Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crochet

(37 Posts)
Falconbird Sun 04-Jan-15 21:02:27

My little grand daughter is coming up to 4 and she is very interested in my crochet. My DIL would like me to teach my grand daughter to crochet in a few years time, but she is left handed, so it might be tricky. Any advice welcome.

annodomini Tue 20-Jan-15 18:36:13

Would bamboo crochet hooks and knitting needles show up on the airport scanners?

loopylou Tue 20-Jan-15 18:42:06

Not sure but you are asked asked if you have anything on the list prominently displayed which includes knitting needles etc and you have to declare them (I flew from Gatwick and Bristol)
I wouldn't risk it, they can go in hold luggage but that's not much help if you want to use them on board... And if you got that far the air stewards might get shirty....

rosequartz Tue 20-Jan-15 18:47:24

Bristol are one of the worst that I have gone through.

rubysong Wed 21-Jan-15 21:02:23

I have looked at the TSA website and it says knitting needles and crochet hooks are allowed. Maybe I can find a little plastic hook I can do it with, or try to use a hairgrip. They can't object to that.

annodomini Wed 21-Jan-15 22:01:31

I once flew from Edinburgh to Manchester wearing a brooch with an immensely long pin - at least 3 inches. They never noticed it, though another time a tiny pair of tweezers was taken from me. I'd have thought that a plastic or bamboo crochet hook would be pretty innocuous but who knows how their minds work in airport security?

rosequartz Wed 21-Jan-15 23:59:21

The airline may say it is OK but airport security may have different ideas.

There is no logic to some of it.

granjura Thu 22-Jan-15 10:23:18

Won't make myself popular here, but I think they should just be forbidden and be done with it. How can they, for instance, allow a 'butter wouldn't melt' GNeter, but not someone younger, or a man, or someone wearing a burka? Rules have to be applied to everybody the same in an airport. And of course knitting needles could be taken from a bwmGneter and used for the wrong purpose. You can't have nail scissors taken from people but knitting needles allowed. Sometimes things annoy us, but if we look at the bigger picture, we can put up with the inconvenience for a few hours and read instead.

rubysong Thu 22-Jan-15 11:23:45

There isn't enough elbow room to knit if I wanted to. I do word searches, crosswords and read but eleven hours is so long. Rarely get comfy enough to sleep. I don't know how those travelling to Australia cope.

rubysong Thu 22-Jan-15 13:57:26

I have just found a small plastic hook which came with loom bands. It works OK so that is what I shall take with me.

granjura Thu 22-Jan-15 14:05:27

Great news- that will be perfect.

rosequartz Thu 22-Jan-15 16:51:16

I travel to Australia but have never attempted to take knitting in my hand luggage (especially since that lady got her nearly completed baby shawl confiscated). The longest leg is 13 hours with a stop in between; I take my kindle, try to snooze, may watch a film, have a walk around, do some word puzzles, do some gentle exercises at the end near the toilets! You are 'in a bubble' so you just have to switch off from the outside world.

Your plastic hook should be fine rubysong. I must learn how to crochet before I go next!

Re dangerous objects, as someone pointed out, a CD bought in departures can be broken and made into a weapon which would be just as effective (probably more so) as a Gransnetter steaming through the cabin and attacking the crew with a bamboo knitting needle!

If they are not allowed to discriminate (fair enough) how come every time I go through I get called on one side and get patted down?