Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What is your craft?

(174 Posts)
Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 12:46:18

I just said, on another thread, that I didn't take to card making because all my hard work gets thrown in the bin shock and it made me wonder what everyone else enjoys.

My craft seems to be "Christmas" which seems to suit my rather butterfly mind. It may, in any one year, include sewing, crochet (do knit but it's not a favourite), and original style decoupage - flat not 3D. I am currently learning to use a rather elderly embroidery machine which I bought second hand to personalise some gifts and decorations - it only has a small hoop but that is all I need and I am going to try folk art when there is a gap!

I am sure some of you are less inclined to flitter and I would love to know what you do.

millymouge Thu 19-May-16 16:16:04

My main craft is patchwork and quilting. Also like a bit of counted cross stitch for a change. I love it when I go to craft shows and see all the beautiful materials for sale, almost makes my mouth water. Just starting a new one, big, so will take me quite a long time to finish. But I don't mind that, lovely on a winters day sitting by the fire quilting.

jeffmccoy Mon 16-May-16 06:08:59

I dont like knit and i dont understand how to knit but usually i am making paper toys some times with my child for his project.

NanaHolly Tue 10-May-16 07:52:42

I dabble in pretty much anything (jack of all trades, master of none, more or less). At the moment, I've started shoemaking, and I'm finding it really challenging. Also a bit expensive to get started, but once I actually manage four pair, the investment should pay off. Unfortunately, the way things are going for me, it might take 5 years! confused
By then I'll likely be long since bored with it and on to the next fancy...

Gracesgran Wed 04-May-16 08:42:30

As I said in the OP my craft seems the be Christmas. That seems to be my excuse for doing anything that takes my fancy smile. I have just made this bauble (one bauble - two views). I am not sure why because it is not really my style but I wanted to learn the techniques and use them in my own designs - but where confused? I now have a bauble I am pleased with but no sense of where this is going - all help thankfully accepted.

(It took a huge number of beads!)

Auntieflo Tue 03-May-16 18:17:20

Following on from Jalima, yesterday I finished a Roman Blind for our kitchen. This was also upcycled from a new pair of charity shop curtains. I had to have a join in the centre, but am still pleased with it.

Felix2007 Tue 03-May-16 17:05:09

I am completely addicted to felting. Have done a few courses and workshops, and made loads of things, sold a few, but have lots of stuff in the drawer under the bed. The beads and jewellery and good for presents though. Otherwise I don't do it much now as am running out of space to store it away!

Nana3 Tue 08-Mar-16 07:46:49

granjura I have a friend, an Italian lady who is gifted, creative and can sew and knit without a pattern. She made her living designing hats, bags, slippers, coats in beautiful velvet fabric. She had a shop in Venice but is retired now.
I knit but only simple things with a pattern. I am teaching my granddaughter to use a sewing machine, it has stood her in good stead with a sewing project at school.

Nansypansy Tue 08-Mar-16 06:59:32

Although I enjoy patchwork and quilting, I would very much like to learn tatting. I got someone to come to our WI craft group but she really wasn't very good at teaching it. I've looked on YouTube but I still don't "get it", it's sooo frustrating.

simona818 Sun 28-Feb-16 17:46:07

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 15:28:04

No, not a frilly Austrian blind fgs!!
It is a smart, pleated Roman blind.

The rods came out of the old blind as well!

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 15:27:04

I made an Austrian blind the other day - was that craft or just a necessity because the one I liked in the shop was £120?

I upcycled an old but perfectly good curtain, found some tape and velcro in the sewing box, used rings and cord from the old blind so it cost me nothing.

f77ms Sat 27-Feb-16 15:20:00

Painting and sewing mainly . I do love upcycling clothing as someone else mentioned on this thread !( although I dislike the term upcycling )

The couple of months before Christmas I get busy making dolls pram quilt sets to sell on ebay , it is such a pleasure making them pretty with lace and ribbons , I don`t make a fortune but it pays for all the extras at Christmas .

I love your rugs Jinglebell .

BBbevan Sat 27-Feb-16 15:07:14

I knit mostly now. However, and this is art not craft, I have recently started life drawing classes. I was at art school in the 60's and just loved this discipline. I am really enjoying it

starlily106 Wed 17-Feb-16 00:11:13

i have tried lots of crafty things over the years at the sessions run by the council. watercolours, oils, decoupage, cards, calligraphy, glass jewellery using a kiln, general crafts, sugarcraft and cross-stitch and tapestry. now i am making jewellery, not at a class, just do it at home. i did try machine sewing, but i didn't enjoy it. so my sewing machine is now in the back of a cupboard gathering dust. i wont be doing any more tapestry either, after doing a picture of Tukenkamun which took 3 months, i decided to do one of Nefertiti which took over a year! i only finished it because it had cost too much money to let it go to waste.

Granny46 Fri 12-Feb-16 09:58:12

Like everyone else I have gone through the stages of knitting, sewing, macramé, pottery at night school and rug making, but recently have started learning stained glass! Mostly suncatchers and have exhausted giving presents so am trying some bigger pieces and candle holders. I am fortunate to have space at the back of the garage as it's too dangerous to cut glass in the house however everything else I can do inside. Will never be expert but steadily improving - I think!! Anyone else tackling stained glass?

Rhonab Tue 02-Feb-16 17:33:21

I do card-making, a bit of scrapbooking and knitting. I can also sew to an extent but seldom have time for it these days.
When I took the early retirement I envisioned happy days spent up in my craft attic making stuff, but alas it never quite worked out that way! ?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 02-Feb-16 14:21:31

I know that's an ad and I should report it, but oh! That's so nice. Might get one for daughter's birthday.

IvanS Tue 02-Feb-16 14:15:04

We make perosnalised papercuts. For example our famous Family Tree Picture Frame

granjura Fri 01-Jan-16 11:57:27

AnnieB - you own made macramé?

I can knit, crochet, sew - but always to a pattern. My mil would make everything, the most intricate patterns and designs- without a pattern at all- using the most expensive silks and wools - and knew every stitch that ever existed + her own inventions- now that was impressive. A couple of pins and chalk marks and she would cut quickly and confidently...

Faye Fri 01-Jan-16 11:15:08

I have always been envious of people who can sew or knit. Last year I started painting in acrylics but have now switched to oil. So much to learn but I could happily paint all day. I have finally found something I love to do!

sallyswin Fri 01-Jan-16 10:43:20

Patchwork/quilting with a bit of applique thrown in. I make quilts of varying sizes, wall hangings cushions, and I'm a bag addict. Never stuck when I need to buy a present, for example friend's new grandchildren get a baby quilt, and now we have got take our own bags shopping, personalized bags are appreciated. There's a uk Facebook group which now has almost 4,000 members and it was only formed about 2 years ago so it's definitely a re-emerging craft, and not just those old fashioned octagons our grandmother's made - even they have moved on!

Anniebach Fri 01-Jan-16 09:35:36

I use to have macrame in every room, even the bathroom

granjura Thu 31-Dec-15 17:15:54

And here comes my hippy streak - I love macramé ;) not done any for ages, but have started making stuff again- and will go on a course with a young woman near me who will teach me to make fine jewellery- much finer stuff than the big planters and hangings I used to do.

Nansypansy Thu 31-Dec-15 12:47:56

My main craft is patchwork & quilting. I've made lots of stuff and would love to sell it, but as I'd only get peanuts, I end up giving it away! By the way, has anyone got a light box they want to sell??

Marmight Sun 27-Dec-15 14:18:01

What an amazingly talented lot you are! I have been given a day's course for beginners at a screen-printing workshop by two of my DDs for Christmas. As someone who is ham-fisted at the best of times, I am hoping I have a hidden talent lurking somewhere .... tchgrin