Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crochet.

(17 Posts)
Gracesgran Thu 02-Oct-14 22:50:36

Oh Liz45, we all do it. I am being ruthless with myself at the moment or no one will get Christmas presents smile

Liz46 Thu 02-Oct-14 20:26:28

Thank you for all the links and recommendations. I like the look of the ripple blanket and will give that a try when I have finished my knitting. I have been a bit daft and am halfway through four different things so am disciplining myself not to start anything else until they are all finished.

hildajenniJ Thu 02-Oct-14 19:41:32

Thanks atvan, I now know how to use DS's printer so I will now be able to print off patterns I find online. I will give the sites you mention a go and see what I can find.

Gracesgran Thu 02-Oct-14 19:36:56

I prefer crochet to knitting - the process not the result - but have only knitted stockings.

This is what came up when I put "crochet Christmas stockings" into Pinterest www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Crochet%20Christmas%20Stocking

They won't all have patterns but some are sure to.

grannyisland Thu 02-Oct-14 19:02:07

I would also say Ravelry. Are you near a library hilda - where you could print out your patterns?

atvan Thu 02-Oct-14 18:24:28

try www.AllFreeCrochet.com there is also www.AllFreeKnitting.com and www.AllFreeSewing.com i get daily emails from them and have found many projects there.

hildajenniJ Sun 27-Jul-14 20:55:31

I've been taking Crochet Today, an American publication which is bi-monthly. I haven't received the last one, and the newsagent can't find out why. Thanks for the info about the UK mags., I'll ask the newsagent about them. Thanks Gen

hildajenniJ Sun 27-Jul-14 20:48:13

I've been taking Crochet Today, an American publication which is bi-monthly. I haven't received the last one, and the newsagent can't find out why. Thanks for the info about the UK mags., I'll ask the newsagent about them. Thanks Gen

Genevieve489 Sun 27-Jul-14 20:01:29

There are two monthly UK crochet magazines - 'Inside Crochet' and 'Simply Crochet'. Both are well worth a look. I love crocheting, too and find it very therapeutic. I recently finished a ripple blanket for my granddaughter - the pattern is on Lucy's blog, Attic 24 and is called a 'Neat Ripple Pattern'.

Galen Fri 04-Jul-14 18:43:51

There is also a site called 'hooked on crochet' I belong to the 'crochet crowd'' which is American so you have to translate their patterns, but it's a friendly site with free video tutorials from 'Mikey'

Galen Fri 04-Jul-14 18:40:57

I crochet and have made several blankets.
You can get free patterns from lion brand wools

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Jul-14 18:20:51

Trouble is Tanith I haven't got a printer and it's an awful job writing out a pattern longhand! I learned to crochet at nightclasses. I've made all sorts of things from baby blankets to intricate lacy garments and I need a new project. The mag. I get from the newsagents comes from the USA and appears to have gone astray. I'll just carry on with the Santa stockings for now, thanks.

penguinpaperback Fri 04-Jul-14 18:19:46

Oh yes me too, I love Lucy's blog Nanabelle smile
attic24.typepad.com/

Nanabelle Fri 04-Jul-14 17:08:16

I love crocheting too. I made a colourful stripey pushchair blanket for my first gd and have made a granny square blanket. There is a brilliant blog called Attic24 and she has lots of tutorials which are so clear - but none for clothing! I learnt how to join granny squares as you go from her, so no sewing up at the end! Have made flowers and in the 60's made a crochet dress and a bikini (I think they were lined!).

penguinpaperback Fri 04-Jul-14 17:00:44

I knit but one day I will teach myself to crochet. smile
Do have a look at Ravelry, mostly knitting but some crochet too and patterns are either free or very reasonably priced. www.ravelry.com

tanith Fri 04-Jul-14 15:29:29

Try pin interest or ravelry I think they both have crotchet sections with free patterns. I used to crotchet in the dim and distant past but no more.

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Jul-14 15:22:16

Does anyone crochet? I have been busy recently making Santa stockings to, hopefully, sell at Christmas Fairs etc. My DGS's 1,2, and 3 love receiving home crocheted sweaters, hats, mittens ect. My DGD who is seven likes lacy tops to wear over tee-shirts. Can anyone suggest where I can get modern patterns, as I'm not clever enough to devise my own.