Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Here it is, "The Black Swan"

(20 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 11-Aug-15 08:33:55

That's an amazing piece of work and I found Paul's blog fascinating. I really love the drawer in the table and wish I could see it in action. smile
That must be a wonderful place to be involved with, phoenix.

Nelliemoser Tue 11-Aug-15 08:02:28

That really works! The elegance of the style is amazing. It's a lovely piece of fine art which will be someone's heirloom.

Jane10 Tue 11-Aug-15 07:07:58

phoenix I meant the little cabinet he's working on now not the lovely table.

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:13:12

nina grin As I said, not to everyone's taste, and it wouldn't fit into my house, but I still think it is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

ninathenana Mon 10-Aug-15 21:05:51

A true work of art.
Personally I wouldn't give it house room smile but it's beautiful.

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:04:34

Jane,I do know what you mean, I have a miniature chest of drawers that was made as an apprentice piece, but I don't think Paul's table quite falls into that category!

Jane10 Mon 10-Aug-15 20:51:47

phoenix nice to hear that good old fashioned apprentice pieces are making a comeback. We have one. Looking at it its a CV in wood. Its about 200 years old and is so tactile. Lovely wood.

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 19:36:09

Actually, generous chap that Paul is, on his site he has included a picture of Michaels rocking chair, another piece that I love, although it's not the best shot. It couldn't be more different from paul's table, it could be at home in a farmhouse setting, or a stripped down appartment.

Even though today has been a bit frustrating (bloody slow internet connection made banking type stuff difficult and annoying!) I still love the fact that I am working with, having a laugh with, and seeming to have my contribution appreciated by such talented people!

Greyduster Mon 10-Aug-15 19:22:53

It's superb - a real work of art. I thought the jointing on the drawer was beautiful. It belongs in a very smart modern apartment!

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:58:33

dusty grin At first I just stoodand looked, then Paul said "open the drawer". It's got this "piston" confused thing where you gently press it and it opens, very impressive!

His current piece is a small (about 3 ft tall) intricate cabinet, the idea being that he can take it to show clients who are thinking of commissioning a piece and they can examine it closely, and of course touch it.

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:37:25

I think the way he has described how he made it, even down to using the much maligned mdf (and, WHY he used it) gives a good insight into the process.

There is an advert on TV at the moment stressing "no veneer here" , that implies that veneer is "bad", and I suppose if you are after solid oak furniture, that may be the case, but a piece like this cannot be made without veneer, and as Paul says, there really isn't any other way to do marquetry!

dustyangel Mon 10-Aug-15 18:29:22

It is absolutely beautiful phoenix
I wouldn't want it for myself although I would love to see it in real life. Not sure I could resist touching it though. hmm Might not be allowed. grin
This afternoon I have been round a beautiful, almost finished, house. It appeals to me in the same way. Why would I want seven bathrooms? No, not even with an amazing view.

shysal Mon 10-Aug-15 18:27:02

Yes, made me feel emotional too. Such a lot of work went into a seemingly simple, understated design, absolutely beautiful!

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:14:53

Mini, I know what you mean, although I'd seen it during construction, the finished item was something else!

MiniMouse Mon 10-Aug-15 18:09:18

Made me feel quite emotional and I've no idea why!

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:06:46

Thank you Grannyknot smile

If you go further down Paul's own site, there are some good photo's of it as a work in progress.

Jane10 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:06:15

Beautiful workmanship! Something to be very proud of having made.

Grannyknot Mon 10-Aug-15 17:51:16

I really like it smile!

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 17:50:07

PS Just noticed typo in the blog on the Fine Furniture website, wasn't me Guv, I wasn't asked to proofread it before it went up! (Not that I would have had time today........)

Anne58 Mon 10-Aug-15 17:45:50

Paul's table, may not be to everyones taste, but beautifully crafted, I hope you will agree.

www.finefurnituremaker.com/news-blog/student-furniture-makers-work-a-maker-year-92/

and some more here:

paulchilton.com/2015/08/08/black-swan-takes-flight/