Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Children's costumes for World Book Day

(39 Posts)
LullyDully Fri 01-Mar-13 12:36:58

I also think the lure of a prize takes away from the meaning a bit. A six year old just loves to dress up however simply. Just keep that in mind and you won't have any sleepless nights{knights}

LullyDully Fri 01-Mar-13 12:33:47

Remember it is World Book Day not World Telly day.smile

Humbertbear Fri 01-Mar-13 11:33:12

My grand- children's school has simplified the matter by telling everyone to go as princes and princesses. however the 4 year old also had pirates' day today.

annodomini Fri 01-Mar-13 11:26:17

One of my DSs was Dr Who last year with checked shirt and bow tie. Not difficult. However, on another occasion he was a Dalek. Luckily his mum has discovered a creative streak.

kittylester Fri 01-Mar-13 10:48:46

DGS1 is having a pirate birthday party so I expect there will be lots of pirates in one form or another in his class. smile

Lilygran Fri 01-Mar-13 10:43:41

Just an idea for a boy - hoods with ears and face paint? Would work even for Aslan or the Tiger who came to Tea. Most of the pattern firms sell patterns for hoods and there are probably some on the web. There are patterns for animal outfits if you have time and the result can be used as a onesie as well as for dressing-up. My DS won a prize once dressed as a purple mouse. His choice of colour.

Gorki Fri 01-Mar-13 09:48:17

We are in the same position with 5 year old twins. My daughter has been scouring the charity shops. The girl is easy -a princess as somebody mentioned but we are struggling with ideas for the boy.

Deedaa Thu 28-Feb-13 23:03:24

My grandson has just informed us he is going to go as Aslan (Daddy's been reading the Narnia books with him) I foresee a busy weekend for Mummy smile

susieb755 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:40:28

My son won his, dressed like you would for a nativity shepherd, and carrying a first aid box - Good Samaritan from the Bible......

ninathenana Thu 28-Feb-13 22:38:11

DD had long blonde hair as a child and luckily possessed a blue dress. So white sheet a bit of sewing became an apron. Add hair band.

Alice in Wonderland smile

Dressed her brother as playing card. Two large sheets of cardboard painted. Joined over the shoulder with tape. Simple.

LullyDully Thu 28-Feb-13 21:03:29

Angelina Ballerina? ballet dress and mousy head thing.Witch in room on a Broom ...dead easy.

LullyDully Thu 28-Feb-13 20:47:02

Where's Wally is easy with red stripes blue trousers and glasses.
Gruffalo dress in brown and make a mask printed on line.
Fairies and princesses usually abound or pirates.
Harry potter ot Hermoine quite easy too.

As long as the child is happy that's all that matters, can be overdone. It should be fun remember not a chore. Good luck

vegasmags Thu 28-Feb-13 20:35:49

If you google World Book Day characters, you will find numerous ideas, ranging from the simple to the elaborate. There's no need to go overboard, although there are always those who like to!

sofasogood Thu 28-Feb-13 20:15:38

Don't know if I'm on quite the forum for this question, but I'm in a panic because my daughter has asked me to make a costume for the 6 year-old GD for World Book Day next week. They have to go into school dressed as a character, apparently, and there's a prize. My daughter doesn't really care about this - she just doesn't want to have to do it herself! Granddaughter isn't bothered but may well be by the time the day comes around. Anybody done this or alternatively, got any ideas? I can use a sewing machine but I'm stumped about this. Ideas please?