Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Cat fur yarn

(12 Posts)
tiggypiro Sun 05-Mar-17 08:30:12

Years ago when I was spinning I did spin dog hair (never got enough to do anything useful with. There is bound to be a local spinning group near you who would beable to help.

BBbevan Sun 05-Mar-17 05:45:18

Yuk!!!

annodomini Sat 04-Mar-17 10:17:27

If all else fails, the OP would find the local sparrows (and other birds) happy to make use of the surplus fur.

Jane10 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:51:53

Birmans eh! Love them.

shysal Sat 04-Mar-17 09:13:38

This looks like an interesting book, and not as ambitious as knitting a jumper.
Crafting with Cat Hair
My brother used to have a Birman called Raffles but he left home and moved in with my mother, who lived nearby and had tastier treats!

rosesarered Sat 04-Mar-17 08:46:59

Sorry OP, that doesn't help with your quest does it? You should contact your local WI as I used to know a few spinners , so a likely source.Don't know if they would want to spin cat hair, but you never know.

rosesarered Sat 04-Mar-17 08:44:55

Our DD has a Birman, long cream hair everywhere! He only really responds to our SIL and follows him around like a dog would.He sneakily bites our DD and DGS!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 04-Mar-17 08:20:12

I have a book (from decades ago) called Knitting With Dog Hair (I have never had a dog and I can't knit but somehow seem to have held on to it)

Jane10 Sat 04-Mar-17 06:30:48

We could most certainly provide enough moulted cat fur to knit hundreds of jumpers! nansypansy you are so lucky to have Birmans. We had one which we loved dearly until her sad demise. She was a great character -a little tart who wouldn't even look at me if there was a man in the room!

Lisalou Fri 03-Mar-17 21:31:38

You are pulling our legs, arent you?

Auntieflo Tue 28-Feb-17 08:43:32

You could advertise locally and see if there is a spinning/weaving group nearby.

Nansypansy Tue 28-Feb-17 07:06:14

My two beautiful Birman cats are beginning their spring moult and I'm wondering if any knows of anyone with a spinning wheel who could spin the fur into yarn for me?