Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

KNITTING FOR CHARITY

(43 Posts)
mariana Sun 17-May-15 19:56:05

Does anyone here do knitting for charity. I have been going to a Tuesday craft group for over 20 years, and many of us have knitted many various charities all over the world. They include jumpers , vests for Africa, scarves gloves hats for Eastern Europe--hats for soldiers, tons more, I cannot remember them all.

Right now we are knitting for a local homeless society, blankets, hats, scaves, gloves,dog blankets. Also a premature baby unit, small blankets, tiny hats, tiny jackets, plus burial gowns, which are also sadly needed.

And we are making chickinis . !!

these are little jackets for chickens--honestly. My friend has a son in Gambia, and for some reason they pluck all the feathers off the chickens, and because it gets cold at night there, the chickens get really cold.

plus all sorts of soft toys, which we sell at the local hospice, all money raised goes to the Hospice.

I would love to know if anyone else does something like this. Many of us like to knit, but have noone to knit for, so this is ideal. We also do some crochet as well, which I teach. !

Nelliemoser Thu 21-May-15 09:59:43

Seeing some of these items does cheer me up though. If it makes someone smile it is not wasted.

But what the heck do the smoothie company do with them other than use this project for their own corporate gain.

rosequartz Thu 21-May-15 10:04:26

Presumably the extra 25p goes to charity.

Perhaps you could collect them and put chocolate eggs in at Easter - I have a friend who knits little Father Christmases or chickens that size and I buy them (money goes to charity) then I put chocolate eggs or rabbits in them, then the DGD can use the knitted items for puppets.

What I hate to see is people knitting covers for cars--or trees--using up huge amounts of wool and time, both of which could be put to more use, by helping others in some way
Yes, that is the yarn-bombing!
Waste of time, effort and yarn imo

mariana Thu 21-May-15 14:30:50

Yes, the extra 25p goes to charity--not sure, but it could be Macmillan.

Yarn bombing--that is the word-I totally agree with you Whose crazy idea was that ? Little babies with no clothes, but tons of wool, knitting a tree cover--why ??????????????

rosequartz Thu 21-May-15 18:01:03

It has always really annoyed me!!!

rosequartz Thu 21-May-15 18:05:18

I used to think they knitted things for, say a festival, then perhaps unravelled it, carefully washed it and re-knitted the yarn for charity items.

But no, it stays out for ages; it is just a weird, selfish and egotistical hobby in my view.
There! I have often thought it to myself but never said that to anyone.

mariana Thu 21-May-15 19:02:54

Well you should, because you are quite right.

GrandmaH Sun 13-Dec-15 14:22:10

At this time of year we are asked to provide items for the Shoe Box appeal which sends items to countries where there has been some sort of disaster. We fill a shoe box with all sorts of items for children.
One of the best items is knitted glove puppets & so very easy & uses up those odd bits of wool
Cast on 18 stitches- work 4" garter stitch
cast on 10 stitches & knit to end on next 2 rows
Knit 1"
Cast off 10 stitches at end of next 2 rows
Work 2" & cast off.
Repeat in same colour

You now have 2 halves of a teddy or clown or whatever you want to turn it into. I use 2 googly eyes ( with the backing bits- not adhesive as they may be gong to hot places & melt off) & embroider a smiley mouth & sew them together. Easy as anything & it has to be for me as knitting not my thing usually. We make a lot of plain hats too- also very easy.
It's good fun & takes very little time or concentration.

Jumbly01 Tue 15-Dec-15 17:36:33

Knitters kit rescued battery hens out with jumpers in this country too. Sadly they pluck their own and each other's feathers out.

Lavande Tue 26-Jan-16 21:26:01

Just seen this thread so can add another Charity which I contribute to: www.knitforpeace.org.uk. They distribute donations worldwide and you can specify which of their projects you wish your knitted items to be sent. Currently I am choosing to knit for Syrian refugee children but there are others, with helpful advice and patterns to download.

JJ50 Tue 02-Feb-16 16:38:47

I have never enjoyed knitting nor did my mother. However an elderly lady (98) whom I have known since I was born still knits for charity, as do her friends. The person who is in charge of sending their items to the countries which need them is 102!

crafter72 Wed 24-Feb-16 15:38:41

Like Lavande, I support Knit for Peace (they accept crocheted items too!) & have been sending scarves and blankets for the Kurdish Refugees appeal. I know they are also grateful for any spare yarn, needles etc. for distribution to organisations which need them. Their address is Radius Works, Back Lane, London, NW3 HL.

Marelli Wed 24-Feb-16 16:49:15

I knit for the Mission to Seafarers. Lots of hats, scarves, balaclavas, gloves etc are needed for the seafarers who often join ships in the Philippines wearing the minimum of clothes (shorts, tee-shirts) and soon find themselves in freezing Arctic waters with only overalls to keep them warm. Patterns are available on the website.
www.missiontoseafarers.org

burrowdigger Wed 24-Feb-16 16:53:36

I knit blankets for Battersea cats. My DD got a lovely kitten from there 3 years ago (now a large much loved member of the family who rules the roost!) She was so impressed with the work the staff do that we both started knitting blankets. Battersea staff are always extremely grateful and apparently when a cat arrives at Battersea it is given a blanket. Then when it is rehomed it takes its blanket with it.
All you GNs seem to be knitting for far more deserving causes and I feel a bit guilty knitting for cats, but I've always been terribly soft about animals. Perhaps I will branch out a bit. Thank you for your good ideas

crafter72 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:50:39

burrowdigger, cats are deserving too! I think it's a sign of our humanity to do something for someone who can't repay us, and this is equally true in respect of animals. Actually you've given me a good idea about what to do with all my spare knitted squares! smile

Marelli Thu 25-Feb-16 17:01:48

I would definitely knit for cats (and dogs), burrowdigger. That wee blanket going with the rehomed cat would be a comfort to them and help them settle in. smile

Cybernan12 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:00:44

I belong to two online knitting groups ; fish and chip babies / crafty aid. These people have become dear friends.
F&C receive all sorts of items for those children in desperate need throughout the world. They have monthly projects too. They guarantee to find homes for everything they receive. This week 5 large boxes of items left for the Syrian refugees.
CA are a group of people supporting Hoima hospital in Uganda. Groups of midwives and nurses from Royal Basingstoke Hospital dedicate their holidays to going to Hoima to help the impoverished Mums and their babies. Feedback from this group is heart warming and heart wrenching. Their need for items is quite specific; swaddling sheets/ knitted or crocheted snuggle wraps/ small knitted teddies. Needs change frequently.
I would encourage those who have no one to knit or crochet for, or like me find the DGC are not keen to receive and wear hand made items, to explore these two groups. You will find a warm welcome and appreciation for any help you can give.

My motto is "I can't change the world but I can make a difference to one life at a time!"

Izabella Thu 14-Apr-16 09:04:32

I knit soft blankets and a toy mouse to accompany them for the local RSPCA shelter. All wool is donated to me so the patterns are quite interesting.