Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

vintage crochet bon bon dish pattern

(12 Posts)
MamaCaz Wed 13-Aug-14 09:27:03

Going back some thirty years, I used to do loads of crochet, before life got in the way and other things took up my time. One thing that I remember making were some bonbon dishes - I made loads of them for Christmas one year, filling them with chocolates.
They were made more or less like a doily, but with fewer increases on each row so that they didn't lie flat, then soaked in sugar starch and put over a bowl to dry into shape.

There is a produce / craft fair coming up soon in our village and I like the idea of making something retro like that to enter, but unfortunately I got rid of all my craft patterns some 10 years ago (something which I bitterly regret now, as I had a great collection of knitting, crochet and sewing patterns that would be so useful to me now) when DH decided that we should move abroad to live (a short-lived experiment, as I hated it). I've tried Googling such things but with no success.

I don't suppose any Gransnetters have any such patterns that they could share, do they? There is a produce / craft fair coming up soon in our village and I like the idea of making something retro like that to enter smile

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 09:28:53

Have you searched on Google,*Mamacaz"? There are a lot of crochet patterns online and what you are looking for is probably there.

hildajenniJ Wed 13-Aug-14 10:02:31

Try googling back issues of Crochet Today. It's an American publication which has some really fun retro patterns. July/August 2010 had a basket pattern and May/June 2012 has a "Bodega basket" and a "potluck carrier". I know these are not exactly what you were asking about but I don't have all the issues. Hope you find something soon.

Grannyknot Wed 13-Aug-14 10:07:38

MamaCaz you have taken me back - my gran used to make those. Sorry I can't help with a pattern.

Liz46 Wed 13-Aug-14 10:19:59

Ask in your local charity shops. I am a volunteer and things like that are kept 'under the counter' and we bring them out if asked.

MamaCaz Wed 13-Aug-14 10:27:21

I had tried Google, but not found anything similar. That said, it was only a quick search so I'll keep trying.

Liz46 - I had no idea that things like that might be kept under the counter in the charity shops, so I'll definitely try asking next time smile

Grannyknot Wed 13-Aug-14 10:31:26

Hi Mamacaz this site might help you:

www.antiquecrochetpatterns.com/free-crochet-basket-patterns.html

Not quite what you describe ... smile

Grannyknot Wed 13-Aug-14 10:35:46

You have to pay for this pattern (but I'm having fun looking)

www.crochetmemories.com/patterns/variegated-spring-basket-doily.php

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 10:38:48

Did you find this one? freevintagecrochet.com/free-crochet-pattern/star15/bon-bon-dish

Or you could make it up as you go along - a circle of plain flat crochet with the usual increases, then as many rows with fewer increases as you need for the sides, ending with a strip of fancy edging or picot. If you don't like the effect at any stage, crochet is easy to undo a bit and redo it.

If you keep notes of what works, you can repeat it as often as you like - and you know that what you made is unique to you.

Grannyknot Wed 13-Aug-14 10:39:15

What I often do when I am looking for something on google, I put in the search but click on "images" - that brings up the picture on all the sites that match your search, and from there you can click on the pic, then on the "Visit website".

www.karensvariety.com/CopyPatterns/Baskets/Basket924.htm

I'm knocking off now smile

MamaCaz Wed 13-Aug-14 17:47:17

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

I still haven't found exactly what I want - or at least not with a pattern - but I've found a site with some lovely doilies that I will try to adapt. Years ago I would probably have been able to make up my own pattern completely, but after all this time I will have to set my sights a little lower to begin with smile

Gracesgran Tue 16-Sep-14 00:24:23

Have you tried Pinerest? I couldn't live without it.

www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=crochet%20bowl%20pattern%20free&rs=ac&len=12

The first ones are all quite chunky but there is a pink lacy one if you scroll down - row 7 on my screen - and a lovely white one on row 4. The rows may come up differently when you go in though.

I searched using "crochet bowl pattern free" after going to www.pinterest.com/ just in case the link doesn't work.