Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Fish and Chips Baby

(31 Posts)
glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 12:39:42

I have just been passed this from my Sister, its to knit a small jumper for aids babies in Africa, The WI are organising the knitathon.

I received this by email and it has the diagram of the item which is in the shape of a cross, as it wont copy if anyone would like the e mail forwarded please Pm me.

FISH AND CHIP BABIES

New born babies suffering from Aids are being called ‘fish and chips’ babies because many of them are being sent home from hospital in newspaper for warmth. They need your help.

In order to assist these tiny babies we are asking you to knit a small jumper which will be sent to Africa. Average knitters can complete a jumper in an evening. It’s an easy quick pattern.

Special Instructions.
Use only double knitting wool (8ply)
No pastels or white please – these garments may never be washed.
Bright colours and mixed colours are best or stripes.

BABY JUMPER KNITTING PATTERN (Knitted all in one)

You will need
Double knitting wool.
Size 6 (5mm) needles (tight knitters)
Size 7 (5.4mm) needles (loose knitters)
Cast on 44 sts.
Do 18 rows in rib (K2, P2)
Do 30 rows in stocking stitch (1 row K, 1 row P)
Cast on 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (you should now have 56sts)
Cast on 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (You should now have 68sts)
and change to rib (K2, P2) for the sleeves
Do 22 more rows of rib (K2, P2)
Next row for the neck: rib 21 (K2, P2) cast off 26 rib (K2, P2) 21 (You should now have 42sts)
Next row for the neck: rib 21 (K2, P2) cast on 26 rib (K2, P2) 21 (You should now be back to 68ts)
Do 22 rows in rib (K2, P2)
Cast off 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (You should now be back to 56sts)
Cast off 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (You should now be back to 44sts)
Do 30 row stocking stitch (1 row K, 1 row P)
Do 18 rows in rib (K2 P2)
Cast off
Sew up the side seams

You can send the knitted tops to anyone you know in the Woman’s Institute, as they are arranging the whole fish and chip baby knitathon, if you don’t know anyone you could find a local group in the phone book and they will help. Or you could send them to me and I’ll give them to my Sister.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 23:31:13

What a lovely thing to do, if you are able to knit or sew, can't do either I'm afraid.

Grannyknot Wed 22-Jul-15 06:58:02

I was intrigued by the "Pillow Case Dresses" so did a search and found this link:
www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/pillow-case-pattern/

I have a pile of no-longer-needed pillowcases, so will get sewing. What sweet little dresses.

J52 Wed 22-Jul-15 07:15:06

I make the pillow case dresses and send the to a link at

www.dressagirlaroundtheworld.co.uk. The email is

[email protected]

The organisation sends a card informing you where the dresses have gone to. It is fun turning the pillow case into a pretty dress.

x

Grannyknot Wed 22-Jul-15 12:39:37

Thanks for the info J52.

petra Thu 23-Jul-15 20:38:14

Thank you for the links. I'm all fired up, what a wonderful idea.
I wish I could send one to my little girl in Africa, but the charity I support doesn't allow it.