Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing machine service.

(9 Posts)
ginny Wed 12-Nov-14 21:58:53

Will do Pompa Thanks.

pompa Wed 12-Nov-14 17:11:14

Ginny, check your instructions, you may be able to easily expose more of the inside of the machine to clean more dust & fluff out, they usually open up quite easily, just catches. The manual should also indicate where to apply some sewing machine oil (use oil specified for sewing machines as most oils are just too thick).
Unless you are having problems, apart from the above, I would leave well alone.

ginny Wed 12-Nov-14 11:07:13

Thanks for your replies. My machine is not overly complex although it does do some embroidery stitches but it is not one you just programme and leave to do it by itself. I do take the foot plate off and clean under there regularly. It is working perfectly well at the moment so maybe 'if it aint broke don't fix it' might apply.

J52 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:33:27

Last year I Had my 33 year old machine serviced at an industrial sewing machine shop in the heart of Leicestershire clothing industry. All for £25! I did have to deliver and collect, but I forgot the electric lead, no problem for them and they offered to carry it out to my car! Machine was like new.
If you have an industrial clothing area nearby it might be worth making the journey. X

pompa Wed 12-Nov-14 08:50:42

The cost will be affected by the complexity of the machine, simple single needle machines are far less complex, those that can embroider etc, are very complex and have many more parts to clean. You say yours is an electronic machine, so i assume it is of the complex variety.

It is unlikely that a domestic machine would need parts replaced.

Marmight Wed 12-Nov-14 08:43:38

Had mine done earlier this year after it decided to have a 'funny turn'. It was only the 2nd time it had been serviced in 40 years and I collected it within 48 hours all spruced up, de-fluffed, oiled and back in working order. It cost £40. I suppose all machines need to be serviced from time to time!

pompa Wed 12-Nov-14 08:42:23

I have serviced our sewing machine. Servicing involves cleaning fluff & dust from places you would not believe it could get to, lubricating all moving parts. Drive belts may need replacing.

It takes me about 2 hours to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

If £60 includes a new drive belt etc, that is reasonable. Check on the internet, you may find someone who will come to you.

Nelliemoser Wed 12-Nov-14 08:36:50

Ah! My old sewing machine has electricity and that is as hi tech as it gets.

Last year mine was oiled, cleaned and the sewing movement set properly.Then tension screw and one or two other things were replaced.

It made a big difference to how well it worked . It had not been serviced for about 30 yrs.

ginny Wed 12-Nov-14 08:23:44

Has anyone had their sewing machine serviced ? I have been told it will cost around £60 and I would have to drop it off at the shop and pick it up 3 days later. What exactly do they do ? I assume they don't touch the computerised part and I keep it fluff free.