Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Ironing board cover

(21 Posts)
Welshwife Thu 25-Feb-16 22:24:23

jsnarThank you! I will have a look myself now that sounds a good size for mine too.

jsnar5 Thu 25-Feb-16 21:50:08

I have finally ordered one from ebay. I think the issue I had was looking for extra large when I should have put in jumbo. Welshwife the one I have found is 152 x 60. Hopefully it will fit

Welshwife Wed 24-Feb-16 09:11:11

I need a new cover but my board is 150x50 cms and so far I have failed to find one big enough - 145 seems to be the longest I can find on Amazon. The one I have on it currently is a bit narrow and I had to stick the edges underneath with duct tape.

Auntieflo Wed 24-Feb-16 08:41:03

All this chat about ironing board covers, made me wonder about the boards themselves? Mine, still going strong, was a wedding present, and will be 55 years old this September. It has had more covers than I can remember, and I usually have to custom fit it to the shape . It was made by Camyad, and according to one I saw on Ebay, is classed as vintage, just like me, wink, and although when folding it up it sometimes throws a hissy fit and leaves screws and washers on the floor, requiring more hands than I have to put them back, I wouldn't change it.

BBbevan Tue 23-Feb-16 09:23:33

Measure then try John Lewis or Amazon

suzied Tue 23-Feb-16 06:06:48

At my sewing class they always cover the ironing boards with thick calico which they secure with safety pins. It seems to work.

Kittye Mon 22-Feb-16 20:20:06

I have a large ironing board and have bought replacement covers from John Lewis.

Elrel Mon 22-Feb-16 20:11:01

NOW I see in kitty lester's post above that Brabantia do various sizes. Had I only known!! I need the 'petite' or 'junior' I think.

Elrel Mon 22-Feb-16 20:06:55

For years I was ok with the ironing board I bought for a fiver from my greengrocer who'd had it out on the street for displaying his veg for years. It may have been when I retired that I treated myself to the expensive 'state of the art' board from the Lakeland catalogue, complete with Cath Kidston cover.
It's bigger than I am, not quite as heavy, and vicious. After several years I still have trouble putting the thing up and down, have bumped my head, hurt my hands and almost been folded into its jaws. I don't iron very often now!

shysal Mon 22-Feb-16 16:24:32

Apologies, my cover is size E, a bit wider than the D.

shysal Mon 22-Feb-16 16:19:37

My ironing board is extra wide, and the Brabantia size D fits well. I use a set of these to secure it, and leave the old cover on underneath.

thatbags Mon 22-Feb-16 09:07:47

I use a very large folded towel, one I used as a blanket when I lived in Thailand. I've sewn it on. It will last for years.

kittylester Mon 22-Feb-16 07:17:55

I have a large ironing board and can always find one on Amazon as jogginggirl said. Brabantia have lots of different sizes.

J52 Mon 22-Feb-16 06:06:54

I buy the silvered heat reflecting ones and put it on top of the existing cover.

Wilkinson so do very cheap 100% cotton sheets, if you need one.

x

jogginggirl Sun 21-Feb-16 22:37:28

This link might be helpful jsnar5 - my ironing board is huge and I find one that fits here...
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004EY2R6S/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1456094086&sr=1&keywords=ironing+board+cover

M0nica Sun 21-Feb-16 22:13:51

But it needs to be a cotton or linen sheet. Most modern sheets, even in charity shops,are polycotton and that is far too thin and flimsy.

rubysong Sun 21-Feb-16 21:56:52

You could get an old sheet or duvet cover from a charity shop to make a new cover.

midgey Sun 21-Feb-16 21:23:56

In "those" days you never thought of buying an ironing board cover, you made one out of an old sheet with a blanket underneath, so perhaps you could use a cheap new sheet!

wot Sun 21-Feb-16 21:20:04

Have you tried the elasticated ones? I've got a large board and these do fit well although only last 2 years at most. They are elasticated all round the edge. You may have to put a large stitch right a cross underneath it. They cost about £4

tanith Sun 21-Feb-16 21:06:09

I have a large ironing board too but I manage to buy one to fit in fact its actually overlarge, I cannot remember where I bought the last one though sorry.

jsnar5 Sun 21-Feb-16 20:42:03

My ironing board seems to be larger than most so is impossible to by a cover that really fits. A couple of years ago I recovered the board and was really pleased with the way it came out. Over time it has become stained and now started to tear. I want to cover it again but what material would you suggest for the top cover? I used a plain cotton previously but I need something stronger and not sure what I am looking for when looking at the decriptions on line