like to remember ...by my parents ...to Windsor Castle to see her collection of cartoons and drawings ...absoultely amazing.

Have often wondered what he might have discovered/invented if he'd been born in 1852 instead of 1452 hmm

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 16:37:59

Jacey We'd have reached the moon in the 19C and Queen Victoria would have had a facebook page, provided he did not get distracted by a new idea..

carboncareful Wed 09-Nov-11 16:46:38

Has anyone else noticed how long the subject's fingers are in many of the paintings? Can there be a hidden reason for this?

Jacey Wed 09-Nov-11 16:47:09

Yes!! grin

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 16:52:53

Artistic emphasis? I believe cartoonists found that hands were more realistic with only 3 fingers and a thumb, not the standard 4 +1.

gracesmum Wed 09-Nov-11 21:04:36

Like Homer Simpson?

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 21:06:40

Exactly.

Stansgran Sat 12-Nov-11 20:05:16

Sadly all the advance sale tickets have gone

biggran Sun 13-Nov-11 14:56:20

I would love to see this show, but there is no way I can shuffle round that sort of 'blockbuster' show with hordes of other people any longer. Now I prefer small shows that I can see properly and at a pace that suits me.