Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Needed - suggestions for a small knitting project for charity

(15 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 08-Aug-14 21:23:45

I've got that "me and my big mouth" feeling smile

I have volunteered to lead a "Sit & Knit" session as part of a community initiative, in early October. People will be encouraged to bring their own knitting projects but I thought it would be nice (that word again!) if we could also offer that people knit something small for charity. I've heard about the jackets for battery hens but can't find info on that. Blanket squares are bit boring ...hmm blush

Any ideas?

Mishap Fri 08-Aug-14 21:33:43

Try these links: www.ukhandknitting.com/knitting_for_charity.php

www.getknitting.com/ak_charity_knit.aspx

www.kofia.org.uk/

www.knitting4charity.org/

There are loads - google "Knitting for charity"

Enjoy!

lucid Fri 08-Aug-14 21:37:07

Hi Grannyknot....my GD has severe M.E and belongs to A.Y.M.E. The mums of the members are raising money through 'Knit a Tulip for M.E'. The tulips can be knitted or crocheted - patterns are available.Knit a Tulip

We are a group of mums who all have children suffering from this illness. We met each other through the AYME Link forum for parents/carers of children with ME/CFS, we plan to raise £25,000 by knitting 25,000 tulips to represent the number of children suffering from this illness in the UK, though the actual figure probably far exceeds our current target!

Grannyknot Fri 08-Aug-14 21:40:02

That was quick, thanks! smile I knew GN mates would come up with the goods grin

Grannyknot Fri 08-Aug-14 21:53:03

I feel so bad now for saying that squares are boring ...they may be boring to knit, but they are clearly much needed. Will have a look at the tulips, that sounds interesting. Thanks again.

Maniac Fri 08-Aug-14 22:13:01

There's a pattern on line for 'Knit a poppy' If your group make lots of poppies you could then sell them for Poppy day in November- more interesting than the usual ones on sale.I'll try to put a pic on 'Picture thread

Grannyknot Fri 08-Aug-14 22:15:54

Thanks Maniac.

Nelliemoser Fri 08-Aug-14 22:34:16

Knitting a square is not boring. I find it a very soothing process, particularly if you have no other project on the go and it does more good than knitting little novelties.

Annaries Fri 08-Aug-14 23:55:50

A friend knits squares for a charity called Jacob's Well in Beverley. They are made into blankets for cots, and beds, then trucked over to various areas that need them, along with medicines, etc.

penguinpaperback Sat 09-Aug-14 00:53:42

Another 2 good causes are knit a square for orphaned children in Africa and Woolly Hugs on mumsnet. I recently knit some squares for Woolly Hugs which are going to be made into a beautiful blanket for 3 very young children. Their Mum, a mumsnetter died recently, just early 30's, from bowel cancer. Woolly Hugs have many projects on the go.
Both links,
www.knit-a-square.com/
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/woolly_hugs

rosie324 Tue 16-Sep-14 15:05:55

you can knit baby clothes they are needed to send to mothers who have nothing

Icyalittle Tue 16-Sep-14 16:10:52

Here's a Knit a Poppy link https://www.prod.facebook.com/BBCRadioNottingham/posts/700336383354784:0 or just Google. There are a number around. Good luck!

rosequartz Tue 16-Sep-14 17:49:00

Little jackets or hats for premature babies at your local hospital are always welcome.

I knit squares for https://www.facebook.com/LilyLoveInTheLanguageOfYarn

I can knit and watch tv, so you could knit and natter at the same time. Squares can be useful for practising different stitches or patterns, or crocheting. They needn't be boring and they use up all the odd balls of wool left from other projects.

seasider Tue 16-Sep-14 23:26:12

I sell poppies each year with a group from work and the knitted ones sell very well .

rubylady Tue 16-Sep-14 23:57:57

How about doggie coats for Battersea or any other dogs home? smile