Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

2ply baby patterns

(23 Posts)
nanapug Fri 02-May-14 17:12:23

I know I have asked this a while back, and some people were very helpful; but I thought I would ask again as there are always new people on here. Does any one have any two ply baby patterns (not a shawl/blanket) that they have finished with, or could copy for me? I simply love knitting in two ply wool but patterns are very few and far between, even on Ravelry. I would of course pay postage x

nanapug Sat 03-May-14 18:31:02

Or has any one got a suggestion as to where I could find some please?

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 19:15:13

I will have a look, but don't think I have. You can find very old patterns online, I will try to remember where I got one, nanapug.

tanith Sat 03-May-14 19:43:56

There are quite a few here nanapug

www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/2-ply-knitting-patterns

nanapug Sat 03-May-14 19:51:10

Oh thank you, I will look x

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 19:57:44

Thanks Tanith

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 20:43:14

I have had a look but I don't have any. Hope you find one through the link from Tanith.

nanapug Sun 04-May-14 10:52:39

Trouble is most of the 2ply on line ones are for shawls, which I don't need. There are a couple of layettes but they are extremely fussy patterns. I think it so sad they don't make lovely modern patterns in two ply any more. I want to make some very plain new born things sad

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 11:15:23

Have you looked on the Ravelry site? You could ask the question on there as well.

Elegran Sun 04-May-14 11:30:51

Could you do one of the fancier ones but in stocking stitch? If you had the finished measurements and knew the tension you could work out how many rows and stitches and where to do increases and decreases.

nanapug Sun 04-May-14 11:44:07

I have looked on Ravelry "rosequartz" to no avail. I am afraid I am not really up to that "Elegran". I have tried in the past but I didn't really manage sad Thanks for the idea though. I maybe will have another go. I am knitting a four ply pattern ATM and it is so pretty. I hate little ones in great chunky knits. I made a two ply shawl for my DD when her baby was born and she loved it as it was so soft but not too heating. She used it constantly. I want to make some little pull on hats for newborns. Think I will have to do some experimenting!!

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 11:46:06

It would have to be a 2 year pregnancy for me to finish a shawl in 2 ply!

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 11:50:05

Would 3 ply be too thick? There may be some 3 ply patterns still available.

nanapug Sun 04-May-14 12:21:09

I think I may have to go with that "Rosequartz", I do have a few of those. I may have to compromise. I think I am being a bit stubborn though!!

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 12:26:28

3ply could be nice and quite delicate, nanapug, in comparison to some of the chunkier baby yarns.

Hope it works out well. I only once adapted a pattern, sizing it up and using bits from 3 patterns and I worried that it would not fit DGD after all that effort. It was fine but I wouldn't attempt it again.

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 13:06:20

3ply could be nice and quite delicate, nanapug, in comparison to some of the chunkier baby yarns.

Hope it works out well. I only once adapted a pattern, sizing it up and using bits from 3 patterns and I worried that it would not fit DGD after all that effort. It was fine but I wouldn't attempt it again.

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 13:07:18

How did that happen? DH always says I repeat myself.

nanapug Sun 04-May-14 13:49:05

Ha ha, you are twice right about the three ply ;)

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 13:57:14

grin happy knitting

grannyisland Sun 04-May-14 14:21:01

I'm sure you could manage the maths for a pull on hat if you know the finished size you want. If you did the hat in rib it would have the extra stretch to help it fit more than one size. Give a go!

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 15:17:06

It would be relatively easy to upsize a hat pattern I think.
I was trying to amalgamate and upsize 3 patterns for a jumper for a 6 year old. It did work out OK thank goodness.

hfvbauf Mon 30-Jun-14 03:34:19

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Soutra Mon 30-Jun-14 07:56:48

Reported of course.

GO AWAY - you've been told often enough!!