Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I'm making my own perfume

(12 Posts)
overthehill Sat 01-Apr-17 16:47:53

This very new to me. I digress slightly, I went on youtube to see how to make your own reed difussers as I am fed up with buying ones that only last a short while. Since having a go at that I decided to take it a step further and try making my own perfume with essential oils.

I have done a bit of research and bought a couple of bottle of the oils and waiting for some more to come.

I have made one up with Sandalwood and Lavender so far and I am surprised how powerful it is compared to comercial stuff. I am pleased about that.

Not to sure whether to mix them with vodka (yes vodka) or a base oil. I've tried both. The problem with the base oil it doesn't rub in very well and I'm afraid of getting it on my clothes. Using alcohol is better but maybe that might irritate my skin.

If anyone else does this, I would love to hear how you get on.

rubysong Sat 01-Apr-17 19:04:30

I'm sure it will be more fragrant than the mixtures of rose petals and water I was forever making as a child.

mefinest Fri 28-Jul-17 09:42:36

I'm going to have to give this a go at some point. I too used to make rose water.

cornergran Fri 28-Jul-17 10:00:45

Younger granddaughter was doing just that yesterday, rubysong, truly 'special' smile. Interested to know what you eventually decide on, overthehill, I'll be looking up the reed diffusers and may progress from there.

kezia Fri 28-Jul-17 10:09:01

I do this and use a variety of base oils. My current favourite is peach kernel oil, which is light and absorbs easily. Also use fractionated coconut oil and sweet almond oil.

TriciaF Fri 28-Jul-17 14:01:03

My friend and I used to make rose water too.
We searched for empty bottles to put it into and tried to sell it. One person refused it because it was in a TCP bottle and only smelled of that. sad

mimiro Fri 28-Jul-17 14:21:30

www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading-and-Livestock/Scented-Oil-Perfumes

giulia Sun 24-Sep-17 13:58:05

Mix your essential oils (lavendar, for example), with simple de-mineralised water - what you put into your steam iron - and then put into a spray container.

MesMopTop Sat 14-Oct-17 03:21:57

Thanks for this over thrill. I love my perfumes and quite fancy having a go myself. That link posted by Moro was very useful., could be a really lovely hobby.

MesMopTop Sat 14-Oct-17 03:24:30

Overthehill and Mimiro. So sorry, just shows it pays to check a post as what you type isn't always what gets written! I do rather like the name Overthrill though, makes the mind wonder ?

WilliamLundquist Wed 28-Feb-18 12:00:19

Wow! That is so cool! I have never done this, but love to do this.

Nelliemoser Sun 04-Mar-18 21:08:53

Isn't making your own perfume with a jam jar and flower petals what you do when you are about 5yrs old? ?