Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Helping grandchildren with crafts

(8 Posts)
Liz46 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:10:52

Thank you shysal. It's better done while she is young. Both her mother and father have had problems with their tonsils.

Indinana, that is a lovely page. I did help her make a small crochet basket for little Easter eggs a few months ago and she very proudly presented it to her Mum when she came to collect her. Thank you for taking the trouble to post the link. I shall get printing. I want to be prepared with things to keep her busy.

Indinana Sat 11-Jun-16 17:44:34

Have a look at this Pinterest page, with lots of ideas for crocheted bowls of all sizes. I always think a little bowl is something any little girl would love to have in her bedroom to store her hair bands and bobbles etc. And so much better if she's made it herself!

shysal Sat 11-Jun-16 17:33:52

My grandchildren always enjoy baking. You could make a dough for her to shape on a tray if she is in bed or seated. Or you could make a non-edible dough to be moulded into figures or jewellery then baked and painted. There are recipes on line.
I hope your GD will make a quick recovery. flowers

Liz46 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:24:58

Thank you all. Elrel, you have just jogged my memory. I think I have a cross stitch kit that I picked up in a charity shop. I'll go and look for it.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 15:32:54

ps ours used to be better than that - we used more yarn so they were fatter! And they had legs too.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 15:32:04

Have you got one of those knitting dollies (we used to use cotton reels with nails stuck into them)
She could make a long tube then turn it into a circular mat.

We used to make little dolls (like making pom-poms, winding the wool round a stiff card then tying it, cutting ends to make hands, feet, a head etc), not allowed to use the word we used to call them but you know the kind I mean.
www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Yarn-Doll

They could be a bit young for her, but might be fun to do.

Elrel Sat 11-Jun-16 15:24:23

Not crochet but a few ideas:
Children's crossstitch kits, or large holed Binca canvas, wool and a chunky needle for her own designs.
Hama mosaics if you can stand the teeny beads involved.
Scraper board? Especially if you can get the original plain card rather than the 'ready made' pictures.
GD used to love the thin sticks of wax modelling material - Wiki Stix I think, clean and simple to use but can be used for any design.
Hope all goes well and you have fun together!

Liz46 Sat 11-Jun-16 14:49:08

My nine year old grand daughter is having her tonsils out and I am helping to look after her while she is off school. We have done some knitting and crochet and I think she prefers crochet. I have looked at 'Hopeful Honey' website but could do with some simple ideas. Could anyone help please?
By the way, the duck bootees on Hopeful Honey are very amusing. I have made some and sold them in aid of the local,children's hospice.