Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

So beautiful, it almost made me cry

(32 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 29-Jul-15 19:57:28

When I was first given this job, DS (boss) took me round the workshops showing me things that the students were in the process of making.

He made a point of taking me to the bench of an Australian student who was 9 months into a 1 year course. The student wasn't there, but DS showed me a semi-circular table top, with fine inlay.

It looked lovely, the veneers were in place, but it was unpolished and the legs were nowhere to be seen. Today, P, the student, called me in to the workshop to see it in it's finished state. It was as stated in the title! (Tomorrow I hope to post pictures of it, I just wish I had taken some of the way it was the first time I saw it, beautiful, but in a different way)

P has taken around 3 months to complete this piece. I said that I could imagine his descendants saying "my great grandfather made that!" He replied, "No, I want to sell it as soon as possible!"

I was a bit taken aback at first, but then realised that of course if he want's to make a career of this, then he needs to sell pieces. (He has already sold some lamps, but I haven't seen them)

When I went back into the building where the offices are, I told DS of my reaction to the finished piece. He said "But Phoenix, we do that every day!"

You might think it a bit odd that I'm posting this without the pictures (I really hope to get some that show the piece properly, but no doubt I will end up using the ones that Phil, our resident "digital artist" takes) but my experience today has helped me to understand how privileged I feel to be part of this amazing place, even though my contribution is far from creative. (Unless you count the way that I try to get DS's receipts for certain things accepted by the accountants!)

A very happy Phoenix, who hopes that this job will be "the one" grin

Thank you all.

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 10:13:23

Thank you MariClaire smile you're very kind!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Aug-15 10:20:31

Well! It's going to be very good for your brain phoenix! If you can cope with that lot you are doing alright! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Aug-15 10:23:26

I would love to see a brochure of their work. A link would be fantastic.

MiniMouse Wed 05-Aug-15 10:48:43

Here you go jingl

www.finefurnituremaker.com/

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Aug-15 13:19:25

Thank you Minimouse. It looks amazing.

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 13:26:02

Tomorrow I hope to be able to either upload photos or provide a link to a couple of my current favourite pieces, both recently completed by students.