Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Fairisle patterns for toddlers

(14 Posts)
DevonVal Fri 06-Dec-13 16:46:04

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I'm trying to find a knitting pattern for a fairisle jumper to fit a 2 - 3 year old grandson. I have scoured all the knitting shops in my area and looked online but no luck. I'm a reasonable knitter but no good at adapting patterns. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Mishap Fri 06-Dec-13 17:18:10

I created a very nice jumper for my baby GD using fairisle wool - you just use a plain pattern and the wool creates the pattern. Some people just knit and allow the wool to create the pattern randomly, but I tried to keep the pattern even (and this obviously varies with the number of stitches, so you have to look out when decreasing and increasing). Every now and again I had to sacrifice a bit of wool at the end of a row to keep the pattern even. It works very well and looks good.

Brendawymms Fri 06-Dec-13 17:23:56

Try the Garnstudio website.

tanith Fri 06-Dec-13 17:45:18

I second using Fair Isle wool it worked very well on a couple of jackets for my DGS...

DevonVal Fri 06-Dec-13 19:29:03

Ooh, never heard of fairisle wool mishap and tanith - I'll look into that, thanks. I also think I might have found an ideal pattern on the Garnstudio website - thank you Bren. Not sure how difficult it is so I might give it a go and if that fails it'll be the fairisle wool I think. Thank you all so much

hummingbird Mon 30-Dec-13 19:38:35

Hi Devonval, I have a lovely old pattern for a sleeveless pullover for a young boy. I'll send it to you if you'd like it.

Nonny Mon 30-Dec-13 20:00:03

There seem to be quite afew on the Ravelry site.

Brendawymms Mon 30-Dec-13 20:35:53

Sirdar Crofter is the fairisle yarn. It works surprisingly well. Google it and look at the images.

justrolljanet Sat 01-Feb-14 15:42:28

I think Debbie Bliss has some in her knitting for toddlers/children, I am sorry I cannot remember which book.

margaretm74 Sat 01-Feb-14 18:25:56

Have you made it yet? If not, I also recommend Sirdar crofter in Snuggly, make sure you use a new ball and start at the same bit of dye for back and front. Have used this for all DGD, and mixed it with some plain as well. Lots of patterns online, or it should work out with any jersey pattern.

Not absolutely perfect like proper fairisle, but looks effective.

mrsmopp Mon 03-Feb-14 15:50:49

I've seen lots of variegated wool around and it's very effective. Much easier than working with all different balls of wool. I bought some to make socks with. The variation makes very attractive random patterns. A wonderful idea.
I made a nice jacket with a neutral background & it had blue and yellow running through it. Lots of people thought I had done it the old fair isle way.
(I just let them think I was really clever) hmm

margaretm74 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:29:00

It does look clever, and I just did plain k a row p a row

Mishap Mon 03-Feb-14 17:42:22

The fairisle wool works best with stocking stitch - the ribbing is less effective.

margaretm74 Mon 03-Feb-14 17:54:11

I did a picot edging not rib ( for a girl)

Also some patterns are a mix of plain and crofter which I also did so the ribbing was in plain