Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Great British Sewing Bee

(136 Posts)
whenim64 Tue 18-Feb-14 18:39:05

I'm really chuffed to see that it's back on tonight, BBC2 at 8pm. I enjoyed the first series, so this is something to look forward to.

annodomini Wed 09-Apr-14 14:07:01

They were asked to make a gown. Tamara's was not a gown. Heather's was a real grown up gown, obviously for the hunt ball!

FlicketyB Wed 09-Apr-14 16:12:20

Nothing about the Sewing Bee in any of the papers I have seen, no review, no news items.

Of course everyone has been nice to each other, no rudeness, no bitchiness and no revelations about their private lives. Says it all really.

Just a lovely programme with nice people demonstrating incredible skill faced with mountingly difficult tasks, pleasant presenters and criticism tempered with praise.

I did enjoy it.

HildaW Wed 09-Apr-14 16:54:20

So agree with you FlicketyB its been a joy. A whole hour's worth of good manners, delightful people and good natured humour as well as THAT haberdashery! It would be my idea of heaven to be let loose in it and be told I could take anything!

J52 Wed 09-Apr-14 17:19:49

The Times 2 gave a good review and summed up the individual attributes of the final 3. More or less agreed with GNs! X

Deedaa Thu 10-Apr-14 22:16:07

I'm so sorry it's over, the time has gone so quickly! The final must have been a nightmare to judge - you could hardly put a pin between the three of them. But that gown of Heather's was stunning. I hadn't thought it would work - but when you saw it move it was wonderful. And how refreshing to have a programme with no bitching, no hysterics and no swearing.

Purpledaffodil Fri 18-Apr-14 23:00:09

Have only just seen this thread and so wish I had found it while series was running. Used to watch on Iplayer as main TV only seems to pick up Jeremy Clarkson and Hitlerwink I found DH strangely uninterested in what had happened that week and I really wanted to share! I so agree that it was the kindness of the contestants which made it. The way that most of them helped and supported each other was really inspiring.
Re sewing machines, I have a 40'year old Bernina which is still great. I bought it because my husband 's school at the time had a sewing room full of them and I thought that if they could stand up to Luton teenage girls, they were strong machines! I used to make all my own clothes and stuff for DD out of the remnants when she was small. Not made anything for years now but am inspired by SB to start again. The power of television!

FlicketyB Sat 19-Apr-14 08:11:31

Yes, I had the DH problem, he would sit the other end of the room with his head in a book. Fortunately DD was a fan so we both grabbed the phone as soon as each episode was over and had a long discussion about it.

Purpledaffodil Sun 20-Apr-14 07:35:33

And they say TV kills conversation FlicketyB! I must try to recruit my DD when the next series of SB starts. Coupled with GN I should be able to discuss it really thoroughlysmile

Grandissimo Mon 05-May-14 11:31:15

M y cousin Francis made his daughters wedding dress and all the bridesmaids dresses He didn't want people to know. Only family!

FlicketyB Mon 05-May-14 14:25:15

What a shame!